Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default 2019-2020 lineup

Barring an impact late signing- what do you all see as the lineup? This team can still be excellent if Carr and Oturu become stars. Gabe is terrific.

I have:

Oturu
    Demir
    Ihnen
    Gabe
    Carr

Bench
    Willis 1/2
    Curry 4/5
    Williams 2/3
    Omersa 4

Deeper
    Freeman 5
    Hurt 3/4

I actually look for Freeman to surprise and play more as the year goes on. Curry is a wild card because of the injury issue but he would battle Demir if he gets back to 100%.

Would have loved to have Coffey back, but this is going to be a fun squad to watch! This is a totally different type of team than last year's squad.

I don't think Ihnen will be ready to start at the beginning of the season. Pitino could have a three guard starting lineup:

Carr
    Willis
    Gabe
    Demir
    Oturu

Hopefully Pitino can add a freshman or grad-transfer PG (though that well is really drying up at this point), now that minutes are freed up with Coffey's departure. There have been a number of reports that Willis has played well in practice and continues to impress the coaching staff. So I think he could potentially start if we land another PG that can come off the bench.

I see the starting five as

Carr 30+ minutes

Willis 25-30 min player

Gabe 30+

Demir 18-23 minutes

Oturu 30+ if not in foul trouble

Bench

Curry 15-20 minutes, battle Demir to start if healthy

Hurt 10-15 minutes steady hand, but if freshman are ready could see him losing minutes

Ilhan 10-15 minutes could play his way into starting five

Tre Williams 5-10 minutes, could cut into Hurt or some if Willis minutes potentially

Omersa, they'll be 5-10 minutes a night for his energy off the bench.

Freeman I don't have much expectation for this year, any production is a bonus

Think we have more depth this year, but without Coffey who will step up and stir the drink. Carr? Oturu?, even when he was a 10th grader always thought Gabe was destined for greatness

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Default 2019-2020 lineup

I think it will be a 3 guard lineup. Carr and Gabe plus either Williams or Willis. Obviously Demir and Oturu starting in the front court. As Ihnen gains more experience it is possible he may see an increased role with starter minutes at the wing but he appears to be very raw so would be surprising to see him in the starting lineup early on.

I think we will be seeing a lot of space and pace offensive sets from the Gophers this season. Carr is very crafty. Surrounding a Carr + Oturu pick and roll with shooters should be quite effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by A nonymous; 05-30-2019 at 10:55 AM.

PG: Carr, Mika Adams Woods or Willis
    SG: Willis, Williams
    SF: Gabe, Ihnen, Hurt
    PF: Demir, Omersa
    C: Oturu, Curry, Freeman

Blog Entries

I think either Willis or Williams will start at the 3. I don't see Hurt starting and it seems like Ihnen will be a bit raw? I suspect whoever starts at the beginning it will be Williams there by the end.

Projected depth chart based on current roster

PG: Carr/Williams
    SG: Willis/Williams
    SF: Kalscheur/Ihnen/Hurt
    PF: Demir/Omerssa/Hurt
    C: Oturu/Curry/Freeman

Looking at this makes me want Mika Adams even more for those backup point minutes. With so many new faces though, pretty tough to project until later in the summer.

I know Hurt is not a fan favorite - but like it or not, with Coffey leaving, Hurt is going to be a regular part of the rotation. He probably will not start, but he will be the 6th or 7th man and play 15-20 minutes a game.

Why - the coach likes him, and he will not (excuse the pun) hurt the team. He may not make any great plays, but he moves the ball on offense - a skill that this offense needs most nights.

My guess at the starting line up:

PG Carr-25 / Willis-10 / Williams-5
    SG Gabe-25/ Willis-10 / Williams-5
    SF Ihnen-20 / Hurt-15 / Williams-5
    PF Demir-20 / Curry-10 / Omersa-5
    C Oturu-25 / Curry-10 / Freeman-5

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I know Hurt is not a fan favorite - but like it or not, with Coffey leaving, Hurt is going to be a regular part of the rotation. He probably will not start, but he will be the 6th or 7th man and play 15-20 minutes a game.

Why - the coach likes him, and he will not (excuse the pun) hurt the team. He may not make any great plays, but he moves the ball on offense - a skill that this offense needs most nights.
    If Hurt plays it is for one of two reasons- he got better and more confident or we recruited badly. The same Hurt as last year will not play if our recruits are as solid as they appear to be. I'd rather tough out the rough moments with a frosh than play a non-assertive senior.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post

If Ihnen and Williams are truly top 110 players then I would expect them to get PT over Hurt at the 3. And Gabe and Willis. And would expect Omersa to get PT ahead of him at the 4.

I like:

Oturu
    Demir
    Ihnen
    Gabe
    Carr

Abrams I agree with your starters. Curry first big off the bench. Willis first small off the bench. Omersa second big and Williams next big.

Might surprise us and start Omersa as Demir is only here for 1 year. If Omersa improves his Free Throws he has a chance. No chance to play big minutes until that issue is fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m all in on Ihnen. Size and skill means he starts by the start of conference play.

From what I've heard about Willis, wouldn't be surprised if we ran a 3 guard lineup of Kalscheur at the 3, Willis at the 2 and Carr bringing the ball up. Really hoping that Carr and Willis can be game changers for us.