Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Here's the solution. The NCAA and the NBA purchase all the shot clocks for all the schools in all their gyms and field houses so that they can continue to find great players.
    Obviously the lack of a shot clock is hindering Minnesota athletes from being noticed by the NBA and top colleges. It's the reason why Tre Jones and Matthew Hurt ended up at an outpost dumpster fire like Duke.

I'd be okay with a say 40 or 45 shot clock, plenty of time to run an offense but not hold the ball forever.

Anyone who thinks the purpose of high school sports is to get kids college scholarships is pretty much clueless

I think Chet is getting the MSHSL and his AAU coach confused. Haha

The MSHSL has never said that it is their job to get kids ready for the next level. Their mission statement is something about providing educational opportunities for kids through interscholastic activities. John Millea on his podcast with Souhan said the same thing when asked about the shot clock debate. The question was around the proposal for shot clocks saying it would help athletes get ready for the next level. Millea quickly pointed out that getting athletes ready for the next level has never been their job citing the data of how many kids actually go on to college athletics.
    THIS IS....GOLDEN....GOPHER.....BASKETBALL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherholefan View Post
    I think Chet is getting the MSHSL and his AAU coach confused. Haha

The MSHSL has never said that it is their job to get kids ready for the next level. Their mission statement is something about providing educational opportunities for kids through interscholastic activities. John Millea on his podcast with Souhan said the same thing when asked about the shot clock debate. The question was around the proposal for shot clocks saying it would help athletes get ready for the next level. Millea quickly pointed out that getting athletes ready for the next level has never been their job citing the data of how many kids actually go on to college athletics.
    Agreed, sports in highschool are about learning lessons to use later in life. I know this isn't basketball but I read the other day something like 2.5% of highschool football players play D1 football in college. That's pretty minuscule. Probably similar percentage of D1 players make the NFL (maybe 2%?). I'm in favor of a shot clock actually, but Chet's comments seem way off base.
    Who hates iowa?

I agree that shot clocks would make the games more fun to watch (and coach, incidentally).

I think itís ridiculous to think the MSHSLís job is to get kids scholarships. Maybe thatís how he sees it because he is only acquainted with his own situation. The vast majority of kids will not play beyond high school.

I also think that some are being really generous and/or presumptuous with other peopleís money. Rural districts have constant financial squeezes and literally canít afford it. Donations? Maybe. MSHSL? Doubtful. NCAA/NBA? Donít bet on it. If they bought them for Minnesota, 49 other states would come calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the same time, High schools find money for things they want. And the vast majority of schools have booster clubs that fund-raise for projects, like new wrestling mats, etc. A lot of schools in my neck of the woods have added new high-tech scoreboards with video displays - in many cases, funded through annual donations from local businesses. In the city where I live, I know a local business that would probably donate funds for shot clocks if asked. (and they make a darn good zero-turn radius mower....)

So $5,000 or $10,000 for shot clocks is doable. Cost alone should not be the deciding factor. I would rather have this decided on whether it's good for the sport of basketball.

(and speaking of spending other people's money, what about those cheap Pohlads..........)

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser SŲze View Post
    When it does happen, it's because one of the teams knows they're completely outmatched. I haven't been to any Minnehaha games, but given how good they are and how weak some of their competition is, I wouldn't be surprised if teams try that "strategy" against them a handful of times per season. It only takes one time to be completely sick of it.
    This doesn't make sense.

To be even have the option of holding the ball, a team has to be facing a passive zone defense that will not extend. Minnehaha plays a high pressure defense so this wouldn't be a possibility against them. As do most of the high level MN HS teams.

Quote Originally Posted by jovs View Post
    I'd be okay with a say 40 or 45 shot clock, plenty of time to run an offense but not hold the ball forever.
    I tend to agree with this. Very pro shot clock, but 40 seconds would be fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    He's not totally wrong, but honestly how often does it happen where a team holds the ball for 3-4 minutes? I see maybe 15 or so high school games per year, and the only time I ever remember seeing it was that Hopkins-Shakopee game. I think there may have been one other state tournament game where it happened too but I didn't see that one.

It would cost over a million dollars to put shot clocks at every school, plus each school would have to train and pay shot clock operators for every game. Just seems like a ton of money to be spending to fix something that only happens once in a blue moon. If it were a safety issue I would feel differently, but obviously it's not.

RJ talked about it a little bit on Twitter and he basically said that if they can gather up that kind of money it would be better spent on coaching salaries or coaching/referee education. I tend to agree with that take.
    Not even close to a million dollars.

Last year, I was at my son’s 2A game in the east metro. Our coach changed defenses with 10 minutes left in the half. The opposing coach was offended by the zone defense, and told his kid to hold the ball. Our coach in turn told his players to back off. The ball was not bounced for 8 minutes as both coaches dug in. It was a ridiculous awkward situation. It didn’t help that one team was all black students, fans and coach, and the other mostly white students, fans and coach. A lot of awkwardness and poor integrity were involved.

Not having a shot clock, very stupid and short sighted decision by the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertbobcat View Post
    Not even close to a million dollars.
    $2,500 per shot clock X 2 shot clocks per court X 407 MSHSL boys basketball teams = $2,035,000

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    Last year, I was at my sonís 2A game in the east metro. Our coach changed defenses with 10 minutes left in the half. The opposing coach was offended by the zone defense, and told his kid to hold the ball. Our coach in turn told his players to back off. The ball was not bounced for 8 minutes as both coaches dug in. It was a ridiculous awkward situation. It didnít help that one team was all black students, fans and coach, and the other mostly white students, fans and coach. A lot of awkwardness and poor integrity were involved.

Not having a shot clock, very stupid and short sighted decision by the league.
    As a former coach I've never ran the strategy, but I've also never been against a coaches right to do so. The team in the lead has earned a right to dictate some pace and play. If a team is sitting in a pack in 2-3 zone and losing, the coach is not a coward for making a team come out and defend them. MSHSL has a closely guarded rule to not allow a team to stall.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    $2,500 per shot clock X 2 shot clocks per court X 407 MSHSL boys basketball teams = $2,035,000
    Technically $1 million isn't close to $2 million...

If you don't like a team stalling, then force them out of the stall.

I saw a hall of fame high school coach at ROCORI get down 16-4 early in the game vs. Nate Wolters. He told his kids to hold the ball so they wouldn't lose by as much. They were down a dozen and stalled. Lost by 35ish once the coach with the lead got annoyed and decided to play pressure defense, which turned into a full court press. Was embarrassing for all involved.

But thats like 1 game out of 1000s