Gophers host Clemson in Big Ten/ACC Challenge December 2

I'm sorry, where were our two Elite Eight appearances the last five years?

They would have been way better two years ago, but injuries crippled them (as with us). They stunk last year, no doubt.

And, simply, there's a little cache to playing Notre Dame, no what matter the sport. Especially when you haven't played them since 1971 in basketball, and not since 1969 at Williams Arena.

Yeah I will eat **** on that one...I thought those Regional Finals were now more like 5-7 years ago now. Honestly too, a 21-15 season wouldn't be the end of the world here either.

But, no they stick the Gophers in what will undoubtedly be an ESPN-U game against freaking Clemson.....

and get this....on the same night the Vikings play Monday Night Football in Seattle.

Since there are only 2 games, there may not even be an ESPNU game, they may both be on ESPN2, and I could see it starting at 6pm to minimize the head-to-head conflict with the Vikings.

Check your local listings.

Lots of different opinions on this. Put me with the crowd that thinks pairing us with Clemson is extremely lazy. Let's throw NET and SOS out of this argument. If the ACC never wants us to face Duke, UNC, and Louisville, even when we're projected to have a really good team, then so be it. However, there isn't a single argument that will sway my opinion that we should be given opportunities against teams like Notre Dame, NC State, and possibly even Syracuse. I'm sick of the powers that be basing their scheduling consistently on reputation. I get that you never want a projected top ACC team facing a projected last place Big Ten bottom-feeder, but there is wiggle-room to give us some different matchups for once.

Lots of different opinions on this. Put me with the crowd that thinks pairing us with Clemson is extremely lazy. Let's throw NET and SOS out of this argument. If the ACC never wants us to face Duke, UNC, and Louisville, even when we're projected to have a really good team, then so be it. However, there isn't a single argument that will sway my opinion that we should be given opportunities against teams like Notre Dame, NC State, and possibly even Syracuse. I'm sick of the powers that be basing their scheduling consistently on reputation. I get that you never want a projected top ACC team facing a projected last place Big Ten bottom-feeder, but there is wiggle-room to give us some different matchups for once.
Not factoring NET and SOS is just as lazy. Big Ten is a dog fight, need as many opportunities at quality wins that we can get. From that standpoint we got a better team than we deserve if Clemson is truly a top 5 ACC team this year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Not factoring NET and SOS is just as lazy. Big Ten is a dog fight, need as many opportunities at quality wins that we can get. From that standpoint we got a better team than we deserve if Clemson is truly a top 5 ACC team this year

How do you know Clemson will be a top-5 ACC team this next year? They are losing their two best players from an NIT team. I've heard nothing about them reloading enough to be a sure-bet NCAA tournament team. I'd guess that NC State will be better then them, and Syracuse and Notre Dame will probably be on the same level. ND had a down year because they were extremely young, and their best player got injured.

As a fan of college basketball, at some point I'd rather see different matchups vs. only wanting specific teams for NET purposes...

How do you know Clemson will be a top-5 ACC team this next year? They are losing their two best players from an NIT team. I've heard nothing about them reloading enough to be a sure-bet NCAA tournament team. I'd guess that NC State will be better then them, and Syracuse and Notre Dame will probably be on the same level. ND had a down year because they were extremely young, and their best player got injured.

As a fan of college basketball, at some point I'd rather see different matchups vs. only wanting specific teams for NET purposes...

I'm going off of SS opinion on that one when I read his breakdowns of the Challenge. He seems to nail the bracket every year so I trust his judgement on that one. I just don't get why you wouldn't want your team to have the strongest Net possible

Sick of not getting big name schools to play here. I think back to the final four practice game and all we could get was OK State? you would think some big name schools could have been courted or a double header with Iowa State or Iowa arranged. Also when we opened TCF Stadium did we get a big named school - Air Force? Wow

Sick of not getting big name schools to play here. I think back to the final four practice game and all we could get was OK State? you would think some big name schools could have been courted or a double header with Iowa State or Iowa arranged. Also when we opened TCF Stadium did we get a big named school - Air Force? Wow

Bigger name schools would have come with more demands financially or a that the Gophers play on their campus (instead of neutral like Tulsa vs Ok St).

The second opponent was #8 CAL

I don't think losing by 35 to a MN kid led duke team would be fun to watch... Maybe that's just me. If we get good enough to get paired with a marquee team then it could be fun. But wishing we'd get to play them now is kind of funny.

Top Bottom