PP: Gophers men’s basketball outlook changes ‘a lot’ without Amir Coffey

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

"Amir is taking a chance and betting on himself, I think you all can appreciate that,” Pitino said. “… We got to hope he gets drafted. … I think he has a chance.”

Pitino added, “You get greedy, you want him to come back because you want to win more.”

The outlook for the Gophers without Coffey in 2019-20 “changes a lot,” Pitino said. With Coffey gone, Pitino has an added scholarship for next season.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/...ll-outlook-changes-a-lot-without-amir-coffey/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

"Amir is taking a chance and betting on himself, I think you all can appreciate that,” Pitino said. “… We got to hope he gets drafted. … I think he has a chance.”

Pitino added, “You get greedy, you want him to come back because you want to win more.”

The outlook for the Gophers without Coffey in 2019-20 “changes a lot,” Pitino said. With Coffey gone, Pitino has an added scholarship for next season.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/...ll-outlook-changes-a-lot-without-amir-coffey/

Go Gophers!!

Hooking up the translator:

1. "Amir is taking a chance and betting on himself." Translation: "He's hitting on a 19. I mean, I suppose it's possible an ace or deuce will turn over."

2. "We got to hope he gets drafted...I think he has a chance." Translation: "It's probably o.k. to make other plans for the evening of June 20."

3. "You get greedy, you want him to come back because you want to win more." Translation: "I'm not exactly on firm ground here, you know."

4. "The outlook for the team changes a lot." Translation: "I really hope Payton Willis doesn't suck."

Hooking up the translator:

1. "Amir is taking a chance and betting on himself." Translation: "He's hitting on a 19. I mean, I suppose it's possible an ace or deuce will turn over."

2. "We got to hope he gets drafted...I think he has a chance." Translation: "It's probably o.k. to make other plans for the evening of June 20."

3. "You get greedy, you want him to come back because you want to win more." Translation: "I'm not exactly on firm ground here, you know."

4. "The outlook for the team changes a lot." Translation: "I really hope Payton Willis doesn't suck."
Top humor and along the lines what I was thinking. I want to give Pitino some credit for political correctness, i.e. to support any player trying to NBA themselves, but it isn’t hard to read the Pitino double speak.

The NBA is weird. He could go but the odds are certainly stacked against him. Who knows what some GM may see in him that others don't. Pitino played it right though. Sometimes you wish these young guys would not listen to their handlers so much. Generally the college game is bigger than the kid but many think they are too cool for school.

In the NBA now, it's all about potential. They would rather draft a 19-year old after his FR year in college, as opposed to drafting a 21 or 22-year old who played 3 or 4 years in college. So, the trick is projecting which of the young kids have the highest upside.

And, with the style of the NBA changing, it's all about position flexibility, mobility, and shooting the 3. If you can't shoot the 3, you're not getting drafted - unless you are one of the 2 or 3 remaining post players on the planet. But even a KAT goes out and shoots the 3.

Coffey was a decent college player. But unless he really improves his outside shooting, I just don't see him making it in the NBA.

having said that, it's his life and his decision. I heard a media figure speculating that one reason he's leaving MN is that he is not interested in going to class anymore - NOT that he's dumb, but just that he has no interest in going to class.

If you want the gophers to compete nationally (especially consistently) we'll just have to get use to some guys going to the NBA instead of playing 4 years.

With that said, I'll stick by my original posts on this matter where I said Coffey wasn't coming back to the U but I don't think he has a career in the NBA either. I don't even know if he'll be drafted, I wouldn't bet against it but I sure wouldn't bet he is.

I don't even know if he'll be drafted, I wouldn't bet against it but I sure wouldn't bet he is.

Based on the evidence of multiple mock drafts, I would be pretty comfortable betting against it.

Top Bottom