It's Official: 3-Point Line Being Moved Back For 2019-20

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ihnen is already used to that distance!

Boo. I'm against anything that makes college basketball more like the NBA. Based on the NIT, it won't be that much of a change though.

I don't think this changes a thing. Most good 3point shooters were already willing and able to shoot from way outside the line anyway. Steph Curry has changed the game.

I think this will accomplish their goals of opening up a little more space on the floor while not dinging 3 pt percentages by much. I estimate they may drop 2-4% NCAA-wide over a whole season.

Coach Pitino chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Call me crazy but I'm not sure this hurts the Gophs in particular. Their shooting honestly can only get better this year with Carr and Willis and with Gabe a year in... and it should open up more space for Oturu/Demir.

Call me crazy but I'm not sure this hurts the Gophs in particular. Their shooting honestly can only get better this year with Carr and Willis and with Gabe a year in... and it should open up more space for Oturu/Demir.

Last year I wish it would have been a 30 foot 3 point line- we might have been a top 15 team.

You are crazy.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, just honoring your request.

Go Gophers!!

Terrible idea. This doesn’t help the college game at all. Just more misses from 3 now. Kids don’t shoot less.

Like it or not, this is where the game is heading. More and more coaches are adopting the philosophy that the best shots are - in order - 1. a layup (or dunk) 2. a 3-pointer 3. any shot inside the 3-point line that is not a layup (or dunk).

A local HS team I follow went full-bore this year. Helped by the fact that they had no size or post game, but still, their offense was literally, bring the ball into the front court, and the first guy with an open 3-point shot threw it up. If they didn't take a 3-pointer, they would try to drive to the hoop and draw a foul. A sophomore with no varsity experience broke the school record for 3-point shots made in a season. Most nights, the ratio of 3-point attempts to 2-point attempts was 2 to 1 or even 3 to 1.

That is the way the game is going - and the Gophers are behind the curve. Pitino may be joking with the "Oh, No" comment, but there's a germ of truth in it. 3-point shooting is the new arms race in basketball, and if you don't have the shooters, you are going to fall behind in a hurry.

Top Bottom