Andy Katz shares his top 11 candidates for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar award (#9. Oturu)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Katz:

The Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award goes to the top center annually in men's college basketball. Andy Katz breaks down his picks for the top 11 candidates entering 2019-20.

9. Daniel Oturu, So., Minnesota: Oturu didn’t have to be a dominant player last season with Jordan Murphy taking care of most of the board work. But Oturu is done with his apprenticeship and it’s his time to take over the post. He should be ready to handle the responsibility and be a major factor in the Big Ten.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...res-his-top-11-candidates-kareem-abdul-jabbar

Go Gophers!!

Wow. If Oturu is one of the 10 best centers in college basketball, that would be very good news for the Gophers.

I really don't think he needs to be a huge scorer. I want to see him play solid defense and rebound, and get put-back baskets. And - stay out of foul trouble. Until the Gophers know where Curry is at, they need Oturu to log some major minutes. He cannot be on the bench with 2 fouls at the 8-minute mark of the 1st half. If Curry is healthy, and is able to contribute, that changes the equation.

Wow. If Oturu is one of the 10 best centers in college basketball, that would be very good news for the Gophers.

I really don't think he needs to be a huge scorer. I want to see him play solid defense and rebound, and get put-back baskets. And - stay out of foul trouble. Until the Gophers know where Curry is at, they need Oturu to log some major minutes. He cannot be on the bench with 2 fouls at the 8-minute mark of the 1st half. If Curry is healthy, and is able to contribute, that changes the equation.

You’re really selling Oturu short if you don’t think he will be a go to scorer and his primary source of points will come from put backs. He’s a guy who teams are going to want to double in the post. If he’s got a 1-on-1 in the post, he’s going to score or get fouled.

You’re really selling Oturu short if you don’t think he will be a go to scorer and his primary source of points will come from put backs. He’s a guy who teams are going to want to double in the post. If he’s got a 1-on-1 in the post, he’s going to score or get fouled.

I agree with Soze. In fact, Pitino likes to feed the post. Oturu is going to have a ton of opportunities to make a difference.

Interesting rankings with four bigten guys. Watkins was honorable mention, no mention of Smith at Maryland, which surprised me. Haarms at six, Wesson three, Teske at seven. Obviously Oturu at nine. I find Haarms to be extremely overrated. Definitely would take all the above in this league before him, would take Reuvers over him as well, though not sure I'd he's Center or a PF this year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This team will definitely not make the tournament tournament if Oturu isn’t a go to scorer on this team. And he needs to be play better than just “solid” defense, he needs to play excellent defense if we want to have a decent year. Without Coffey, Oturu needs to become a star. I’m not necessarily saying it will happen but if it doesn’t then this definitely isn’t a tourney team (and maybe isn’t even if he is a star).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm NOT saying Oturu can't score - I'm saying that this team has other guys who should be able to score. But, unless Curry overcomes his injuries, or one of the kids is a phenom, Oturu has to provide defense and rebounding. I see that as the top priority. If he can do that, and be a big-time scorer too, that's great. But I just think defense and rebounding are the top priority from that spot on the floor. Now, if Curry comes back 100% healthy, then that frees up Oturu to look for his own shot more. But until Curry proves he is healthy and can stay healthy, I don't think you can count on him.

Again - not saying Oturu can't score. but I think the team needs defense and rebounding from him more than they need points.

I'm NOT saying Oturu can't score - I'm saying that this team has other guys who should be able to score. But, unless Curry overcomes his injuries, or one of the kids is a phenom, Oturu has to provide defense and rebounding. I see that as the top priority. If he can do that, and be a big-time scorer too, that's great. But I just think defense and rebounding are the top priority from that spot on the floor. Now, if Curry comes back 100% healthy, then that frees up Oturu to look for his own shot more. But until Curry proves he is healthy and can stay healthy, I don't think you can count on him.

Again - not saying Oturu can't score. but I think the team needs defense and rebounding from him more than they need points.
Defense is priority on all spots on the floor, doesn't stop anyone else from scoring it won't stop Daniel. Big fellas got a eat

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You’re talking as if playing defense and rebounding means he has to shoot less. He can do all of the above. You’re over thinking this.

He can and will be a go to scorer for us regardless of how he prioritizes defense and rebounding.

Top Bottom