ITunes being retired-what to do???

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I saw the news this morning that Apple is retiring ITunes and while that may be welcome news for some, it leaves me in a bit of a panic. I've got thousands of songs built up in that library, still use an IPod to listen to my library of songs, and I'm freaking out that is all going to go up in smoke with the shuttering of ITunes. Any advice on what to do or websites I could go to that'll walk me through this transition?

What??? I basically use Amazon for all my new music now, but all my hundreds of CD’s and former purchase are on iTunes. Are you saying we won’t have access to those anymore?? That can’t be right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i only listen to cassettes.

my assumption would be that nothing is going to happen to the media that you have downloaded or to the software on your computer and the media that you have on it. you would probably just have to upload it to the cloud. but the cloud is no guarantee either.

it does raise an important question that i have been interested in since i did my college work in history, working with ancient manuscripts that have been taken care of for centuries/millennia and books that have been in libraries for decades/centuries.

for the last 20 years there has been a push to digitize all media and get rid of musty old hard copies of books and microfiche and music that take up so much physical space. however, my contention is that it would be easier to lose mass amounts of digital data than it would have been to lose that data stored physically. it would likely take some kind of disaster on a large, if not global, scale. but that is more foreseeable than losing every academic and public library in the western hemisphere at once.

given the lack of human care, physical media can last for decades to millennia. without human care, digital media has a much shorter lifespan, even given the most optimal conditions. in the long term outlook, digital information is far more transient than is physical information.

i don't think it's a matter of if a library-of-alexrandria-type event will happen to digital information. i think it's a matter of when.

also, as old physical copies of information get digitized, it raises the important questions about who is digitizing and what are they putting a priority on saving. there is literally reams of information that exists only in a few musty hard copies and that really holds no interest to any outside of a few scholars, or maybe no one at all at this present time. who is going to save that information. might we lose mass amounts of data as we digitize it because there is little to no value placed on certain information? we could lose our understanding of whole groups of people and whole threads of understanding, just out of sheer apathy -- or even more sinisterly -- out of intentional censorship.

i did some work at the hill museum and manuscript library at st john's abbey when i was in undergrad. they have, or had, an effort to go and digitize the mass amounts of information that is stored in benedictine monasteries in the middle east that are dying out or being persecuted out. most of that information holds little value to anyone but a very few scholars and theologians, or maybe even no value to anyone. but it should fall to no man to decide what information should be saved and what should be forgotten to the past.

Last edited:

Expect loads of "What to do with your music library now that iTunes is dying" articles when Apple makes the announcement and explains their plan.

This is why I still buy CDs for all my favourite artists. I like having a physical copy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is why I still buy CDs for all my favourite artists. I like having a physical copy.

A lossless physical copy, no less. I don't mind storing discs as a master original. I've had mp3s be corrupted, and all I have to do is re-rip them.

I've never liked being at the mercy of a cloud-based archive. I like to have things in my greasy meathooks. Besides, there are still plenty of places without data access.

I honestly haven't bought a CD since 2004.

A lossless physical copy, no less. I don't mind storing discs as a master original. I've had mp3s be corrupted, and all I have to do is re-rip them.

I've never liked being at the mercy of a cloud-based archive. I like to have things in my greasy meathooks. Besides, there are still plenty of places without data access.
Correct. Being able to rip them onto my computer using my own preferred compression format (LAME) and bit rate (224vbr) is also way better than being forced to take whatever itunes or amazon is offering....which is usually worse quality than I prefer.

I honestly haven't bought a CD since 2004.

Even if I already have a digital album, I'll buy a CD from the merch table at a show, just to support the band. They need the money more than I do.

Even if I already have a digital album, I'll buy a CD from the merch table at a show, just to support the band. They need the money more than I do.

I haven't been to a concert (or show) since 2008...

:confused: I have some land to sell. I'd appreciate your support....

If I can find my old blank CDs I'll make you a mixed tape for $20.

Back at ya: I've put together a playlist of modern rock from about mid-1988 to mid-1992, which was sort of a golden age of the genre. 8 CD's / ten and a half hours of music. It turned into quite a project finding all of those songs, some of which were out of print and not to be found on any digital platform. My friends tried to pay me for gifting them with it, and I refused...but I'd let you. :D

I propose a trade, you know like they did in S2's golden age of the 1850s. :)

There is nothing to do... Upgrade to the new one and move on with life with all your existing files. If you’re on windows, nothing changes.

Top Bottom