Phil Steele

swingman

Reaction score
Steele says three of his power ranking sets have Golden Gophers with double digit wins. Some have them winning West. He goes with NE, IA, WI, MN, NW. PU, IL in his Big Ten West preview order. Calls it hard to predict. Some models have Gophs 7-5.

these are power poll rankings (combination of nine power ranking evaluations he does) of talent, production...does not factor in who team plays):

mi 5, osu 6, msu 14, psu 16, Iowa 18, isu 26, wi 28, ne 31, mn 32, nw 43, Purdue 51, Fresno 59, Maryland 78, GSU 91, Illini 92, Rutgers 97.

plus/minus is one of the power rankings...relative difference in teams seen...for example ia, ne, mn, wi all very close:
Mi 128.66, OSU 127.47, PSU 125.69, MSU 124.38, Iowa 123.6, NE 121.62, Wi 121.01, MN 120.91, NW 117, Purdue 115.68, In 114.
91, md 111.17 Fresno 109.99, il 106.23, gsu 105.68, Rutgers 104.07

The West is a crap-shoot. Who knows. Maybe have to go an 8 layer deep tiebreaker.

some individual stuff:

Carter Coughlin 4th team AllAmerican at DE.

Tyler Johnson #5 draft eligible WR. First team all big wr.

Winfield first team all big safety. #12 among draft eligible.

Kamal Martin #15 draft eligible olb.

Bateman 2nd team AllBig with Coughlin and Douglas (pr).

Mo Ibrahim. Faalele, Herbers, Douglas (kr) third team big.

Barber 4th team.

Olson #15 draft eligible centers.

Ibrahim, Smith 51 and 61 draft eligible rbs.

some team stuff:
#3 in Big for experience, #27 in nation.
#15 in nation special teams.
#19 in nation rb unit.
#24 in nation wr unit.
#39 ol unit.
#49 most difficult schedule...wi 20, pu 22, nw 34, is 37, il 48, ne 59.

computer model projects 33.9 points per game...only mi and osu higher in big.

defense projects at 22.5 per game...6th in big. 2nd in West (Ia).

Rose bowl!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Does Steele rated completely untested players at the helmet schools higher than established players? I’m genuinely interested how Steele approaches these All-Big Ten selections. For example, if Bateman were at Michigan does that get him a bump in the rankings - not that he’s being dissed - but his production could and should explode this year.

He has Michigan to final four and Nebraska to Rose Bowl.

Win the West and go to Pasdena?
I just like saying "Rose Bowl!". It harkens back to when I had student tickets during the Wacker years.... Any time anything positive happened in a game, we'd yell "Rose Bowl!".

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

He has Michigan to final four and Nebraska to Rose Bowl.

Win the West and go to Pasdena?

Can’t believe that Michigan is being picked. I see they lost another player to the transfer portal. Wide receiver Oliver Martin - top 3 recruit out of Iowa, and sounds as if he will transfer to Iowa. I think that he is the third player leaving The maze and blue.

Top Bottom