Austin Henderson 3* TE commits to Gophers (Nashville, TN)

For now...

I get where you're coming from. I'm going to choose to be positive for the long haul. If you're not going to be positive, this is what the trolls and perhaps recruits look at. We have a problem with trolls, we don't need a problem from true Gopher fans. Perhaps you're not.

I need a sarcasm font. You’re right about the negativity.

I get where you're coming from. I'm going to choose to be positive for the long haul. If you're not going to be positive, this is what the trolls and perhaps recruits look at. We have a problem with trolls, we don't need a problem from true Gopher fans. Perhaps you're not.

Does anything not offend you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One interesting thing to note is that the staff offered the #1 TE in the state for the class of 2021, Jake Briningstool, yesterday. Would be nice to build a little TN pipeline. Jake is from the Nashville area as well (Ravenwood HS).

Hopefully another diamond in the rough. Nice frame...perhaps they want to develop him into a lineman?

Mixed bag from recruiting numbers standpoint...gets Gophs back into the upper 30s rankings but pulls AVG player rating below 85 on 247. Drop to 13th in B1G in AVG player ranking.back to

Does anything not offend you?

Just feel bad about the negativity. If you support it well, you're not a true Gopher fan. Others have questioned your loyalty so not surprised by what you just said.

Last edited:

Just feel bad about the negativity. If you support it well, you're not a true Gopher fan. Others have questioned your loyalty so not surprised by what you just said.

Yes, that shoe joke Slab made yesterday was terribly negative. Someone pokes at the # of decommits we’ve had lately..... negative? Real fans are never negative? Rainbows and unicorns only zone. You might need to lighten up just a tad.

Good thing you have "others" to help you determine the authenticity of an individual. If you honestly believe recruits read this, or any thread to help them decide on a school, well...At what age and who told you Narnia was a fantasy world of magic and not a real place? It's a tough world out there 2Gopher.

With loyalty comes honesty. Blind faith is foolhardy.

Welcome Big Fella!

Kid loves himself some Jebus.

Good choice and RTB!!

Has potential (and obviously needs) to grow - dad looks thick as an oak.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully another diamond in the rough. Nice frame...perhaps they want to develop him into a lineman?

Mixed bag from recruiting numbers standpoint...gets Gophs back into the upper 30s rankings but pulls AVG player rating below 85 on 247. Drop to 13th in B1G in AVG player ranking.back to

He’s 220 lbs and his strength is route running.

In the last 30 years of college football, has there ever been a kid that weighed 220 as a senior and ended up playing o-line in a power 5 conference? Unlikely to say the least...

In the last 30 years of college football, has there ever been a kid that weighed 220 as a senior and ended up playing o-line in a power 5 conference? Unlikely to say the least...

I said lineman so O or D. Hageman was maybe 250 as an incoming TE.

JJ Watt. 220 senior year I believe. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ade-it-big-the-college-recruitment-of-jj-watt

I know Matt Birk put on a lot of weight as well. Not P5 but notable. I'm sure there are moe.

There are a bunch of guys who were 230/240 in HS who became dominant Big 10 OL.

But I can't think of anyone who was 220. Maybe Ike Boettiger at Iowa, I know he was a QB in HS. Maybe he was 220 in June before his senior year of HS. I'm not sure.

That said, this kid looks like a TE to me. Welcome aboard!

Up to now, the TE in the Gophers' offense (under the current regime) has been mostly an extra blocker. We've seen a few dump-off passes, but very few down-field routes for the TE's.

Let's see if that changes this season with Spann-Ford.

Because - if they're recruiting and signing (or at least getting a verbal from) a 220-lb TE, that suggests they have something different in mind - or they're going to lock the kid in the weight room and force-feed him until he gets up to 260 or so.

Up to now, the TE in the Gophers' offense (under the current regime) has been mostly an extra blocker. We've seen a few dump-off passes, but very few down-field routes for the TE's.

Let's see if that changes this season with Spann-Ford.

Because - if they're recruiting and signing (or at least getting a verbal from) a 220-lb TE, that suggests they have something different in mind - or they're going to lock the kid in the weight room and force-feed him until he gets up to 260 or so.

It will be interesting to see as the OL develops if Fleck / Kirk’s offense allows for the TE to get out and downfield more.

It will be interesting to see as the OL develops if Fleck / Kirk’s offense allows for the TE to get out and downfield more.

Would love to see them incorporate a delayed seam route up the middle where the TE chip blocks and then releases. I'm betting they have a lot more to show offensively this year...open up the whole playbook.

Lane Johnson was a QB in HS (weighed ~210 when he graduated) and was starting at OT for Oklahoma by his junior year.

Would love to see them incorporate a delayed seam route up the middle where the TE chip blocks and then releases. I'm betting they have a lot more to show offensively this year...open up the whole playbook.

There will be more slot routes being run on play action. Line backers have to crash the line to stop what they think is the run, leaving the middle of the field more open for slot route passes, which from the looks of it is ideal for Henderson.

... and BTW, Henderson made some awesome motorcycles back in the day. Austin, if you want a gameday name, go with "Streamliner".

Attachments

• streamliner_532.jpg
    streamliner_532.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 22

The Gopher coaches really like how Henderson could develop into a complete tight end.

"Minnesota's said that they want to use the tight end more and want that position to be the number two receiver," Henderson explained. "They also told me that I will have to block and they want the tight end to be a complete tight-end that does it all. When I heard that, it just added on to my love for Minnesota. I'm all done with the recruiting process now, as that's what coach Fleck does. I'm committed to Minnesota and everything they're doing. No more visits or camps anywhere else starting today. I've seen where I should be, and that's at Minnesota."

Sounds like he'll be a tight end...

https://247sports.com/college/minne...tin-Henderson-commits-to-Minnesota-132596917/

This is my favorite quote from the article:

"The Gophers were a perfect fit. After I saw Iowa State today, I just knew where I wanted to be. I called the coaches after that visit and they seemed excited, pumped and also surprised I committed so fast, but excited."

After he saw Iowa St and had to drive through Iowa, he couldn't commit fast enough. I wonder if he was still in Ames when he called the Gophers...

He's a junior

Lane Johnson was a QB in HS (weighed ~210 when he graduated) and was starting at OT for Oklahoma by his junior year.

I believe you can add Todd Steussie to this list as well.

Edit: Looks like he enrolled at Cal at 245. Thought I remembered hearing that he was listed at around 220 when he was a freshman.

Last edited:

Top Bottom