No Amir but we have 2 Schollies. Who can we get?

Otis

Reaction score
There is the High School kid who pulled himself out of Nebraska. He's a PG, which would help with depth. Does help fill part of the Grand Canyon sized hole left by Coffey.

Still think we need some serious help at SF, and it looks like there are some minutes definitely up for grabs there.

Currently we have:

Hurt
Ihnen
Willis?
Gabe

These are the guys best suited to fill the SF/wing position. I would feel a lot better about next season if we could get an experienced player to fill the SF void who can shoot and defend.

Immediate Eligible guys in Transfer Portal:

Jaevin Cumberland 6'3" SG (Oakland)
Tevin Mack 6'6" SF (Alabama)
Donte Fitzgerald-Dorsey 6'4" SG
Curtis Jones 6'4" SG (Okla St.)
Shawn Occeus 6'4" SG (Northeastern)

Sit-out transfers who could try for immediate eligibility: (This really isn't much of an option and I don't see this helping but you never know)

Grimes (Kansas)
Omoruyi (Rutgers)
Quinerly (Villanova)

High Schoolers:

Tujautae Williams - Yep, he's still out there. Trying to get people to properly pronounce his name.
Frederico Miaschi - The smooth shooting Italian with all-name-team chops is still an option.
Sardaar Calhoun - Still looking for a school, maybe we are more attractive now.
Kobe Brown - he wouldn't de-commit again would he?

Who are our options?

Last edited:

There is the High School kid who pulled himself out of Nebraska. He's a PG, which would help with depth. Does help fill part of the Grand Canyon sized hole left by Coffey.

Still think we need some serious help at SF, and it looks like there are some minutes definitely up for grabs there.

Currently we have:

Hurt
Ihnen
Willis?
Gabe

These are the guys best suited to fill the SF/wing position. I would feel a lot better about next season if we could get an experienced player to fill the SF void who can shoot and defend.

Who are our options?

You could go a couple of ways here. Mika Adams Woods seems to be taking his sweet old time in committing so I wouldn't say that's encouraging. Both Ihnen and Demir committed relatively quickly after their visits. Hope Pitino has a plan B. There aren't many grad transfer points of any quality left and the two or three who are left must be heavily courted by this point. I haven't checked into small forwards yet (Didn't think we'd need one) but they would almost have to be in short supply as well.

I am hoping that Ihnen is the equivalent of a top 50 US HS player. If so, then I think he is the guy that will give us our best shot. I am most excited to see him play of all the newcomers. That said, I hope we get some more spring help.

In replacing the Coffey of last year we are in need of a point guard. Carr does that very nicely. If eligible he would have started last year. Willis is a combo that can handle PG minutes. They both have been in the system and practicing for a year. We will miss Coffey as a SF this year. He would have been big for us, but we have options. It is still a team game.

I am more concerned we have help for Oturu.

Last edited:

Ideally we'd land a high impact grad transfer backcourt player. I'm not so picky on the position as I think Gabe could play the 3 and I also think Carr could play the 2 as well. I think we have a little flexibility there, I wouldn't get worried over specific positions, I just think best GT 1, 2 or 3 we can land is the way to go. I know the pickings are slimming down but I would say this is probably a more attractive spot for some of the guys that fit this criteria now knowing this is a solid team with a wide open spot to start in the backcourt.

I know we have Willis, I know we have Williams coming in but I'd feel better if we landed more depth at those spots in general. I think they can provide solid minutes and some position flexibility as well but I don't want to have to bank on them logging heavy minutes.

Occeus is interesting. Real athletic. Can shoot a little bit. Good defender. Had an injury last year so numbers were down but can make plays. 6”4 could replace Dupree nicely

I think you take a swing on Quinerly/Grimes (low odds they come here) and if they have to sit a year so be it, they are talented kids you hope figure it out here. If they don't, I think taking a FR just to fill spots is foolish as they are unlikely to contribute a ton and eat up spots for '20 & '21. I would then go after that grad list above, you suddenly have a pretty big chip to throw at them with 36ish minutes and a ton of shots available. I would go for Cumberland myself but anyone who can actually play wing minutes would be huge, I don't know we want to have to rely on Hurt or one of the freshman to play giant minutes.

Honest question, when was the last year we banked a scholly? Follow up: how did that next recruiting class look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frederico Miaschi - The smooth shooting Italian with all-name-team chops is still an option.

I doubt he's coming to college in the US. He played a lot (think he started a fair number of games) for a lower level Italian pro team.

Trying to keep up with "Spring recruits/transfers only thread," "All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting" and "No Amir but we have 2 Schollies Who can we get" is making me dizzy.

Top Bottom