Shama: Fleck said win over uw last year set tone for next 2-3 decades for program

While I like the attitude reality says if we get beat this year or next and it's all for nothing. We've been here before. Not to poo poo the win or the thought that we are doing something special here though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything "starts" in a place where the next year it could have stopped... except the times it didn't, and then there is your starting point.

You know. . . I don't totally disagree with what he said.

Let's just assume PJ turns the program around and we are eventually going to win the Big 10 West and eventually Big 10 Championships, etc., etc. Let's just assume that all happens within the next 7 years, I think we will all look back at that WI game as a really important part of the process. That WI game is just symbolic of the growth of the team (in attitude, athleticism, etc.).

Let's say we become the next WI and we are good for 20-30 years. I think that game is part of that history and an important part of it symbolically. I think that's true even though no one on the 2047 Gopher squad will have any idea about that game (except maybe Carter Coughlin Jr. or Antoine Winfield III).

I don't think many of the current Badger players (maybe even some of the coaches) remember their 1993 win over Michigan, but it is, at least symbolically, a big part of why WI is where they are now.

Very solid take, and I can see your point. Time will tell that story. I see the Purdue game as or maybe more a part of a turning point, and I look at the Badger and bowl wins as supporting that idea. The talent and ability was there all season, so I also can't help but continue to think that but for the ill-fated defensive scheme, the whole 2018 season would be viewed as a potential turning point.

Oh, I assume there will be a couple Barbers on that 2047 squad as well!

Purdue finished 6-7 with a 63-14 loss in their bowl game. Wisconsin was 8-5. Georgia Tech finished 7-6. Define decent for me?

A team going to a bowl game?

Well said!

The "all our other coaches" quote from your friend is so typical, true-blue Minnesotan. ONE coach left for a better job, and suddenly it's "all" our coaches. The hard truth: if we don't think we deserve success, it's pretty unlikely we'll ever achieve it.

The last (bolded) part of your post is concise and spot-on:

STEP 1) Hire a top-notch coach, and then...

STEP 2) Do whatever is necessary to retain him.[/B]

That quote deserves a greeting card.....

RM_Quote-01.jpg

Last edited:

Purdue finished 6-7 with a 63-14 loss in their bowl game. Wisconsin was 8-5. Georgia Tech finished 7-6. Define decent for me?

Wow. You really need the word decent defined for you?

Ummmm... okay. Here's Merriam Webster's definition of decent:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/decent

Number 4 is the one that applies here, in case you're confused...

Purdue destroyed OSU, Wisconsin was down a little last year, but still pretty good, and GT had some nice wins against other “decent” teams. None of them are pushovers.

The Gophers didn’t just beat those teams. They took their manhood in the process.

Purdue destroyed OSU, Wisconsin was down a little last year, but still pretty good, and GT had some nice wins against other “decent” teams. None of them are pushovers.

The Gophers didn’t just beat those teams. They took their manhood in the process.

Yes. Well said.

I wonder: when was the last time Minnesota finished a season this strong? In their last four games, Minnesota beat three bowl-bound teams — and beat them convincingly.

Maybe Coach Fleck wasn’t implying that the Gophers be on the same level as Wisconsin for the next 20 years, but that physical style of play displayed in that game is how he envisions the program going forward. An OL that physically punishes the defensive front and breaks their will by the 4th quarter, a defense that harasses the QB, doesn’t give up big plays, and capitalizes on opportunities for takeaways?

PJ uses a lot of coach speak. In coach speak, “set the tone” means this is how we want the game to look, this is how we are going to play. Setting the tone for the next decades means we aren’t going to be a limp dick program that gets out physicaled on a weekly basis as past gopher squads have been. In my opinion he was not saying we will win the west annually for the next 20 years like some of you are accusing him of.

Maybe Coach Fleck wasn’t implying that the Gophers be on the same level as Wisconsin for the next 20 years, but that physical style of play displayed in that game is how he envisions the program going forward. An OL that physically punishes the defensive front and breaks their will by the 4th quarter, a defense that harasses the QB, doesn’t give up big plays, and capitalizes on opportunities for takeaways?

PJ uses a lot of coach speak. In coach speak, “set the tone” means this is how we want the game to look, this is how we are going to play. Setting the tone for the next decades means we aren’t going to be a limp dick program that gets out physicaled on a weekly basis as past gopher squads have been. In my opinion he was not saying we will win the west annually for the next 20 years like some of you are accusing him of.

1) Why shouldn't Minnesota be on the same level as Wisconsin? Do Gopher fans see getting to Wisconsin's level as some kind of impossible dream?

2) I don't remember Kill's or Claeys' teams as "limp dick". Nor do I recall those teams getting physically pushed around "on a weekly basis". Which Gopher teams from the past were you referring to?

Give me a break. Setting the tone would be a win in the Rose bowl followed by a great recruiting class. Then and maybe then you can set a tone for the future. Won't matter to him though, we win the Rose bowl and he will be history before the plane returns from Pasadena.
Honestly I could live with that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

To be fair, Purdue beat Ohio State, had a winning record in conference and curbstomoed an at the time ranked VC Team. Had a bad loss to EMU but they also okayed Mizzou out of conference and a top ten Auburn team in the bowl

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You just know Muhammad Ali stepped into the ring and each time thought Oh man I bet I **** up again tonight!

When he fought Sonny Liston, I'll bet Ali was thinking, "Who am I kidding? I don't belong in the same ring with this guy! And even if a miracle occurs and I win the championship, my manager will immediately parlay that success into getting a job with a better fighter, thereby leaving me behind."

At least, that's what he'd be thinking if he was from Minnesota.

Look, let's be honest - the key moment of the 2018 season did not take place on a football field. It took place in an office somewhere, when Fleck and/or Coyle told Robb Smith "You're Fired!"

If that moment doesn't take place, the win over Wisconsin would not have taken place.

Only Fleck can't say "firing our gawd-awful DC set the tone for the future."

I always love when someone can tell us what PJ really meant........

Ya, well a lot of us always love it when you can tell us that's not what PJ should say. So keep on crusading until your feelings are hurt and you slink away for a while again.

I always love when someone can tell us what PJ really meant........

Just as good a guess as any of the other jokers on this board

Down a little? Wisconsin started the year as a darling outsider pick for the national title. They crumbled and crumbled hard.

Last edited:

Ya, well a lot of us always love it when you can tell us that's not what PJ should say.

Thanks. Sometimes I feel like my efforts aren’t appreciated. It is always good to hear they are by some.

Down a little? Wisconsin started the year as a darling outsider pick for the national title. They crumbled and crumbled hard.

Well, the Badgers certainly appeared to be 'well-crumbled' after the Gophers got through with them, and grabbed the Axe.

Of course, we all recall how Wisconsin then proceeded to 'un-crumble' in their bowl game, curb-stomping the Miami Hurricanes 35-3. Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmm"...

So, yeah... the Badgers finished 8-5. It's all about perspective, I guess. If it makes you feel better, you can always do what certain GopherHolers have done with certain Gophers victories in the past, and give the Minnesota win over Wisconsin in the Axe game an asterisk:

Minnesota 37, Wisconsin 15*

As I said before, I am not a Fleckster - but I do give the guy grudging credit for being true to himself.

I have reached the point where I believe that this is not an act. This is who Fleck is. This is who he's going to be. He says what he thinks. Now, I retain the right to disagree with what he says, but I believe that he is being genuine. He is just "on" all the time.

Unlike some coaches, he is willing to make bold statements. You might think that some of the statements are ridiculous, but again, I don't think it's an act.

In the end, it still comes down to recruiting and winning. If he brings in better players, and wins games, I can ignore the verbiage and appreciate the results. And if he doesn't win, then sooner or later he'll be gone. it's that simple.

But - with a personality like Fleck, it's going to be an all-or-nothing response. The people who like him REALLY like him. The people who dislike him REALLY dislike him. That is part of the package. You hire a coach like Fleck, that's what you get. for better or worse.

make no mistake - I would still rather have a less flamboyant coach. On some level, I don't think I will ever be happy with Fleck's personality. but, I have worked for years with people I didn't like all that much. I can deal with a football coach who isn't my cup of tea.

Fleck backs it up with stellar recruiting , coaching, deveoping.. wish the almighty one on the basketball side could learn to carry flecks water

Fleck backs it up with stellar recruiting , coaching, deveoping.. wish the almighty one on the basketball side could learn to carry flecks water

I'm not sure I'd call the recruiting stellar just yet. Stellar is a bit strong for bottom 3 or 4 in the big ten.

I'm not sure I'd call the recruiting stellar just yet. Stellar is a bit strong for bottom 3 or 4 in the big ten.

How do we define 'stellar' recruiting?

Is it recruiting at Alabama's level?

Ohio State's level?

Maryland's level?

Indiana's level?

Is it defined by the numbers of stars and/or dots awarded by various services, while the recruits are still in high school?

Or do you wait, and evaluate the recruits after they've had a chance to actually produce in college?

It's the problem we face when rating recruiting classes, I guess.

...beating an unrated team...sets the tone for decades...objectively absurd

I think at some point someone was a jerk on GH and set the tone ...

No. Since the other gopher site you can’t post
Anything negative about almighty rich.
I thought I would see what this board felt
About both fleck and rich

Well, you got the right board but wrong thread for this response...

Top Bottom