Kevin Warren will be named Big Ten’s new commissioner

gophersfan

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This seems like a strange choice...

There have been plenty of NFL hires where NFL guy just doesn't get the weird nuances of college football and universities.

Last edited:

per NFL.com:

Minnesota Vikings chief operating officer Kevin Warren is expected to be named commissioner of the Big Ten Conference on Tuesday, sources told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on Monday.

Warren, 55, is expected to replace longtime Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney, who had served in that capacity since 1989. Delaney will vacate his post after the 2019-20 academic year, his 31st on the job.

The Big Ten Conference will announce the decision in a press conference Tuesday.

Minnesota's COO since February 2015, Warren was responsible for all business, financial, legal and operational aspects related to U.S. Bank Stadium and the design, development and planning of Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center, per the team's website.

Warren has spent over 20 years in the NFL and 14 with the Vikings. Before his promotion to COO, Warren was Minnesota's vice president of legal affairs and chief administrative officer to chief operating officer. He was the highest-ranking African-American executive working on the business side for a team in the NFL and was the first African-American COO in NFL history.

Warren would be the first African-American commissioner of a Power Five conference.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...kevin-warren-to-be-named-big-ten-commissioner

Go Gophers!!

Good choice. Also a good time for a change in his life at 55.

Doesn’t hurt the odds of US Bank Stadium hosting the conference championship game or other major events.

Minnesota Professional Sports Authority's plant to keep the Gophers sucking another 50 years?:rolleyes:

I listened to Kevin Warren speak a few summers ago and couldn't have been more impressed by him. He was so sincere, level headed, and genuine. I have been a fan of him since that day and wish him the best of luck. Honestly, I can't picture him not doing a great job.

I haven't read up on anything related to Delaney stepping down or this new choice, so grain of salt. But this seems like a great time to step down if you are Delaney. The B1G Network is raking in the money, the league has been expanded, and everyone is cashing big checks. But with slow death of cable TV, I feel like it will be a challenge to keep revenue streams flowing at the current advanced rates. Attendance issues, the rise of soccer (football's uncertain future), pay-to-play, people questioning the NCAA, etc. etc. Lots of challenges ahead as opposed to the golden age of college sports finances that we have just lived through. I hope this guy is up to the challenge and we can continue to always cheer on B1G sports without major negative changes for the Gophers.

Last edited:

I'm by no-means a diehard Vikings fan, but you can't deny that they're a very well-run organization from a business standpoint. Any chance he tells Rutgers and Maryland to go ahead and find a new home before they're forcibly removed? Probably not, but a guy can dream.

I'm by no-means a diehard Vikings fan, but you can't deny that they're a very well-run organization from a business standpoint. Any chance he tells Rutgers and Maryland to go ahead and find a new home before they're forcibly removed? Probably not, but a guy can dream.

He would be crucified for leaving the NYC and DC media markets pretty much.

Why don't you like money?

Looks like he played basketball for one year at Penn and then three years at a small Arizona school. Law degree from Notre Dame.
Maybe he already has relationships with Fleck, Coyle, and Pitino (would be nice if this benefitted the U of M programs).

Looks like he played basketball for one year at Penn and then three years at a small Arizona school. Law degree from Notre Dame.
Maybe he already has relationships with Fleck, Coyle, and Pitino (would be nice if this benefitted the U of M programs).

I read somewhere that he was involved in the search committee that hired Coil.

I find it hard to imagine Minnesota gets any kinda leverage in the B1G... under any circumstances.

I find it hard to imagine Minnesota gets any kinda leverage in the B1G... under any circumstances.

Probably right on this, Slab. OSU, u Mich, and PSU ADs probably vetted this, but it would be nice to gain a little leverage.

cue Sid:

"My close personal friend, Kevin Warren, the B1G commissioner, will be our guest this week on the Sports Huddle......"

Honestly, having a B1G commissioner who has ties to the Twin Cities and the Gophers can't hurt. Also a guy with ties to the Vikings. I could see the Twin Cities make a serious bid to have the B1G Championship game at US Bank, or host a bowl game.

And, the B1G scores points for looking progressive by hiring a minority as Commissioner.

cue Sid:

"My close personal friend, Kevin Warren, the B1G commissioner, will be our guest this week on the Sports Huddle......"

Honestly, having a B1G commissioner who has ties to the Twin Cities and the Gophers can't hurt. Also a guy with ties to the Vikings. I could see the Twin Cities make a serious bid to have the B1G Championship game at US Bank, or host a bowl game.

And, the B1G scores points for looking progressive by hiring a minority as Commissioner.

And a men's Basketball Tournament, too?

He is going to get right to work blowing up the Big10 hockey conference.

This seems like a strange choice...

There have been plenty of NFL hires where NFL guy just doesn't get the weird nuances of college football and universities.

Strange choice? It's the top executive of a billion dollar sport entity, not a FB coach. He seems extremely qualified based on experience and education.

Also want to take a moment to thank Jim Delany for all of his work. I haven't agreed with all of his decisions, but after seeing what has happened to all of the other conferences over the last few years, I don't think he could have done a better job.
He left the B1G as the #1 or #2 conference in college from a fiscal, competitive, and fan interest standpoint, that definitely wasn't always a given.
Very impressive job.

Last edited:

Also want to take a moment to thank Jim Delany for all of his work. I haven't agreed with all of his decisions, but after seeing what has happened to all of the other conferences over the last few years, I don't think he could have done a better job.
He left the B1G as the #1 or #2 conference in college from a fiscal, competitive, and fan interest standpoint, that definitely wasn't always a given.
Very impressive job.
Exactly right, best commissioner in college sports history, excluding the LEGENDS and LEADERS decision. (Had to throw that in there). Actually he has been a genius, and made the B1G conference the financial envy of college sports.

Strange choice? It's the top executive of a billion dollar sport entity, not a FB coach. He seems extremely qualified based on experience and education.

A top executive, not the top executive.

And yes, he is extremely qualified. Any suggestion otherwise is silly.

Top Bottom