Start Times for Three Home Games Announced

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Three home Minnesota football game times were announced today. The Gophers will start their season at TCF Bank Stadium at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 29, against South Dakota State. The game will be broadcast on FS1.

Minnesota will host Georgia Southern at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 7, and that game will be on BTN.

The Maroon and Gold will welcome Illinois to town for Homecoming on Saturday, Oct. 5. That kick will be at either 2:30 or 3:00 p.m. and a television broadcast partner will be announced in the future.

It was also announced today that Minnesota will play at Rutgers at either 2:30 or 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 19. That is the second road game time announced, as it was previously disclosed that Minnesota would play at 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 7 at Fresno State.

Go Gophers!!

****ing 8pm.... all for FS1... and South Dakota State.

Too ****ing late IMO.

I don't mind the 2:30 games, those are alright.

Personally, I love the 8:00 PM start for the opener. It gives more time for tailgating without having to leave work super early. I always take the Friday after the Thursday night game off anyway and make a four day weekend out of it. So I don't care much if I get home at 10:00 pm or midnight.

Great for me and the kids who have football practice!

No home games for the Twins or Vikings on August 29th, so at least we don't have those excuses this year.

No home games for the Twins or Vikings on August 29th, so at least we don't have those excuses this year.

Prediction:

The student section will have a lot of students!

Yes I know i'm playing with a loaded deck predicting student attendance for that game.

The opener will have to go on the DVR. HS football games open that night for most of the 9-man teams in SW MN.

In general - 5 games announced, and no 11am starts. I'm sure they'll get a couple of 11am games in the conference. I just don't like the earlier start time.

I'm old. I think all college football games should kick off at 1:00pm on Saturdays - except for maybe one national game at 6:00 or 7:00pm.

The opener will have to go on the DVR. HS football games open that night for most of the 9-man teams in SW MN.

In general - 5 games announced, and no 11am starts. I'm sure they'll get a couple of 11am games in the conference. I just don't like the earlier start time.

I'm old. I think all college football games should kick off at 1:00pm on Saturdays - except for maybe one national game at 6:00 or 7:00pm.

I'm old too, and that's precisely why I LIKE the 11:00 am starts! Everybody knows that old people are out of bed by 6 am even on the weekends. 15 years ago when we bought our season tickets, I thought I wouldn't like the 11 am starts, but they have now grown on me. I actually prefer them, because it gives me the rest of the day to do things. (plus we drive up from Rochester, and the daylight drive home is nice)

per the U:

Three home Minnesota football game times were announced today. The Gophers will start their season at TCF Bank Stadium at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 29, against South Dakota State. The game will be broadcast on FS1.

Minnesota will host Georgia Southern at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 7, and that game will be on BTN.

The Maroon and Gold will welcome Illinois to town for Homecoming on Saturday, Oct. 5. That kick will be at either 2:30 or 3:00 p.m. and a television broadcast partner will be announced in the future.

It was also announced today that Minnesota will play at Rutgers at either 2:30 or 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 19. That is the second road game time announced, as it was previously disclosed that Minnesota would play at 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 7 at Fresno State.

Go Gophers!!

So the Gophers play a home/away double header on Sept 7? :p

Georgia Southern is Sept. 14.

Regarding start times (apparently that's where this thread is going) as a tailgater I hate 11:00 starts. By the time you get there and get setup you have to start tearing back down. I think they really make the atmosphere of the tailgating and the games less fun.

Last edited:

7 posts already with various responses as to the times. Can't please everyone despite all having firm and understandable feelings as to why.

Ewww. You know how much great college football you forgo watching if ALL college football starts at 11am on Saturday? No late days games? No weeknight games? That's when a lot of teams gain exposure.

And no offense. Some of us couldn't give a damn about HS football.

Personally, I love the 8:00 PM start for the opener. It gives more time for tailgating without having to leave work super early. I always take the Friday after the Thursday night game off anyway and make a four day weekend out of it. So I don't care much if I get home at 10:00 pm or midnight.

100%, the 6 PM kicks for the Thursday opener are terrible. Traffic is always brutal, and most people need to rush out of work to make it down for any pregame tailgating.

Ewww. You know how much great college football you forgo watching if ALL college football starts at 11am on Saturday? No late days games? No weeknight games? That's when a lot of teams gain exposure.

And no offense. Some of us couldn't give a damn about HS football.

No offense - but that's my job. I'm paid to cover HS football.

100%, the 6 PM kicks for the Thursday opener are terrible. Traffic is always brutal, and most people need to rush out of work to make it down for any pregame tailgating.

In addition, it's a little more pleasant in the stands once the sun has gone down (sunny side only).

I'm old too, and that's precisely why I LIKE the 11:00 am starts! Everybody knows that old people are out of bed by 6 am even on the weekends. 15 years ago when we bought our season tickets, I thought I wouldn't like the 11 am starts, but they have now grown on me. I actually prefer them, because it gives me the rest of the day to do things. (plus we drive up from Rochester, and the daylight drive home is nice)

Bingo, so much time for activities!

Agreed. I take a long weekend as well.

I missed the entire 1st quarter for the last 6pm start.

Minnesota will host Georgia Southern at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 7
Minnesota would play at 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 7 at Fresno State.

Go Gophers!!

That's a rough scheduling quirk, but it can be done:

1. Home game gets over at about 5:45.
2. No showers, just right to the airport to catch a 6:30 charter flight.
3. Three-and-a-half hour plane ride to land at 10:00 CDT at Fresno International Airport. But wait! It's PDT! It's only 8:00.
4. Unload the equipment and the team, and pull in at Bulldog Stadium at 8:45.
5. Some stretching and a handful of airplane peanuts, and the boys are ready to roll.

3. Three-and-a-half hour plane ride to land at 10:00 CDT at Fresno International Airport. But wait! It's PDT! It's only 8:00.
5. Some stretching and a handful of airplane peanuts, and the boys are ready to roll.

Just invest in about 100 parachutes and they wouldn't even have to land the plane before getting off. Fly right into the stadium. Fleck comes in last with a huge Row the Boat Flag.

TV pays the bills man. Gotta get up to date. I’m sorry old too but will be there. I like the start time.

Yep.

Ditto, I do the same, always take the Friday off for the extended weekend. Start time means I can basically work a full day on gameday and still have plenty of time to eat/tailgate beforehand.

I'm thinking split-squad...

I love that opening home Thursday game. I always take that day off work and Friday as well and enjoy the late summer weather knowing it will change in a few weeks.

Realizing that not everyone has paid time off at work, or flexibility but most do, and I have hard time using up all of my PTO hours every year, so why most bitch about these Thursday games, I do not know. Just take the damn day off work or at least take the afternoon off. Better yet, start at 6AM and leave around 2. Problem solved

Sometimes I think people just like to complain.

I find the whining about the BTN basketball start times to be an example of this whining.

Apparently a 6PM start and and and 8PM start are the end of the world, but somehow the magical 7PM is just so great. Going to bed one hour late is going lead to what? Death? Explosive pooping? As far as 6PM starts, leaving a bit early to get to a game is going to change our lives for the worst? Get over it, and alter your plans a bit.

Last edited:

Just invest in about 100 parachutes and they wouldn't even have to land the plane before getting off. Fly right into the stadium. Fleck comes in last with a huge Row the Boat Flag.

We could have the whole team parachute in for the home opener!

Top Bottom