Gopher Baseball 2020

D1 Baseball came out with their Big Ten preview and had the Gophers 2nd behind Michigan. They picked Max Meyer as pitcher of the year and raved about the Gophers staff.

I'm hoping to go to the game against TCU on the 22nd at US Bank. Can't find a way to get tickets for that one on the Gopher sports site. Do I just buy them at the ticket window outside the stadium before the game?

I'm hoping to go to the game against TCU on the 22nd at US Bank. Can't find a way to get tickets for that one on the Gopher sports site. Do I just buy them at the ticket window outside the stadium before the game?
I think you can only get tickets for games at Siebert through gophersports.com. You can either just buy them at U.S. Bank Stadium ticket office for those games or through or ticketmaster.
Here is what was in the single game tickets available article on Gopher Sports.
MINNEAPOLIS – Single game tickets for the 2020 Minnesota Baseball season are now on sale for all 31 home games scheduled to take place in Minneapolis this spring.

For the Gophers' 17-game slate at Siebert Field, tickets can be purchased through the GopherSports website. Tickets cost $5 for seniors and youth (under the age of 18), as well as for groups of 15 people or more. General admission adult tickets are $8, with reserved chairback seats being $12.

As for Minnesota's 14-game schedule at U.S. Bank Stadium spanning from Feb. 22-March 11, tickets are available for $10 each through the U.S. Bank Stadium Ticket Office and Ticketmaster. Minnesota highly encourages fans to purchase tickets at the U.S. Bank Stadium Ticket Office on game day to avoid online fees.

Daily tickets for all-day access to the 2020 CambriaCollegeClassic at U.S. Bank are also $10 per day. Full tournament packages are available for $25.

New to this year, season ticket holders receive free admission to all home games scheduled to be held at U.S. Bank Stadium in 2020. Students may also attend all U.S. Bank games free of charge in addition to all home games at Siebert Field.

I think you can only get tickets for games at Siebert through gophersports.com. You can either just buy them at U.S. Bank Stadium ticket office for those games or through or ticketmaster.
Here is what was in the single game tickets available article on Gopher Sports.
MINNEAPOLIS – Single game tickets for the 2020 Minnesota Baseball season are now on sale for all 31 home games scheduled to take place in Minneapolis this spring.

For the Gophers' 17-game slate at Siebert Field, tickets can be purchased through the GopherSports website. Tickets cost $5 for seniors and youth (under the age of 18), as well as for groups of 15 people or more. General admission adult tickets are $8, with reserved chairback seats being $12.

As for Minnesota's 14-game schedule at U.S. Bank Stadium spanning from Feb. 22-March 11, tickets are available for $10 each through the U.S. Bank Stadium Ticket Office and Ticketmaster. Minnesota highly encourages fans to purchase tickets at the U.S. Bank Stadium Ticket Office on game day to avoid online fees.

Daily tickets for all-day access to the 2020 CambriaCollegeClassic at U.S. Bank are also $10 per day. Full tournament packages are available for $25.

New to this year, season ticket holders receive free admission to all home games scheduled to be held at U.S. Bank Stadium in 2020. Students may also attend all U.S. Bank games free of charge in addition to all home games at Siebert Field.
Thank you!

Starting pitchers named for the weekend. Max Meyer, Sam Thoerson and Patrick Fredrickson. TBA for Monday's game against Arizona

Couple of preview articles

Any of you in the know, have some tidbits or new guys to watch? Especially offensively as that is where I think we are going to need some guys to step up. Plenty out there on the staff, Meyer especially, but wanted to see if anybody had some good insight.

Any of you in the know, have some tidbits or new guys to watch? Especially offensively as that is where I think we are going to need some guys to step up. Plenty out there on the staff, Meyer especially, but wanted to see if anybody had some good insight.
As for the starting lineup goes, the two I am interested in is Ron Sweeny and Jack Kelly. Sweeny has power and Was a juco all-American. Kelly transferred from Northwestern and batted .296 for them last year. He also had a great summer in the Northwoods league

Gophers are rolling! Up 9-0 in b3. 4 extra base hits so far. Raabe off to a 3-3 start. Meyer gave up a lead off triple but otherwise has been lights out.

Last edited:

11-9 now in t8. Bullpen is really struggling with control. 7 earned runs in 2+ innings since Meyer was taken out with a seemingly safe 9 run lead.

Guys got a little too loose in some of those middle innings and a couple freshmen making their debuts struggled a little with command. Good to be able to learn a lesson but still get the win. Looking forward to see what Thoresen can do today. Little hard to follow with only stats but hoping to see he has refined that command a little more.

Gophs are going straight 9 today? No DH. Thoreson a good hitter?

Gophs are going straight 9 today? No DH. Thoreson a good hitter?
No they aren't. Thoresen isn't a hitter. Anderson sometimes just lists it that way and then you don't have to officially name who the DH is until their spot comes up in the lineup

Too many free passes today from Gopher pitching and it cost them in the loss. Don't think the short turnaround did any favors either. Gotta bounce back tomorrow and get the win.

That was disappointing. The pitching staff needs to find some control.

I was at the opening game against the Quacks. Left after the top of the sixth. Most of the Oregon crowd cleared out by the fourth inning. Stood next to some MLB analytics guys and they told me Max hit 100 mph a couple times in the second inning. He looked great and so did the new guys in the order. Kozicky had a couple of spectacular plays in the field. Surprised to see the final score as it was a beatdown when I left. The dreaded college pitching meltdown apparently. We look to have a nice squad. Michigan beat Vandy up the road a couple miles in a repeat of the CWS final.

Thoresen and Fredrickson looked like they did last year this weekend. Thoresen still doesn't throw strikes and Fredrickson gets hit hard when he does throw strikes.

I saw 2 Gopher games in Tempe, Friday and Saturday. Both games were plus 4 hours. The death of baseball: pitchers who won’t consistently throw it over, and hitters who step out and adjust everything. I wish coaches would emphasize better pace. You are killing the sport.
PS I saw their 3rd game was 4 hours.

I saw 2 Gopher games in Tempe, Friday and Saturday. Both games were plus 4 hours. The death of baseball: pitchers who won’t consistently throw it over, and hitters who step out and adjust everything. I wish coaches would emphasize better pace. You are killing the sport.
PS I saw their 3rd game was 4 hours.

I agree. It makes it very difficult. To make matters worse, there was no television for these games so media timeouts are not an excuse.

The Good
-6 of the guys who started at least 3 games at the plate hit over .300 for the weekend. Considering the hitting was the biggest question mark coming into the season this is a good sign!
-Max Meyer, how can you not love this guy? 5 IP, 1 ER, 7 k's, 2 h. He's almost unhittable when he's on
-Culliver, I know he only pitched 1 total inning in 2 appearances but he got 2 k's and didn't give up a hit.
-Horton, 2.1 innings in relief against a tough AZ squad and only surrendered 1 hit and 0 walks
-Massey, was VERY shaky on Friday but rebounded well on Monday. All total, 6 IP and 10 K and 1 BB. Love it. We won't talk about the 4 HBP though (see below)

The Bad
-Kozicky....I love Jordan and he is probably the most important player in our lineup. As our only senior, he will be called up on to provide leadership. But let's be honest, he didn't have a great weekend. 2 for 12 at the plate and 2 errors. He'll be alright.
-Fredrickson....is it time to face the music that Phil just might not have it anymore? 3.1 IP and 7 hits.

The Ugly
-Pitching control....35 IP for the weekend and 27 walks. Yikes. Add in 12 hit batters and DOUBLE YIKES. The k's are hits allowed are very good but the walks/HBP just killed us in the losses to Pepperdine and San Diego.
-4 hour games. I don't know what it is but something has to be done. The games need better flow.

The Good
-6 of the guys who started at least 3 games at the plate hit over .300 for the weekend. Considering the hitting was the biggest question mark coming into the season this is a good sign!
-Max Meyer, how can you not love this guy? 5 IP, 1 ER, 7 k's, 2 h. He's almost unhittable when he's on
-Culliver, I know he only pitched 1 total inning in 2 appearances but he got 2 k's and didn't give up a hit.
-Horton, 2.1 innings in relief against a tough AZ squad and only surrendered 1 hit and 0 walks
-Massey, was VERY shaky on Friday but rebounded well on Monday. All total, 6 IP and 10 K and 1 BB. Love it. We won't talk about the 4 HBP though (see below)

The Bad
-Kozicky....I love Jordan and he is probably the most important player in our lineup. As our only senior, he will be called up on to provide leadership. But let's be honest, he didn't have a great weekend. 2 for 12 at the plate and 2 errors. He'll be alright.
-Fredrickson....is it time to face the music that Phil just might not have it anymore? 3.1 IP and 7 hits.

The Ugly
-Pitching control....35 IP for the weekend and 27 walks. Yikes. Add in 12 hit batters and DOUBLE YIKES. The k's are hits allowed are very good but the walks/HBP just killed us in the losses to Pepperdine and San Diego.
-4 hour games. I don't know what it is but something has to be done. The games need better flow.
Excellent summary! Thank you! Totally agree on the 4 hour games. Something has to be done. I think this team has the potential to have a very good year. As is almost always the case, it will depend on if the pitching can improve and be consistent.

I'm not real worried about the pitching yet seems like our guys always take a few weeks to really settle in control wise. Definitely gotta show some improvement this weekend though on the free passes.
Hitting showed some signs this weekend and you'd hope that is something that continues to build.
Some really positive debuts for young guys even though most were limited appearances.
One thing from Monday's game I saw a tweet from someone covering the game said Culliver exited with a trainer after facing only 2 batters so hopefully nothing serious there.

Top Bottom