Gopher Softball 2020

This year they not only have a strong nonconference schedule, they have a very strong conference schedule as well. They will be tested all year and could/should end up with a super high RPI. Couldn't help but notice that they dropped their annual RPI killing series against South Dakota. Anyway, fingers crossed for the two additions over winter break. We need them to be very good.

Not sure if she is out for the year. I do know that she is currently not medically cleared to play. Of course, no information is given regarding her condition.

Anybody else get season tickets? Got one SRO/GA, they're still tentatively adding outfield risers but fine just standing behind home. Spent close to $150 for LSU tickets last year off ticketmaster secondary so that will pay for itself if they have tickets at face this year

Need Amber for Missouri and Kentucky, would be nice if Kianna and Ava can handle the other 3 games alone

Lineup for the 4pm game. Brandner still out and Ellee isn't starting yet

4 Partain
8 Vander Heide
7 DenHartog
5 Kemmetmueller
3 Hansen
6 Brandt
DP Jones
2 Peterson
9 Lindner
Flex/1 Pease

2 wins today against mediocre competition. Mizzou and Kentucky will show us where this team is at early in the season.

Didn't get a chance to see either game yesterday, but sounds like Autumn Pease had a good debut, which is a positive. As to Hope, it sounds like she wasn't cleared to play this weekend, but they are still hoping to get her back at some point this season. Could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Didn't get a chance to see either game yesterday, but sounds like Autumn Pease had a good debut, which is a positive. As to Hope, it sounds like she wasn't cleared to play this weekend, but they are still hoping to get her back at some point this season. Could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.
Watched both games on the free streaming service. Autumn looked very good. She had good movement on her pitches and hit her spots. She has a wicked changeup. She is getting the start against Mizzou. Fiser was erratic. When she was on, she was unhittable. Jones pitched to three batters. She did not get any outs. Hitting in the first game was MIA. In the second game, they were better. I think that all their travel issues figured into their play.

They might have lost too much to graduation and with this year's injuries to two starters to overcome. Time will tell.

Need to be run ruling weak teams like south Alabama, tied 0-0 through 2

Washington walkoff win vs UAB, would have been a great early upset had they lost

I've been in Clearwater all weekend & watched the 5 Gopher games. Very disappointing, for a team ranked in the top ten. The squad appeared listless and uninspired even in the games they won. Their bats were slow, the pitching ordinary, & the defense at times slow to react. What struck a spectator most was the batters' passive approach at the plate and lack of pop, something missing in recent years from Gophers. At 4-4 in the 7th inning vs. Missouri, Gophers had runners in scoring position with 1 out but failed to put a single ball in play. It was clear Missouri & Kentucky came to play in a big way. They acted like the higher ranked teams, not Minnesota.

Trust me. At home and watching all 5 games on You Tube wasn't easy or enjoyable either. After this graudating Senior class, the remainder of the roster are all Jaime's recruits, correct or not?

Trust me. At home and watching all 5 games on You Tube wasn't easy or enjoyable either. After this graudating Senior class, the remainder of the roster are all Jaime's recruits, correct or not?
Correct, I think, not certain. Maybe the Gophers'll be great by season's end, whadda I know. All that's certain from on the spot in Clearwater is that Minnesota fielded a mediocre team this weekend. Even Missouri State and South Alabama played them pretty much even for 13 innings.

Should still be ranked, but probably 18-22 range. 1 HR, 37 K of 140 AB + 28 BB + 7 HP not very good. Stats for the weekend:

DenHartog 6-14, 5 runs, 5 RBI, 1 HR, 4 hbp
Partain 7-18, 3 2B, 5 RBI, 4 bb
Strelow 3-8, 3 runs, 4 bb
Hansen 6-18, 2B, 3B, 7 RBI, 5 k
Brandt 4-16, 2 RBI, 3 runs, 5 BB, 5 k
Lindner 2-8, 2 runs, 2 rbi, 3 bb, 4 k
Jones 2-10, 1 run, 5 k
Vander Heide 2-15, 3 runs, 1 rbi
Kemmettmueller 1-13, 3 runs, 5 bb, 4 k

Fiser 23 IP, 15 H, 12 R (9 er), 10 BB (yikes), 38 K, 7 WP
Pease 13 IP, 12 H, 6 R (6 er), 0 BB, 19 K, 0 WP

Strelow 4 SBA / 1 caught
Peterson 1 SBA / 0 caught

Hansen 2 errors, rest 0

Not correct. Other than the transfers, all of the seniors and juniors are Alister's recruits. Some of the sophomores may have been in the pipeline when Jamie was named coach.

I'm not that worried about the batting after one weekend. A lot of new faces were in the lineup and it takes time to adjust...plus I was happy to see Strelow and Hansen did well. Plus, if/when Brander and Jensen get back in the lineup, that will boost offensive production. I'm much more concerned with the pitching. A 4.50 team ERA against mediocre competition (on average) won't win many games.

Last year had team .379 OBP and 4.87 AB/K, .403 OBP and 3.78 AB/K, so need to put more balls in play. Amber .913 WHIP last year and 1.174 this weekend so that needs to improve for sure. 7 wild pitch and a passed ball in 5 games vs 34 wild pitch and 11 passed balls in 60 games last year also concerning

Not good stats this past weekend, for sure. Being in the bleachers (such as they were) in Clearwater, what I felt even more lacking from the Gophers was any real sense of drive or go-get-em spirit. Their opponents, even those who lost to MN, came out eager and determined and it showed, while MN didn't seem 'with it.' That could've started with the bad flight experience they had on the way to FL. Whatever, there were lots of (would've been) PBs and wild pitches that didn't register because the opponents had no runners on base, and so many of the balls the Gophers hitters put in play were mere dribblers or fluke infield hits. Missouri and Kentucky looked confident on the field from the start took the games out of the Gophers' hands from the beginning.

I was hoping to see the two new additions (pitcher from MN, catcher from Utah) get some playing time this weekend.

looked like Ellee was still in two walking boots. We really miss her.

I thought Amber looked very uncomfortable all weekend. Maybe she always does this but after every pitch she did stretching exercises. Windmills, pulling on her arm, etc. I watched her in the dugout and I don’t think she was getting any extra treatment, so hopefully all is well and the stretching between pitches is just part of her routine.

winning run on 3rd base with less than two outs in the bottom of the 7th. MUST put the ball in play.

Two frosh split time behind the plate. They will figure it out.

Ellee and Hope still out, Delanie too with right leg

Top Bottom