2019 Golden Gophers Season Preview and Prediction: ("9 win season is on the table")

Yet that same 2016 team struggled against a bad Oregon St team, and a very average G5 Colorado State team. Yet you think if the Gophers struggle at Fresno St this year, that spells trouble?

I'm expecting the gophers to struggle at Fresno State. It's the west coast trip with the late start time.

The Big 10 is littered with teams that have made this trip with the inferior opponent, but the heat, late start time, etc makes the big 10 team somewhat sluggish.............most times you are glad to get out of there with a 1 point win.

While i expect a struggle, I will not use it to gauge the remainder of the season.

Those people ended up being wrong after the season played out. And none of those teams are on our schedule.

If the Gophers end up 2-1 with a close loss at Fresno St, no I will not be worried, even though I expect them to be 3-0.

Yo weren’t worried about the team after with close wins vs CSU and Rutgers and as we know were thrilled with the 9 win season in 2016. Got it.

Teams are judged by early season derps whether we like it or not. Stumbling out of the gate isn’t going to get butts in the seats or win recruits hearts and minds. Yes, at times teams can recover and still win divisions and conferences but that’s not the norm. I sincerely hope PJ has a more talented team (on paper) ready to go, as motivation is his raison ’dêtre.

Teams are judged by early season derps whether we like it or not. Stumbling out of the gate isn’t going to get butts in the seats or win recruits hearts and minds. Yes, at times teams can recover and still win divisions and conferences but that’s not the norm. I sincerely hope PJ has a more talented team (on paper) ready to go, as motivation is his raison ’dêtre.

You can slip in the beginning, but the Pollsters will look at the last 9 games harder than one slip in the beginning as long as you don't go 1-2.

TALON says that the Gophers will beat Fresno . It's not Fresno you have to worry about but GSU.

I'm expecting the gophers to struggle at Fresno State. It's the west coast trip with the late start time.

The Big 10 is littered with teams that have made this trip with the inferior opponent, but the heat, late start time, etc makes the big 10 team somewhat sluggish.............most times you are glad to get out of there with a 1 point win.

While i expect a struggle, I will not use it to gauge the remainder of the season.

My Lord, heaven forbid Gophs improve. If Gophs aren't 3-0 going away with how they ended 2018, we all need to be worried. Fresno is predicted to have a big drop-off from every article I've read.

My Lord, heaven forbid Gophs improve. If Gophs aren't 3-0 going away with how they ended 2018, we all need to be worried. Fresno is predicted to have a big drop-off from every article I've read.

The goths will be improved.

Why is this so fu----g hard for some people?

My Lord, heaven forbid the Gophers don’t go 3-0 to start. What shall we all do?

They Gophers may be improved but if they don’t start 3-0 the we all need to be worried is an absolutely ridiculous take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is logical to think the Gophers will be improved and Fresno will be worse than last year. Many share your opinion. However, if you follow this thread, you will see some will view any slight against FSU’s prominence (this year or last) as a slight against PJ. It doesn’t have to make sense.

My Lord, heaven forbid the Gophers don’t go 3-0 to start. What shall we all do?

They Gophers may be improved but if they don’t start 3-0 the we all need to be worried is an absolutely ridiculous take.

Explain this one to me.

If you have hopes of a 9-win season, and in one of the first three games of the year they lose to an inferior team, it is ridiculous to then be worried about the team’s ability and if they are good enough to reach 9-wins? Huh?

If we were to play and beat a top 10 team early in the year, would it also be ridiculous to then be more optimistic of our ability for the rest of the year?

Explain this one to me.

If you have hopes of a 9-win season, and in one of the first three games of the year they lose to an inferior team, it is ridiculous to then be worried about the team’s ability and if they are good enough to reach 9-wins? Huh?

If we were to play and beat a top 10 team early in the year, would it also be ridiculous to then be more optimistic of our ability for the rest of the year?

It’s pretty simple - one loss or win does break or make a season.

Based on the over / under predicted win total for the Gophers which I believe is around 6-7 reaching 9 wins would be an overachievement. I’ll side on what Vegas thinks every time.

Can they get to 9 wins? Maybe, and nothing wrong with hoping for it but as this should be the expectation it’s a reach

Last edited:

Based on the over / under predicted win total for the Gophers which I believe is around 6-7 reaching 9 wins would be an overachievement. I’ll side on what Vegas thinks every time.

Can they get to 9 wins? Maybe, and nothing wrong with hoping for it but as this should be the expectation it’s a reach. If they get to 9 wins it certainly wouldn’t be disappointing as has been suggested.

Not sure of “official” odds, but a quick google search puts the o/u around 8.

Anyway, regardless of the number one predicts - I still fail to see how it is “absolutely ridiculous” to worry if the Gophers lose early to an inferior team. Of course one game doesn’t make or break the season and teams can get better/worse over the course of the year - but if one views an early season win (over good team) or loss (to inferior team) as an indicator of ability throughout the season - that not only seems logical, but also prudent.

From the point of view of a long-time Gopher fan:

Logic doesn't enter into it. Statistics don't enter into it. We are talking about Gopher Football. It defies logic, statistics and reason.

The only sure thing about Gopher football for EVERY season is this:

the Gophers will lose at least one game that no one thinks they should lose.

Every single year.

I don't know which game it will be.

BUT - if you want to know when or if the Gophers have "turned the Corner" - if you want to know whether Fleck is truly making a difference in the program -

it will be when the Gophers win every game in which they are favored. A year with no upsets. A year with no games where they fall flat on their faces. A year with no games where the fans walk away wondering "how in the bleeping bleep did we lose that game?"

Will 2019 be that year?

I don't know. Ask me in December. (or maybe early January.......if that is not tempting fate)

So, yes - the Gophers could lose to Fresno state. The gophers could theoretically lose to any team on the schedule - including Rutgers.

How do you guys feel about recruiting commits in Nov in the scenario of a coach on a 3 year contract? Worried, not worried...

Can they get to 9 wins? Maybe, and nothing wrong with hoping for it but as this should be the expectation it’s a reach

Based on how the year ended expectations are sky high for 2019. If the gophs drop a non con they have to find a way to make it up vs a Big Ten team to reach that 8 or 9 win level. Agree it doesn’t mean squat for the Big Ten race but my enthusiasm tempers a bit. Pretty normal reaction I’d think.

Some of you remember how historically fluky that 2016 game vs Oregon State was. Three targeting expulsions, two snaps hiked into orbit over Leidner’s head with one resulting in a safety, penalties...and Dever’s incredible Ichabod Crane thing. Crazy game. The team looked like ****. Still won. If the Gophers can break in the new guys unscathed and get 3 wins prior to the Big Ten run I’ll be a lot more optimistic about a west division crown. I don’t know why that’s hard to understand or even quibble with.

This is off-topic, but I'm feeling ornery:

To John Galt:

John, in the long run, you have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to my opinion.

But, in the end, the final score is still the final score, and the record is still the record.

50 years from now - 100 years from now - people will look back at this era, and the wins will still be wins, and the losses will still be losses. They won't know or care if a particular game was a "good win" or a "bad win" - if a game was a "good loss" or a "bad loss." It will just be a win or a loss.

and 50 years from now - or 100 years from now - you and I will both be dead. and the argument will die with us.

Unless there is a John Galt, Jr, and he is on this board 50 years from now arguing with Spoofin, Jr. "Yeah, well, my dad says your dad was an idiot....."

Based on how the year ended expectations are sky high for 2019. If the gophs drop a non con they have to find a way to make it up vs a Big Ten team to reach that 8 or 9 win level. Agree it doesn’t mean squat for the Big Ten race but my enthusiasm tempers a bit. Pretty normal reaction I’d think.

Some of you remember how historically fluky that 2016 game vs Oregon State was. Three targeting expulsions, two snaps hiked into orbit over Leidner’s head with one resulting in a safety, penalties...and Dever’s incredible Ichabod Crane thing. Crazy game. The team looked like ****. Still won. If the Gophers can break in the new guys unscathed and get 3 wins prior to the Big Ten run I’ll be a lot more optimistic about a west division crown. I don’t know why that’s hard to understand or even quibble with.

It's seen a slight towards Fleck needing to be refuted.

In the same token, any FBS football team who wins 12 games in a season is a really good team. Regardless of who they lose, Fresno St has always been a solid football program, and Jeff Tedford has proven to be a good coach.

The first road game of the season can be difficult for any team, especially against a solid opponent. Most people aren't expecting them to lose, just that it's very possible it could be a close game. Based on that, I don't think a close win would be anything to become concerned about. I don’t know why that’s hard to understand or even quibble with.

In the same token, any FBS football team who wins 12 games in a season is a really good team. Regardless of who they lose, Fresno St has always been a solid football program, and Jeff Tedford has proven to be a good coach.

The first road game of the season can be difficult for any team, especially against a solid opponent. Most people aren't expecting them to lose, just that it's very possible it could be a close game. Based on that, I don't think a close win would be anything to become concerned about. I don’t know why that’s hard to understand or even quibble with.

Teams like Fresno usually follow up a run of above average records with mediocre to below average. It’s the nature of the beast outside of a G5 machine like Boise.

You can tamp expectations all you want and god forbid talk about air dehydration, Fresno’s super bowl but considering their massive turnover in personnel I hope not to see a bumbling, disorganized effort. Yes, FSU could turn out to be a G5 outlier again but statistically that’s unlikely.

It's seen a slight towards Fleck needing to be refuted.

Nice try but nope. Has nothing to do with Fleck.

All it means is stating 2-1 isn’t cause for everyone to be worried.

Fresno State loses 4 offensive linemen, 5 of their top 7 tacklers, their QB, 2 of their top 3 receivers including the 1300+ yard Johnson. Their recruiting classes are historically in the 80s and 90s suggesting the next man up may not be as talented.

If MN was losing that would you predict trouble or a dip next year, or at least be a bit worried?

All it means is stating 2-1 isn’t cause for everyone to be worried.

You expect another middling 6/7 win season, so I can see why it wouldn't cause you to worry.

I'm expecting Fresno's offense to sputter. No reason to think they would be better on offense this year at this point. As long as we don't make a bunch of mistakes and turnovers I expect a more comfortable win than last year. No reason to expect their defense to be better either based on the talent they lost. I think we will have way more success running the ball this time around which will help off set the road game factor. We only averaged 2.9 yards per carry last year while having to lean on the inexperienced Bryce Williams. I'm thinking we hang 30+ points this time around while they fail to crack 20.

You wouldn’t think so - but you can’t be too careful about these things.

Yeah Tedford I think is the wild card.

He is a good coach, they lost guys....but they said that last year too.

Top Bottom