Fox9: Local soccer tournament sidelines parents from the sidelines

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox9:

When parents go to watch this weekend's soccer tournament in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, they'll have to sit farther away than normal, as a new ban at Life Time Fitness focuses on keeping parents from getting too involved.

Youth sports is filled with stories of parents’ bad behavior toward coaches, refs and even players. So, a new soccer tournament is sidelining parents from the sidelines in an effort to just let the young players play.

“We like to come out and support the team and watch as they improve and play against the other team," said mother Lindsay Thomas.

For the Waconia Wildcats, hitting the soccer field is a good way to get their kicks. But soon, it will be the parents and coaches who will be getting the boot.

"I think our kids are at an age when we want them to be more independent and make their own decisions, and I think this is a unique way of showing them how they can do it," Thomas said.

The Minnesota Youth Soccer Association is co-sponsoring a tournament called the Freedom Cup at Life Time's new sport complex this weekend. Tournament rules will require parents and coaches to watch the games from a distance so the players can enjoy themselves without any added pressure.

"I think it’s an opportunity for the parents to help reset the culture of youth sports, that it’s not all about pressure to win and be right and wrong," said Cam Stoltz with MYSA.

Tournament organizers say parents must watch the action from at least 30 feet away and are not allowed to have any interaction with the refs. Coaches must also prepare their team before the kick off and during halftime, rather than give them direction during the game.

"What we've seen more recently is parents trying to coach their kids from the sidelines telling them what to do, where to be, when they need to deciding that for themselves," said assistant coach Justin Pozega.

After all, for these 11 and 12 year olds, having a good time should be the ultimate goal.

"Really, what we are here for is to have fun and play soccer and have it develop into something that is a lifelong passion they have," Thomas said.

Everyone who participates in the tournament will get a medal. Organizers say if all goes well, they hope to turn the tournament into an annual event.

http://www.fox9.com/news/local-soccer-tournament-sidelines-parents-from-the-sidelines

Go Gophers!!

I think the no parent interaction is a good thing but not allowing the coaches to coach the team except before kick off and at halftime seems ridiculous.

I think the no parent interaction is a good thing but not allowing the coaches to coach the team except before kick off and at halftime seems ridiculous.

It seems like a pick-up game with halftime notes.

Right on. Some youth soccer coaches yell too much during games, which is stupid because most of the time the kids either don't hear/don't understand/ignore them. But it's a little extreme not to allow coaches to address kids at all during the game except for halftime.

Thought it was funny they mentioned every kid gets a medal or whatever. That's rare these days. Tournaments will give the kids swag like bag tags or pins, but I can think of only one tournament in the past three years that has given participation medals. Used to be more common. I found a whole box of them when I cleaned out my old room at my parents house a couple years ago. This generation of kids and parents largely doesn't want them.

should also ban keeping score... and championship trophies and medals for all...just to be nice

Top Bottom