There's a chance Minnesota uses its 6-foot-9, 400-pound lineman as a running back

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

It would be the most unstoppable goal line package in all of college football. If Minnesota handed the ball to 6-foot-9, 400-pound offensive lineman Daniel Faalele, defenses would have a lot of trouble stopping it.

And, apparently, P.J. Fleck isn’t opposed to giving the ball to the big fella when the regular season rolls around.

On Sunday, while interacting with a fan, Fleck apparently “left the door open” for Faalele to line up in the backfield a few times in the 2019 season. That report came from Andy Greder of the Pioneer Press, who tweeted out the Gophers could use the massive offensive lineman for multiple purposes.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...00-pound-lineman-as-a-running-back-this-fall/

Go Gophers!!

Oh please don't get him hurt in a pile driver.

Oh please don't get him hurt in a pile driver.

I agree. With the stable of running backs we have I just don’t see the need for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. With the stable of running backs we have I just don’t see the need for this.

The only need I personally see in this would be - as an opposing team - one would think there would be a need to prepare for the “unlikely” event it would happen. Possibly may see it once early on in season as a possibility it’s there. Then he can be used as a decoy and pass protector for a short yardage play action. I’m sure they’ve done a risk assessment and have ways of being creative with him in the backfield without him actually getting the ball so to speak.

I think the tacklers might be the ones getting hurt.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

exactly, no one in their right mind would go high, they'd maybe go for a knee,

better to make a business decision and duck out of harms way if you're the defender.

If our 400lb'er has his knee braces on,
and a knee pad or two,

i'm in.
we need 1, he gives us 3
we need 2, he gives us 3
we need 4, he gives us 3.

Cute and all, but I’d rather see Seth, Rodney, or Shannon running behind the 6-9 400# lineman then that lineman running the ball for some reason.

Its kind of funny to think about but if he were to blow out a knee for an unnecessary stunt, that would look really bad. The only place someone would dare tackle him would be low.

Cute and all, but I’d rather see Seth, Rodney, or Shannon running behind the 6-9 400# lineman then that lineman running the ball for some reason.

Exactly. Well said. Common sense shine through!

Let Faalele do what he does best, which is open a huge, gaping hole for one of our tough, QUICK runners to exploit.

Let's not overthink things.

This x100000000000000000. Especially seth. If you are in a situation where you would want a play like that seth has more than proven himself effective.

If he's a lead blocking FB primarily, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the backfield. Who would mess with him if he has a head of steam coming at you?

I think there is a real possibility that Fleck puts him in a time or two. My guess is in one of the trophy games with the Gophs up big.

If you want to close out the Big Ten championship with an exclamation point then ok, otherwise an unnecessary risk considering the runners on the roster.

If you want to close out the Big Ten championship with an exclamation point then ok, otherwise an unnecessary risk considering the runners on the roster.

This exactly! Late season game with B1G west on the line in a goal line situation, yeah, put him in there. I'd be disappointed if they used him against a non-conference team and we have a large lead or the game had just started.

This exactly! Late season game with B1G west on the line in a goal line situation, yeah, put him in there. I'd be disappointed if they used him against a non-conference team and we have a large lead or the game had just started.
With the season on the line, you run a play nobody has done before rather than roll with what got you there? Ok......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

With the season on the line, you run a play nobody has done before rather than roll with what got you there? Ok......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Or, run a jet sweep from that formation because all the defense is guarding the middle;)

With the game on the line, everyone knows you run a play with many shifts that takes most of the time off the clock and that results in a low percentage pass.

With the game on the line, everyone knows you run a play with many shifts that takes most of the time off the clock and that results in a low percentage pass.

Offense 101 per Limey. :)

Other issue if game is on the line is you are trusting someone that never handles the ball to hold on to it. Rather than trying to tackle him, the defense likely would try for the strip instead.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

exactly, no one in their right mind would go high, they'd maybe go for a knee,

better to make a business decision and duck out of harms way if you're the defender.

If our 400lb'er has his knee braces on,
and a knee pad or two,

i'm in.
we need 1, he gives us 3
we need 2, he gives us 3
we need 4, he gives us 3

Actually, you're mis-quoting Leroy Hoard.
His exact quote was:
"If you need 2 yards, I'll get you 3. If you need 5 yards, I'll get you 3."

Maybe one of the greatest sports quotes of all time.

I love it that Fleck used Faalele at RB in the spring game.

Hopefully every team we face spends 30 minutes game planning for it.

I love it that Fleck used Faalele at RB in the spring game.

Hopefully every team we face spends 30 minutes game planning for it.

Not sure how you would even plan for it, other than say to go for the knees.

Not sure how you would even plan for it, other than say to go for the knees.

He's not very fast so blitz around the end and trip him up before he gets moving?

giphy.gif

I'd run it a couple times during the season just enough to make sure opponents have to keep it in mind.

I love stuff like this. The source is a fan question at a coaches caravan and Greder runs with it like it is something that could really happen. I would put the odds on Faalele seeing an actual carry in a game at zero. It was a fun gimmick play for a spring game, nothing more.

In a do or die short yardage situation we probably have at least 5 options we would go to before Faalele's name would even enter the conversation. The only scenario I see where Faalele could line up in the backfield would be to serve as a lead blocker but even that seems highly unlikely.

I really think Fleck will line him up back there as a fullback. Defenses will respond to seeing a mountain of a man in the backfield. You let him go block and either hand the ball to an RB or pass from that set. Or, you line him up back there, motion him to a TE spot and make them worry about his pass catching.

He is versatile and its a fun look. I don't ever want to see him carry the ball

Risking injury and risking fumble. A fun play if the game is out of reach, but not a serious consideration.

Top Bottom