Gopher Softball 2020

Brutal mistake from Makenna, was safe on 6-4 error and thought she was out so stepped off and got tagged, corners 1 out instead of loaded no outs for Natalie

and then second out Vander Heide went on contact on grounder right to 3B to get tagged out

third out K looking bases loaded

Last edited:

Going into today's game, they really need to start executing.

LOB - Team (43), Opp (19)

Bases loaded in the 4th...top of the order...and got nothing. Bad base running one (and maybe two) of the outs. These ladies miss Hope (aka Clutch) Brandner.

Yeah and another bad base running snafu in the bottom of the 4th.

Un-effing real. Bases loaded again in the 5th and zero runs.

Yikes, another L.

I was watching too. Have to hit to win. Lots of chances this game.

Yikes, another L.

I was watching too. Have to hit to win. Lots of chances this game.
Yeah, team is not playing like a top D1 one should be right now. Both baserunning mistakes by seniors too

I hate to say it, but the offensive lineup the Gophs are fielding right now looks the most average I remember in a long time. Adding Brandner and Jensen would significantly change that prospect of course. I would love to eat my words after a few more games, but for now...

I thought Fiser looked better and more in control than last weekend, just the one dinger mistake that cost the game because the team couldn't provide any run support. Hopefully the hitting will pick up as the season goes on. That's the good and bad thing about having a strong non-conference schedule, if you're not at the top of your game you will most likely lose!

Fiser looked good to me as well. Not worried about her at all. She will still be a dominating force. Still, she can't be expected to throw shutouts every game. Give up 2 you gotta find a way to win that especially with all those baserunners.

This is the weakest hitting I've ever seen from a Gophers team. Inning after inning and not a single hard-hit ball. Add to that some stupendous base-running mistakes and we have a team playing like they belong at DII. Mind-boggling.

I hate to say it, but the offensive lineup the Gophs are fielding right now looks the most average I remember in a long time. Adding Brandner and Jensen would significantly change that prospect of course. I would love to eat my words after a few more games, but for now...
For currently healthy from last season besides Natalie HRs it's Makenna with 5, Katie with 7, Josey with 1, Ali with 3, and Carlie with 1. Really hurts power department

and without Hope behind her there's no reason to pitch anything good to Natalie, hence the 6 HBP already

Last edited:

Fiser just not looking like herself. Sucks for a pitcher to get relieved with a one run lead and then have to come back in down by 4.

Sorry, not trying to stir the pot, but I'm a blunt person; just calling it like it is. They suck right now. Not saying they can't turn it around, esp if they get Hope and Elle back from injuries, but it's been a rough start.

The bats have battled back and we are in this game.

Huge win to get offense back on track, Carlie still been the best hitter since the last month of previous season and Sydney should have the primary catcher position locked up now

Fiser just not looking like herself. Sucks for a pitcher to get relieved with a one run lead and then have to come back in down by 4.
Autumn is the more reliable pitcher of the two so far this season

I hope I eat my own words many more times. Clutch hitting tonight vs. a very good team in the Seminoles.

BTW. Partain is so very good.

Partain offensively has been one of the most solid fun batters the Gophers have had. She is so calm at the plate and can see the ball so well no matter who is pitching. So so glad she is a Gopher. She's a natural. Cannot teach that.

It appears Pease is definitely the much needed #2 pitcher for this team. Feel for Fiser. She has carried this team way too long. Hopefully, this win can get the bats going all around.

Can anybody speak on Jensen's position with the team, if she is on scholarship or not? If out all this season too, is a player only allowed 4 years to play at the Division 1 level no matter their status, if it is medically related or not?

Without Hope out there protecting Natalie and vice versa, how many times will Natalie get hit by pitch? I bet she's got a few lumps!

Partain offensively has been one of the most solid fun batters the Gophers have had. She is so calm at the plate and can see the ball so well no matter who is pitching. So so glad she is a Gopher. She's a natural. Cannot teach that.

It appears Pease is definitely the much needed #2 pitcher for this team. Feel for Fiser. She has carried this team way too long. Hopefully, this win can get the bats going all around.

Can anybody speak on Jensen's position with the team, if she is on scholarship or not? If out all this season too, is a player only allowed 4 years to play at the Division 1 level no matter their status, if it is medically related or not?
She's a redshirt sophomore this year, normally just get one redshirt year but they make exceptions for a sixth for medical

Great win. This kind of comeback win can propel a team. Hope those bats stay going.

1-9 RISP and a popped up sac bunt on a ball on 2-0 count

1-9 RISP and a popped up sac bunt on a ball on 2-0 count
The hitting is pathetic, no agressiveness at the plate, except for Partain. And the defense not a whole lot better. MN gave VT 5 or 6 outs in the 6th inning and Fiser still pitched out of it. The expectations are so high for this team, but the production very limited.

So, is Brandner out temporarily or for the season? This team really really needs her production.

Same coaches and same players (returning starters and non-starters) from last year with the same results so far this year. Poor batting averages from the same players. It is like they picked up where they left off from last year. Partain is the only consistent batter in the lineup. Not good.

Like I have stated before, I feel bad for Fiser. She did not have her best outting today, but she kept them in it to be able to win. Sorry, but Fiser cannot, I repeat, cannot carry this team two years in a row. She needs an emotional big time break. I do not see that coming soon.

Same coaches and same players (returning starters and non-starters) from last year with the same results so far this year. Poor batting averages from the same players. It is like they picked up where they left off from last year. Partain is the only consistent batter in the lineup. Not good.

Like I have stated before, I feel bad for Fiser. She did not have her best outting today, but she kept them in it to be able to win. Sorry, but Fiser cannot, I repeat, cannot carry this team two years in a row. She needs an emotional big time break. I do not see that coming soon.
I appreciate your feelings, but not exactly all the same players at all, sadly. Gone are: Burns C, excellent defensively (notice the PBs this year) & she could hit, too; Brandner IB so far, great defensively and a power hitter plus a team leader; Arneson SS, great sparkplug, who wouldn't've thrown the ball away to IB ln a potential double play in the 6th inning this evening; Brandt LF, with good hands, who covered ground well & likely would've caught the OKLA St home run; Houlihan RF, a fine outfielder and an even better hitter, given her career stats almost irreplaceable; she wouldn't ever have lazily allowed the Missouri SS to stretch a bloop single into an easy double. Sorry, but just the things I see on the field, or missing from it.

Top Bottom