There's a chance Minnesota uses its 6-foot-9, 400-pound lineman as a running back

I really think Fleck will line him up back there as a fullback. Defenses will respond to seeing a mountain of a man in the backfield. You let him go block and either hand the ball to an RB or pass from that set. Or, you line him up back there, motion him to a TE spot and make them worry about his pass catching.

He is versatile and its a fun look. I don't ever want to see him carry the ball

I also think there's a decent chance that he will end up there during the season. He's pretty mobile and coordinated for an offensive lineman, let alone one at his size. He already played in the backfield during the spring game, and, as far as I know, that carries a risk of injury as well (with less reward than an actual game). ��

Risking injury and risking fumble. A fun play if the game is out of reach, but not a serious consideration.

Yep... mentioned in the other thread. Put him in late against Sconnie to go for two right after Gophs score TD to go up by 20. The Bank would go bananas.

Yep... mentioned in the other thread. Put him in late against Sconnie to go for two right after Gophs score TD to go up by 20. The Bank would go bananas.

Funny...I read this and said " when have we been up 20 on WI???"

Then i realize.....oh, last fall! Made my day!

It was a cute and fun play in the spring game where the defense isn’t going to attempt anything and everything to bring him down.
I’m a believer in leaving your biggest and best OL at his spot and run behind him until the D proves it can stop it.
Put him in the backfield and you have now replaced your best with a back up and the D that just got scored on and are pi$$ed certainly would do anything and everything to cut him down including taking a run at his knees from all different angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 6’9” we should line him up wide at the goal line and just throw the ball high where only he can catch it. Worked for Woz.

Would be a fun two-point conversion play when already ahead by three scores. If DF got the ball in any meaningful situation, I would worry terribly that he might fumble. In the end though I would be okay because I would remember that the ball is the program.

Even with knee braces, you risk the chance of injury. Keep him on the line, we have enough backs.

I really hope this is nothing more than a decoy to give opposing defenses another thing to prepare for. If they were planning to surprise a team with the play, why would they run it in the Spring game?

I really hope this is nothing more than a decoy to give opposing defenses another thing to prepare for. If they were planning to surprise a team with the play, why would they run it in the Spring game?

Sure. But, my question is why run it, period, if they haven't given some thought to using it during the regular season? It was a spring game, but there was still contact.

At 6’9” we should line him up wide at the goal line and just throw the ball high where only he can catch it. Worked for Woz.

LOL! YES!

But... is our QB "tall enough to see over the line"?

And, at 6'9", couldn't we hand the ball to Faalele and let him simply "fall forward" to score?

Of course, our opponents would eventually "study film, and figure out how to stop" these strategies.

Hey... what if we had a really, really short running back? He could duck between the defenders' legs! And, we could hand the little guy the ball, then have Faalele pick him up and toss him (with the ball) over the goal line!

Automatic TD! Unstoppable!

“I’m from Minnesota. I can’t help being a expert negative realist.”

God help us. Another potentially fun thread turned into a shiite pile.

A sincere thanks to those who think this would be a blast. I see no downside. None.

Last edited:

Sure. But, my question is why run it, period, if they haven't given some thought to using it during the regular season? It was a spring game, but there was still contact.

It was just for fun, his mom was at the game, it was televised.....

I think most get it but anyone holding onto the idea that this is something they are actually considering is kidding themselves. We already have a great short yardage option on the roster in Seth Green, why would be abandon that for a "gimmick play" where all kinds of things could go wrong? It just doesn't make sense.

This was 100% a made for TV moment to give the kid a cool moment and to get people talking about the program and taking notice because let's face it, a 400 lbs running back scoring a TD draws attention even if it is during a spring game.

I think most get it but anyone holding onto the idea that this is something they are actually considering is kidding themselves. We already have a great short yardage option on the roster in Seth Green, why would be abandon that for a "gimmick play" where all kinds of things could go wrong? It just doesn't make sense.

This was 100% a made for TV moment to give the kid a cool moment and to get people talking about the program and taking notice because let's face it, a 400 lbs running back scoring a TD draws attention even if it is during a spring game.

Yeah I doubt this is an actual "strategy" as much as PR / fun ... and being PR / fun maybe they do it again, but not because it is a great idea.

God help us. Another potentially fun thread turned into a shiite pile.

It seems to me a lot of people are having fun on this thread.

I'm going to commit to saying maybe, maybe not. :)

It seems to me a lot of people are having fun on this thread.

It was all fun until you brought up the goal line play from that game that will go unmentioned! :p

I'm okay with this as long as he is wearing the best knee braces money can buy. Like NASA-designed knee braces if they have them.

So DF is the reincarnation of the Fridg?

Last edited:

I think DF could take it from the Gophers 25 yard line, take it down the field, 50 yards at 4ypc and then be pulled for a 10min oxygen break. Then Fleck will put him back on the line where he will be spent. GSU will not run through him but he will be spent and with our speed run around him or use a stunt that he wont be able to pick up

After that they would pull him, put him on massive amounts of oxygen again & he will be done for the game

Last edited:

I think DF could take it from the Gophers 25 yard line, take it down the field, 50 yards at 4ypc and then be pulled for a 10min oxygen break. Then Fleck will put him back on the line where he will be spent. GSU will not run through him but he will be spent and with our speed run around him or use a stunt that he wont be able to pick up

After that they would pull him, put him on massive amounts of oxygen again & he would be done for the game

?????????????????

Big Dan will run through GSU like Godzilla. D-Zilla for the touchdown!

Only if Big Dan has 4 downs starting on the GSU 5 yard line.:cool:

Only if Big Dan has 4 downs starting on the GSU 5 yard line.:cool:

Apparently, someone didn’t see the Gopher defenders bouncing off of him when they ran the play in the Spring game. They had no chance of tackling the big guy.

But, I hope they don’t run the play anyway, to keep him healthy. Your squad needs to worry more about Seth Green in these situations.

Apparently, someone didn’t see the Gopher defenders bouncing off of him when they ran the play in the Spring game. They had no chance of tackling the big guy.

But, I hope they don’t run the play anyway, to keep him healthy. Your squad needs to worry more about Seth Green in these situations.

Apparently, the defensive players tried to tackle at the waist or above & got run over. Shoot for just above the knee, knees or shin rap him up and if that doesn't bring him down then hope for an assist which a good defensive coach will be prepared for.

Last edited:

Apparently, the defensive players tried to tackle at the waist or above. Shoot for the knee, knees or shin rap him up and if that doesn't bring him down then hope for an assist which a good defensive coach will be prepared for.

Good Lord. Is there any possibility of moving up the directional geo game to say, tomorrow?

I wouldn't rule out seeing it in a game or two. This time last year, people probably were turning their noses up at using Seth Green as a wildcat runner when we have other better options. Turns out, it was pretty effective in games and we saw it a lot.

People also seem to forget about Faalele's background. This isn't some kid who's never grown up with a ball in his hands. This is a former rugby player. Running with people trying to tackle him is natural to him.

Top Bottom