Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by diehard View Post
    Very nice team. I believe Omersa shocks most Gopher fans this year. That has us 10 quality deep. We are as good or better next year. We are getting close (finally) to the team Pitino wants to coach.
    Day one I think it's between Demir or Curry. Depending on Curry's health. Curry will also get Oturu's back up minutes unless Freeman surprises. I see Omersa as a spark off the bench, like our version of a young Dennis Rodman. Ilhan I see more as a wing, big wild card this year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gopherall View Post
    Why does everyone have Demir penciled in as a starter? I understand he put up decent numbers last year but that was a Drexel. Much like almost all of our recent small school grad transfers he may not be ready for big boy ball. The way I see it all four of Curry (healthy or not) Omersa, Demir, and Ihnen will have about the same odds of starting at the four game one for us.
    I would love to see Curry be healthy and win the position from day 1 this year. That is the highest end potential situation for us. However, with all of the injuries, that is tough to plan for. Ihnen might play some 4, but I think he was recruited as a 3 and I think he is the eventual starter at the 3. Omersa is a guy that I have to believe will come in as a designated defensive, rebounding guy and a guy who will provide energy when it is needed for 15 minutes a game. It is hard for me to see him developing enough offense in one summer, to play big minutes this year. A stretch 4 fits really well with Oturu and that's what Demir is supposed to be. You are right though, at this point, no one really knows. Pencil Carr, Oturu and Gabe in as starters and the rest is anyone's guess. Ihnen and Williams are the two guys that we have to hope Pitino nailed it on.

No one talks about Freeman, but I am really excited to see him play. News from the Italian trip will be interesting.

One positive thing about losing 2-3 of the top producers from last season is that uncertainty breeds excitement!

Quote Originally Posted by gopherall View Post
    Why does everyone have Demir penciled in as a starter? I understand he put up decent numbers last year but that was a Drexel. Much like almost all of our recent small school grad transfers he may not be ready for big boy ball. The way I see it all four of Curry (healthy or not) Omersa, Demir, and Ihnen will have about the same odds of starting at the four game one for us.
    Because he's healthy, experienced, and skilled. No guarantee that he translates to the Big Ten (though he did have a solid 14 and 8 against Rutgers this year). Curry, if truly healthy, will probably start over him, but he's recovering from surgery and has had 3 surgeries in his short time as a Gopher, so he's hard to count on right now. Omersa had a couple good games defensively, but we play 4 on 5 offensively when he is in the game. He has potential, but is as raw as they come. I'd be shocked if he gets more minutes than Demir. Ihnen could very well start at the 4, but I imagine he will be playing mostly at the 3 since Coffey is gone. If we get Woolridge, it could be fun to put Ihnen at the 4 and press.

Starting Wings- Carr, Willis, Gabe
    Bench Wings: Inhen, Williams, Woodridge, Hurt

Starting Posts- Demir (stretch 4) and Oturo
    Bench Depth: Curry, Omersa, Hurt (stretch 4) and Freeman (spot minutes)

Decent depth, plus I see our offense using a lot of ball screens again, but with more pop actions and less high lows with a more possessions and a little more up tempo. Excited to see this team with some added depth.
    Last edited by manderson1984; 06-06-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    Starting Wings- Carr, Willis, Gabe
    Bench Wings: Inhen, Williams, Woodridge, Hurt

Starting Posts- Demir (stretch 4) and Oturo
    Bench Depth: Curry, Omersa, Hurt (stretch 4) and Freeman (spot minutes)

Decent depth, plus I see our offense using a lot of ball screens again, but with more pop actions and less high lows with a more possessions and a little more up tempo. Excited to see this team with some added depth.
    Gotta land Woodridge first. Guessing with move in day coming up that should be soon. Unless he's taking summer school

Starters by conference play
    Carr
    Gabe
    Ihnen
    Curry
    Oturo
    Book it!!

If Curry is able to start by mid-season, that would be a big plus for the team. I just think that might be asking too much. With his injury history, I would be happy if he gets back to the point where he can play 10-15 solid minutes a game.

I see the starters as Carr - Willis - Gabe - Oturu - and a mulligan stew for the 5th starter. Depending on the opponent and the match-up, I would not be surprised if 4 or 5 different players rotated into that 5th spot. On any given night, could be Demir, Hurt, Omersa, Curry if healthy - and if one of the newcomers really surprises, maybe Williams or Ihnen.

Quote Originally Posted by gopherhoopsguy View Post
    Starters by conference play
    Carr
    Gabe
    Ihnen
    Curry
    Oturo
    Book it!!
    I really dont care who starts as long as it gives us a line up that can shoot and score.

I loved Jordan Murphy as much as anyone. However, he prevented us from really having a prolific offense. Having him and oturo on court meant that 40% of our starters couldn't shoot outside 10 ft and opponent knew that.

We need to have a 4 or our 5 man be able to shoot from outside. Carr needs to be prolific in the high ball screen offense, and Willis, William's, ihlen and hurt all need to be able to shoot 3s off carr penetration. I actually hope omersa rediscovers his love to shoot from outside and works on his pick and pop plays. He is is quick and could be great in that offense if he works at it

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
    I really dont care who starts as long as it gives us a line up that can shoot and score.

I loved Jordan Murphy as much as anyone. However, he prevented us from really having a prolific offense. Having him and oturo on court meant that 40% of our starters couldn't shoot outside 10 ft and opponent knew that.

We need to have a 4 or our 5 man be able to shoot from outside. Carr needs to be prolific in the high ball screen offense, and Willis, William's, ihlen and hurt all need to be able to shoot 3s off carr penetration. I actually hope omersa rediscovers his love to shoot from outside and works on his pick and pop plays. He is is quick and could be great in that offense if he works at it
    Did Omersa shoot it much from the outside in HS? Only saw him once in HS, and he didn't shoot much outside 8 feet from the hoop in that game. I have never heard that he was a pick and pop guy, and his FT% (though a very small sample size) tells me he doesn't have the ability to do that right now. Do you mean Curry?

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle22 View Post
    Did Omersa shoot it much from the outside in HS? Only saw him once in HS, and he didn't shoot much outside 8 feet from the hoop in that game. I have never heard that he was a pick and pop guy, and his FT% (though a very small sample size) tells me he doesn't have the ability to do that right now. Do you mean Curry?
    I wouldn't call him a pick and pop guy either. I saw a few of his hand games, I've seen him and take and knock down the open three. He was an okay free throw shooter the times I saw him as well. I would expect that to get better with more minutes and chances

Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    I wouldn't call him a pick and pop guy either. I saw a few of his hand games, I've seen him and take and knock down the open three. He was an okay free throw shooter the times I saw him as well. I would expect that to get better with more minutes and chances

Omersa will probably never be a "shooter". He'll take end of shot clock open threes, but he's going to be an energy guy who gets his buckets attacking the boards and rim. This idea that he had a "love" to shoot prior to his gopher career is hilarious. Bemidji is right that he should continue to improve however and hopefully can be serviceable.

I saw a few of his hand games
    There's no reason to watch that.

I also saw him play. I thought at the time, it was a recruiting mistake. Not sure what the Gopher staff saw in him. The Tribune got him his scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete smith View Post
    I also saw him play. I thought at the time, it was a recruiting mistake. Not sure what the Gopher staff saw in him. The Tribune got him his scholarship.
    Are you serious?