R.I.P. to the great Tony Glover

Tony Glover, Willie Murphy - a lot of the old West Bank gang is leaving us. I wish I could jump in a time machine and go catch a show back in the 70's at the Triangle Bar or one of those joints.

The best thing about Koerner, Ray and Glover is that they were all about the music. they didn't give a rat's ass about being stars, or making a lot of money- they just wanted to play, sing, and have a good time.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...monica-player-bob-dylan-dead-obituary-842037/

Rolling Stone put together an archive of Glover's articles.

Beyond his harmonica playing, Glover was something of an early rock and roll renaissance man. He worked as a writer and critic, contributing to magazines like Crawdaddy and Cream, while also writing extensively for Rolling Stone between 1968 and 1973 (an archive of his work is available here). He also penned liner notes for other artists (John Lee Hooker, the Jayhawks, John Hammond), plus three books of harmonica instruction, one of which was even cited by the New York Dolls’ David Johansen. And in the late Sixties, Glover served as a late-night DJ on KDWB-AM in Minneapolis, scoring interviews with artists like Jimi Hendrix and Pete Townshend when they came to town.

Tony Glover, Willie Murphy - a lot of the old West Bank gang is leaving us. I wish I could jump in a time machine and go catch a show back in the 70's at the Triangle Bar or one of those joints.

The best thing about Koerner, Ray and Glover is that they were all about the music. they didn't give a rat's ass about being stars, or making a lot of money- they just wanted to play, sing, and have a good time.

For what it's worth, Palmer's is now in the hands of a guy who's been part of the local music scene and intends to keep the old vibe. There will be some chances to stop in and catch so good throwback music.

Also, Patti Smith had a great description of Glover in the Strib. "Tony was modest yet knew who he was, he knew his own worth. He was a loyal, discreet and benevolent friend. He was a man with an unshakable personal code. He was Little Sun Glover, leaving us silently, his rays quietly reverberating."

Top Bottom