Twins Adjust Entrance Policy - "Hold Your Phone"

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
The Twins have had trouble getting their fans in the gates efficiently lately so they're changing their security policy to "Hold your phone".

https://www.mlb.com/twins/fans/infographics/entry-policies

In short fans can go through security holding their phone, small purse, keys, wallet and etc.

It would be nice to see such a policy extended to TCF as I don't think they're stopping anything bad from happening with their current policy that couldn't just happen in the line outside the gate anyway .... and that isn't happening so what are we really doing with all this theater?

TCF security lines are a joke. Super slow and even the process is pointless. My wife had two beers in her purse from tailgating that she forgot about. They opened her bag and didn't even take them or notice them. Just looking to look. Not paying any attention.

Two free beers for us though.

TCF security lines are a joke. Super slow and even the process is pointless. My wife had two beers in her purse from tailgating that she forgot about. They opened her bag and didn't even take them or notice them. Just looking to look. Not paying any attention.

Two free beers for us though.

I used to wheel my grandfather in on his wheelchair and I just put my bags on his lap under a blanket.

They would just wave us through.

That's nice, but you could fit a 500 pound bomb in that chair.... like there's no security against anything here so why delay everyone?

I used to wheel my grandfather in on his wheelchair and I just put my bags on his lap under a blanket.

They would just wave us through.

That's nice, but you could fit a 500 pound bomb in that chair.... like there's no security against anything here so why delay everyone?

I agree 100%. Maybe the idea of security will deter people?

I agree 100%. Maybe the idea of security will deter people?

It doesn't seem likely as anyone who wanted to do a bad thing could just ... do that bad thing in the huge crowd waiting at the gate.

It doesn't seem that different and really if you were a organized bad guy... nobody at the gate is stopping anyone determined to be bad from getting into the stadium and it's not like the whole stadium crowd could just leave it they heard about bad things at the gate.

Just

It doesn't seem likely as anyone who wanted to do a bad thing could just ... do that bad thing in the huge crowd waiting at the gate.

This has always been my gripe about 'security for show' measures. When your measures simply create such a huge crowd (target) waiting to get through 'security', does the bad guy really even need to get into the stadium (or onto the plane, etc.) anymore?

It doesn't seem that different and really if you were a organized bad guy... nobody at the gate is stopping anyone determined to be bad from getting into the stadium and it's not like the whole stadium crowd could just leave it they heard about bad things at the gate.

Just

Stadium security is 99% for show because they know that the odds of anything actually happening at any given venue each night is super low. That said, if they abandon the screening and something does happen they would get destroyed for it. So they do the screening to try and catch the low hanging fruit and hopefully discourage anything from happening.

But yeah, anyone that is truly motivated to do something bad at an event isn't going to be stopped by the stadium security at most places. It just might inconvenience them a little while they figure out the best way around it.

This has always been my gripe about 'security for show' measures. When your measures simply create such a huge crowd (target) waiting to get through 'security', does the bad guy really even need to get into the stadium (or onto the plane, etc.) anymore?

Well, planes can actually crash into things so I'm glad we're doing what we can to keep them safe. But your point is taken about all the other events where crowds gather.

Stadium security is 99% for show because they know that the odds of anything actually happening at any given venue each night is super low. That said, if they abandon the screening and something does happen they would get destroyed for it. So they do the screening to try and catch the low hanging fruit and hopefully discourage anything from happening.

But yeah, anyone that is truly motivated to do something bad at an event isn't going to be stopped by the stadium security at most places. It just might inconvenience them a little while they figure out the best way around it.

This. I’m assuming it’s all either for “show” to cover their asses from potential backlash. Or really, I’m guessing to mitigate potential lawsuits if something were to happen.

Everybody knows the system they have in place does absolutely nothing to prevent shenanigans if you’re out to create them. With small kids, we have to load up our diapers, etc. in the clear bags. Not once have they rummaged through them. I always am carrying a child in one arm, full clear bag and seat cushions in the other, with phone, keys, etc. in my hands. I’m pretty sure they take pity on me, as I’m usually not slowed down or searched.

I would sure love to adopt the Twins method, though. I would think it would speed the process.

If you get there earlier usually there are zero lines.

If you get there earlier usually there are zero lines.
Maybe the gophers should try the separate line for season ticket holders, like the twins are doing this year.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

But I can also see people wanting to maximize tailgating and bar time.

Exactly. Especially with 11:00 games. It's tough to get everything set up, cooked, eaten, cleaned up and put away again before the game. Any glitch and you're running late.

I'm sorry, there are enough reasons not to go to the game (cost, amount of time, limited replays, cost of concessions, etc.). The amount of time to get into the stadium doesn't need to be another factor. This is an issue of the U's making. They are inconveniencing the customer for no tangible benefit. If they want to keep losing customers, keep adding more inconveniences. Most businesses figure out to make the customer's experience as simple as possible.

On top of that, they aren't close to selling out the stadium and they can't handle the crowds now. God forbid they actually start selling out the stadium. Early might mean hours.

THANKS DAD

Gee, giving yourself an extra 10 minutes. What a novel concept.

Exactly. Especially with 11:00 games. It's tough to get everything set up, cooked, eaten, cleaned up and put away again before the game.

Sure. Game time has all to do with that.

Never had a problem with that either. In my seat by the NA. Every game.

I'm at a loss for all the angst. I guess folks gotta get that last of those 6-8 drinks in before the game starts. Makes it hard to pack up.

Gee, giving yourself an extra 10 minutes. What a novel concept.

Sure. Game time has all to do with that.

Never had a problem with that either. In my seat by the NA. Every game.

I'm at a loss for all the angst. <b> I guess folks gotta get that last of those 6-8 drinks in before the game starts. </b>Makes it hard to pack up.

Ah, there we go - your real issue. You are one of <I>those</I> people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Especially with 11:00 games. It's tough to get everything set up, cooked, eaten, cleaned up and put away again before the game. Any glitch and you're running late.

I'm sorry, there are enough reasons not to go to the game (cost, amount of time, limited replays, cost of concessions, etc.). The amount of time to get into the stadium doesn't need to be another factor. This is an issue of the U's making. They are inconveniencing the customer for no tangible benefit. If they want to keep losing customers, keep adding more inconveniences. Most businesses figure out to make the customer's experience as simple as possible.

On top of that, they aren't close to selling out the stadium and they can't handle the crowds now. God forbid they actually start selling out the stadium. Early might mean hours.

Tailgate after the game for 11 AM starts. I make a day of it. It's SEVEN days a year. Guessing once a year waiting in line to get in has caused me to miss the kick-off, and it's a 50/50 chance it was mostly my fault for getting to the gate late.

But I can also see people wanting to maximize tailgating and bar time.

That's fine. If maximizing tailgaiting is more important than getting to your seats on time then don't b!tch about the lines. Or tailgate until the game starts and enter 5 mins late when there are no lines. Or get up earlier if tailgaiting is so important? That's really not that hard to do 1 day a week either...

It is simple, if waiting in lines is such a big deal to you get there a little earlier when there are no lines. I've never waited in line for more than 5 minutes trying to get into the stadium (besides 1 time).

I bet you are one of the ladies in the mini vans that speeds around a neighborhood where kids are playing so you can get where yo uare going 2 seconds faster. You know what you could do instead of that? Leave earlier.

That's fine. If maximizing tailgaiting is more important than getting to your seats on time then don't b!tch about the lines. Or tailgate until the game starts and enter 5 mins late when there are no lines. Or get up earlier if tailgaiting is so important? That's really not that hard to do 1 day a week either...

Honestly I can't say I've ever had any major problems at a Gopher game. Yes the lines are long, but in this day and age where they check everybody, none of the lines have seemed too out of the ordinary. I was just chiming in about why people might show up at the last minute.

Having said that, if there's anything the Gophers or any other team can do to speed up the process, I am sure it would be appreciated by fans. As a Twins season ticket holder I definitely appreciate the shorter, season ticket holder-only line. Those are the kinds of things that make people want to keep their season tickets when they are on the fence about dropping them.

Honestly I can't say I've ever had any major problems at a Gopher game. Yes the lines are long, but in this day and age where they check everybody, none of the lines have seemed too out of the ordinary. I was just chiming in about why people might show up at the last minute.

Having said that, if there's anything the Gophers or any other team can do to speed up the process, I am sure it would be appreciated by fans. As a Twins season ticket holder I definitely appreciate the shorter, season ticket holder-only line. Those are the kinds of things that make people want to keep their season tickets when they are on the fence about dropping them.

Totally agree with this. That would be a nice perk to add to any stadium.

I duno guys. Tailgating is part of the experience, if the question is if you have to quit tailgating early enough to get in the door.... I think that's detracting from the experience.

Now some wait is to be expected but I've found the waits to be HIGHLY variable at times. There are times where 15 min before kickoff and you feel like you're virtually the first in the door. Other times 15 min before kickoff and you miss kickoff. It's unpredictable.

But as a season ticket holder... yeah I should get special lines. Really PJ should pick me up gameday in his car and give me a ride such....

Top Bottom