Discretionary spending on MN sports

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
I"m curious as to where most here put their dollars when it comes to MN sports, whether it be game tickets/season tickets for the most part, or even viewing, fan gear, etc.

From a relative outsiders perspective, it sure seems that there is a saturation of product and that is diluting the discretionary money that people have to spend, which in turn probably hurts all of the MN teams to an extent. For example, I know soccer is gaining popularity, but I seriously questioned the viability of it in the MSP market where there are already so many options.

Also, if you have season tickets, are they personally owned or business owned and/or business write-off items? I have season tickets to the Arizona Cardinals, Vegas Golden Knights, and the soon-to-be Las Vegas Raiders; all are in my own personal name, but the company I own reimburses me for almost all of it; I would most certainly not have all 3 teams if that weren't the case.

I"m curious as to where most here put their dollars when it comes to MN sports, whether it be game tickets/season tickets for the most part, or even viewing, fan gear, etc.

From a relative outsiders perspective, it sure seems that there is a saturation of product and that is diluting the discretionary money that people have to spend, which in turn probably hurts all of the MN teams to an extent. For example, I know soccer is gaining popularity, but I seriously questioned the viability of it in the MSP market where there are already so many options.

Also, if you have season tickets, are they personally owned or business owned and/or business write-off items? I have season tickets to the Arizona Cardinals, Vegas Golden Knights, and the soon-to-be Las Vegas Raiders; all are in my own personal name, but the company I own reimburses me for almost all of it; I would most certainly not have all 3 teams if that weren't the case.

I don't think most of the people buying soccer tickets were big fans of other sports. The people chanting all game aren't Wild season ticket holders.

I only have football season tickets, can you guess where? I'd love to write them off.

Had gopher football season tickets since under grad but the price increases finally made us drop them last year. We went to 4 of the games and just bought ticket on stub hub or the street. For football I'm moving towards enjoying it on TV so much more than in person. A college game is at a minimum a 4 hour time commitment which is just too long and the time outs are brutal.

Attend 3-4 basketball games/year on average. Have made appearances at womens volleyball and soccer occasionally and mens baseball 1 every other year probably.

I have MN United season tickets.

Attend maybe 10 twins games a summer (might be more this year with the world series in town and all ;))

Try to make 1-2 Twolves a year but didn't this season.

Go to 2-3 wild games a year.

We have a lot of sports options. It's nice there is so much going on in the cities.

I had personal season tickets to Gopher football for about 15 years, dropped them a couple years ago due to price increase/daughter graduating from UMD and paying her student loans/just getting older and can't handle cold games anymore like I used to. Still go to a couple/three early season home games purchasing on street and 1 away game each year. Attend a couple Twins and Wild games each year.

Had four football tickets for U from 1991 to 2015. Dropped due to required donation levels. Went to four games last year.

Have had 20 game Twins package for 18 years.

Had four football tickets for U from 1991 to 2015. Dropped due to required donation levels. Went to four games last year.

Have had 20 game Twins package for 18 years.

Wow. That's a lot of early replies that indicate relatively long-time Gopher football tickets and dropping them recently due to cost increases. I had no idea. Interesting...

Your company isn't still writing them off are they? That should have gone away with the new tax bill.

I try to get to 1-2 Gopher basketball games and usually 1 Gopher football and one Vikings game per year. 3-4 Twins games. Haven't been to the Wolves or Wild in a long time.

Season tickets to Gopher men's basketball. We've been attending two Gopher football games a year (parent weekend and homecoming, but our daughter is graduating soon, and my wife is rotating off her college's alumni board, so...?). My wife shares a season ticket to the Lynx with friends. We attend Gopher volleyball and women's basketball when we feel like it. We like softball, but the weather is usually crappy enough to keep us away from the Gopher games. We try to get to a handful of Twins games each year, but it varies from year to year. We almost never go to Vikings or Wolves games, and we've never been to a Wild game. We did go see the Saints last year and had a good time. And, of course, we religiously attend our other daughter's college gymnastics meets.

I really, really miss attending the older daughter's softball games, especially the summer association games. Those are some of the best memories, especially the tournaments. That's prime time parent fun. I've been tempted to go watch a random game now and then down at the fields, but I don't want to feel like a creeper or whatever.

Season tickets to Gopher men's basketball and football, though we miss probably a third of each due to kids sporting events. I always attend one away Gopher football game per year as well.

We try to get to one Vikings game a year, 2-3 Timberwolves games (usually as a group with son's basketball team) and 2-3 Twins games a year.

We also almost always attend a sporting event or two when we are on vacation in different states (could be college basketball, NBA, MLB, etc.).

Go Gophers!!

Gopher Football Season Tickets
3-5 Gopher Basketball games per year
Maybe squeeze in a Gopher hockey game or two

Going to a Saints and Loons game with co-workers later this year.

Most of my fan gear is Gophers. And I have WAY too much. I have a few Twins shirts. A couple for the other major teams. Just bought a t-shirt and sweatshirt from the Saints online store. Bought a Loons shirt that was too small....so I'm going to buy another.

I've had season tickets for football that I write off as a business expense since 2009. For 2 years I bought the promotional pack and the rest of the tickets through Stub Hub.

I attend a few men's basketball games per year and a hockey game once every 3-4 years. I only attend pro sporting events when given free tickets.

I live in SW MN - I am a cheap SOB - and due to some of my health issues, I do not like to travel much anymore.

As a result, I have not attended any pro games or Gopher games in person in a number of years. I go to well over 100 high school sporting events a year due to my job.

when I was younger and healthier, I used to go to at least one Gopher football game every season - often in conjunction with the State Fair. I have been to one Twins game since Target Field opened - but that was a group deal through work. Have never attended a T-Wolves or Wild game.

I used to take a 'baseball' vacation every year where I would go watch 2 or 3 games for one of the Twins' minor league affiliates, along with some random Major League games. But, as I said, I don't like to travel much anymore, and with staff cut-backs at work, I haven't taken a day of vacation in 3 years. If I'm not at work, the work doesn't get done. The last real vacation I had was 2-1/2 weeks off work when I had a heart attack.

Top Bottom