Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Urbandale View Post
    There's no reason to watch that.
    Auto correct has a great sense of humor

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

My general feeling about the Gophers lineup/playing time for next season?

Oturu, Kalscheur, and Carr (there is no other point guard) will gobble up major minutes. The rest of the minutes? I have no idea. ... there are so many new faces that don't know what it's like to go up against Big Ten competition night in & night out. That'll be the intriguing thing this season, figuring out which guys can handle that.

It's a free for all who gets the remaining minutes. I trust Pitino will give minutes to the guys he thinks deserve 'em. He's proven he's willing to bench guys that were highly regarded recruits (Jelly), local kids that have produced little (Hurt), and grad transfers that he thought could help team but didn't pan out (Stull).
    Last edited by SelectionSunday; 06-12-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Obviously the lineup starts with Oturu, Kalesheur, Carr and Willis. These guys have played Power 5 basketball and started in the past and are most ready to absorb the punishment of the B1G.

Next most ready:
    Hurt - although limited he has experience
    Curry - If he recovers sufficiently
    Demir - Big body and hopefully can handle it.
    Omersa - Hasn't developed yet but can handle physicality
    Tre Williams - played in the highest leagues of High School

Unknowns:
    Ihnen
    Freeman

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    My general feeling about the Gophers lineup/playing time for next season?

Oturu, Kalscheur, and Carr (there is no other point guard) will gobble up major minutes. The rest of the minutes? I have no idea. ... there are so many new faces that don't know what it's like to go up against Big Ten competition night in & night out. That'll be the intriguing thing this season, figuring out which guys can handle that.

It's a free for all who gets the remaining minutes. I trust Pitino will give minutes to the guys he thinks deserve 'em. Even if it makes him look bad (for some recruiting decisions), he's proven he's willing to bench guys that were highly regarded recruits (Jelly), local kids that have produced little (Hurt), and grad transfers that he thought could help team but didn't pan out (Stull).
    Pitino makes them earn it, which is great. I'm sure other schools can point out what happened with IW to recruits. (But Pitino can counterpoint with where IW ended up transferring to)

Stull played out of necessity. While I will always be in his debt for his performance at Wisconsin, he didn't play well. Coming in out of shape was not right. But Pitino had no other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    Obviously the lineup starts with Oturu, Kalesheur, Carr and Willis. These guys have played Power 5 basketball and started in the past and are most ready to absorb the punishment of the B1G.

Next most ready:
    Hurt - although limited he has experience
    Curry - If he recovers sufficiently
    Demir - Big body and hopefully can handle it.
    Omersa - Hasn't developed yet but can handle physicality
    Tre Williams - played in the highest leagues of High School

Unknowns:
    Ihnen
    Freeman
    I think Demir will contribute big time. He may lack athleticism, but he can ball. Just needs to keep TO's limited. Him and Oturu are going to play well together.

Omersa is going to step up this season. Just a hunch.

Love Curry's game, but this team can not count on him at all. He might one of those guys always injured, ruining a very promising career.

Hurt is not going to play much. He's just too timid.

Tre Williams is going to play. Otis (post above) makes a great point about him playing against top competition. That's going to enable him to play right away.

Freeman is not going to play much and Im okay with that. Big men with his athleticism are recruited a lot harder than that if they have some game. He is going to be raw and Pitino/staff will have to develop him, which is great. My only concern with that method is the Konate/Diedhou examples. But not every recruit can be a super star for the non blue blood programs. They have to develop some so they can contribute to good teams as upper classmen.

Ihnen is the ultimate wildcard. You get word that he is on the radar of the NBA scouts. But what does that even mean? They know who he is. I feel like he would have gotten a lot more attention from other schools if he was a legit NBA prospect. At this point, i'm guessing he is raw and wont contribute right away, but with more experience, could really take off and be a good player late in the season or sophomore year.

I wonder if Tre Williams will have a bigger impact in his freshman year than Hurt will at Duke.

Williams played the Oak Hills and other bigs of the Prep Academy circuit and excelled. So he should be able to handle the speed and physicality right away.

Hurt excelled against Region 1 Minnesota High School league competition (just like his brother) and failed to advance past the only real high level team in their region in Lakeville North. Yes he had great individual numbers but he was not transcendent enough to get through. He hasn't stood out at any of the practices or the game against the other McDonalds players (Duke recruits). So I wouldn't be surprised at all if he struggles to excel initially.

Then again, Buggs came from a prep academy.

I wonder if Tre Williams will have a bigger impact in his freshman year than Hurt will at Duke.

Williams played the Oak Hills and other bigs of the Prep Academy circuit and excelled. So he should be able to handle the speed and physicality right away.

Hurt excelled against Region 1 Minnesota High School league competition (just like his brother) and failed to advance past the only real high level team in their region in Lakeville North. Yes he had great individual numbers but he was not transcendent enough to get through. He hasn't stood out at any of the practices or the game against the other McDonalds players (Duke recruits). So I wouldn't be surprised at all if he struggles to excel initially.

There's this thing called AAU where Hurt made his bones. Excited for Tre, but to answer your question no

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJamesMD View Post
    I think Demir will contribute big time. He may lack athleticism, but he can ball. Just needs to keep TO's limited. Him and Oturu are going to play well together.

Love Curry's game, but this team can not count on him at all. He might one of those guys always injured, ruining a very promising career.

Tre Williams is going to play. Otis (post above) makes a great point about him playing against top competition. That's going to enable him to play right away.

Freeman is not going to play much and Im okay with that. Big men with his athleticism are recruited a lot harder than that if they have some game. He is going to be raw and Pitino/staff will have to develop him, which is great. My only concern with that method is the Konate/Diedhou examples. But not every recruit can be a super star for the non blue blood programs. They have to develop some so they can contribute to good teams as upper classmen.

Ihnen is the ultimate wildcard. You get word that he is on the radar of the NBA scouts. But what does that even mean? They know who he is. I feel like he would have gotten a lot more attention from other schools if he was a legit NBA prospect. At this point, i'm guessing he is raw and wont contribute right away, but with more experience, could really take off and be a good player late in the season or sophomore year.
    If Omersa were to really take a step up, that would be huge. He is a kid that has a toughness and charisma that can really add the X factor to a team. Getting a loose ball, grabbing a rebound or making some energy play and amazing dunk- any of those things can pick a team up and the home crowd as well.

Ihnen:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bED2uwIcKtc Looks good to me!

Hurt didn't earn his ranking based on what he did at JM. He earned that from dominating high end competition in the summer. If Tre has a bigger impact here, it is either because Hurt got injured or because Tre exceeded expectations to the point that he is a legit one and done player.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJamesMD View Post

I think the greatest indicator of whether Ihnen can have an impactful freshman season will be his defense. If he can/chooses to play good defense, he can be very valuable with his length and reported athleticism, regardless of what he does on the offensive side of the floor.

I think many people will be pleasantly surprised how this team plays. The addition of more versatile players allows Pitino to turn up the defense and switch styles on the fly. It all depends upon how maturely the younger players can handle it.

I expect them to be in the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    I think many people will be pleasantly surprised how this team plays. The addition of more versatile players allows Pitino to turn up the defense and switch styles on the fly. It all depends upon how maturely the younger players can handle it.

I expect them to be in the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same. This should be a competitive squad in the B1G.