Post NBA Draft Decisions B1G Standings Projection

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Michigan and to a lesser extent Gophers biggest losers after draft decisions. I drop Gophers from #6 to #9 with no Amir.

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Iowa
8 Michigan
9 Minnesota
10 Penn State
11 Indiana
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

As of now it kinda seems like Michigan State, Maryland, and Ohio State as that top tier. Rutgers, Nebraska, and Northwestern as that bottom tier. Then that huge middle group that there are probably a lot of different opinions on. I'd have Purdue lower although they always seem to end up right around there. Also would have Wisconsin down with Penn State and Indiana.

Michigan and to a lesser extent Gophers biggest losers after draft decisions. I drop Gophers from #6 to #9 with no Amir.

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Iowa
8 Michigan
9 Minnesota
10 Penn State
11 Indiana
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern
With all do respect Iowa has no PG after Bohannon's injury, loses Moss and Cook, Wisconsin may start the year with eight eligible scholarship players and whose going to score in Purdue's backcourt? Losing Coffey sucks, but I don't think we're hurting as bad as them

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sparty duh
Maryland probably choke and underachieve
OSU probably overachieve
Michigan still alot of good pieces
Illini play hard, here by default I guess
PSU getting Lamar back is huge
Minny interesting pieces, see how they fit
IU, lot of individual talent,
Wisc Almost as many walk-ons as scholarship players
Purdue no straw to stir the drink
Iowa worst off season ever
Nebraska Freddy is wheeling and dealing
Rutgers
NW

I'm not committing till I see how the new Gophers do in the HP Pro-Am.....

Or until I see who else Richard can recruit.

Yeah I’m not sure why Wisconsin should be ranked ahead of Minnesota at this point. They lost their only above average player and still have four (I think) scholarships open. That team has the potential of being a dumpster fire. Reuvers will need to have a Kaminsky-like transformation for them to reach the bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Iowa
8 Michigan
9 Minnesota
10 Penn State
11 Indiana
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

Man, this is a very underwhelming big ten on paper. Iowa at #7? Who's going to bring the ball up? Connor? Yikes. Wisconsin at 6 is fair, but I don't think they'll be a tournament team. I know everyone loves Painter, but Purdue loses a lot, again, and I didn't see a ton coming off their bench that would inspire confidence in being a top 4 team.

I think Penn St will finish higher with the return of Stevens and they return a good chunk of their core. I know they lost Bolton, but they return Watkins and Stevens.

Right now this looks like a 5 bid league at best.

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Iowa
8 Michigan
9 Minnesota
10 Penn State
11 Indiana
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

I don't see Wisconsin nearly as high as you do. Iowa is too high as well.

Here's how I see it:

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
(Significant Drop-off)
4 Illinois
5 Purdue
6 Penn State
7 Indiana
8 Iowa
9 Michigan
10 Wisconsin
11 Minnesota
(another cliff sized drop-off)
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

Whisky will have a post-Happ letdown.
Illinois will continue to develop into a top tier team.
Indiana will rise above expectations with their assembled talent.
PSU will ride their upper classmen to an above .500 record.
Iowa will fall flat.
Purdue I'm just giving the benefit of doubt.
Michigan I have about even with Minnesota.

Short of pulling off a Transfer SF/Wing who can shoot and defend or Ihnen surprising with a Gabe-like Freshman season, I'd say we are heading for the NIT unless Oturu develops into NBA draftee level talent in his Sophmore season.

I feel pretty comfortable with my top 5, though I think Illinois got the short end of the stick with the conference schedule. I have Illini's Big Ten schedule as toughest in the conference.

6 through 11, one could make a case for any of those teams, despite key personnel losses for all of 'em.

I know I have some maroon colored glasses on, but I still think the Gophers are a top 6 team in the Big 10 this year. I also thought that last year, but I thought Carr would be eligible. I think this team will be signficantly different in how we run our offense. Defense will be something that will also only get better with Jeter involved on that end.

I don't see Wisconsin nearly as high as you do. Iowa is too high as well.

PSU will ride their upper classmen to an above .500 record.

I agree with you about PSU. They seem to be one of the teams least damaged by attrition. To my knowledge, they lost only Josh Reaves. If Iowa and Wisconsin do end up in the top half of the conference, their coaches will have done a tremendous job.

If Pitino can land another capable player in the next month, I'm not so pessimistic about this team's chances. Maybe having a ball dominant player like Coffey who feels he's the star of the team isn't the best prescription for a roster with a lot of new faces.

I agree with you about PSU. They seem to be one of the teams least damaged by attrition. To my knowledge, they lost only Josh Reaves. If Iowa and Wisconsin do end up in the top half of the conference, their coaches will have done a tremendous job.

If Pitino can land another capable player in the next month, I'm not so pessimistic about this team's chances. Maybe having a ball dominant player like Coffey who feels he's the star of the team isn't the best prescription for a roster with a lot of new faces.

Penn State lost Rasir Bolton. If he hadn't transferred (to Iowa State), likely would've had Nitts about #8.

Still have more things that can happen in the offseason, rankings can change, will continue with the weekly Friday rankings.

Last edited:

Gophs not likely to be playing pro am...did not play last season

1 Michigan State
2 Maryland
3 Ohio State
4 Purdue
5 Illinois
6 Wisconsin
7 Iowa
8 Michigan
9 Minnesota
10 Penn State
11 Indiana
12 Rutgers
13 Nebraska
14 Northwestern

I see it fairly similar.

1. Michigan State
2. Ohio State
3. Maryland
4. Purdue
5. Illinois
6. Michigan
7. Minnesota
8. Wisconsin
9. Penn State
10. Indiana
11. Iowa
12. Nebraska
13. Rutgers
14. Northwestern

Honestly 5-8 is pretty damn hard to pick

Man, this is a very underwhelming big ten on paper. Iowa at #7? Who's going to bring the ball up? Connor? Yikes. Wisconsin at 6 is fair, but I don't think they'll be a tournament team. I know everyone loves Painter, but Purdue loses a lot, again, and I didn't see a ton coming off their bench that would inspire confidence in being a top 4 team.

I think Penn St will finish higher with the return of Stevens and they return a good chunk of their core. I know they lost Bolton, but they return Watkins and Stevens.

Right now this looks like a 5 bid league at best.

I tend to agree with you for the most part. MSU, MD, Purdue, OSU and Illinois appear to be likely tourney teams. No one else is inspiring of much confidence. Nebraska, PSU and Michigan have some intrigue, but seem to be likely to miss the tournament.

Penn State lost Rasir Bolton. If he hadn't transferred (to Iowa State), likely would've had Nitts about #8.

I didn't know that. That is a significant loss. Strange that he transferred. He played a lot in his freshman year.

I didn't know that. That is a significant loss. Strange that he transferred. He played a lot in his freshman year.

Saw a lot of quotes from his dad, so it was probably one of those deals.

The Big Ten was looking like it was going to be the deepest (and possibly best) conference in the nation again next year. Now, not so much. Breaking down how the underclassman losses affect the teams:

Will be fine:
MSU - Ward (somewhat expected, Izzo and him butted heads all three years)

Definitely hurts:
Penn State - Bolton (transfer, definitely not expected)
Indiana - Langford (expected)
Maryland - Fernando (somewhat expected)

Significant:
Purdue - Edwards (expected)
Iowa - Cook (50/50) and Bohannon (injury, most likely for the season). That Bohannon injury is HUGE.
Michigan - Matthews (expected), Brazdeikis (50/50), Poole (definitely not expected). Could've been a Final Four caliber roster without those losses...
Minnesota - Coffey (not expected)
Rutgers - Omoruyi (transfer, definitely not expected)
Nebraska - Roby (50/50)

Winners:
OSU - Big winners, no unexpected losses.
Illinois - Big winners, no unexpected losses. Many thought Dosunmu might leave after one year, but he's back.
Northwestern - No unexpected losses that I know of, but this is currently not a good roster.
Wisconsin - No unexpected losses, but there isn't a draft-worthy player on this roster.

The Big Ten was looking like it was going to be the deepest (and possibly best) conference in the nation again next year. Now, not so much. Breaking down how the underclassman losses affect the teams:

Will be fine:
MSU - Ward (somewhat expected, Izzo and him butted heads all three years)

Definitely hurts:
Penn State - Bolton (transfer, definitely not expected)
Indiana - Langford (expected)
Maryland - Fernando (somewhat expected)

Significant:
Purdue - Edwards (expected)
Iowa - Cook (50/50) and Bohannon (injury, most likely for the season). That Bohannon injury is HUGE.
Michigan - Matthews (expected), Brazdeikis (50/50), Poole (definitely not expected). Could've been a Final Four caliber roster without those losses...
Minnesota - Coffey (not expected)
Rutgers - Omoruyi (transfer, definitely not expected)
Nebraska - Roby (50/50)

Winners:
OSU - Big winners, no unexpected losses.
Illinois - Big winners, no unexpected losses. Many thought Dosunmu might leave after one year, but he's back.
Northwestern - No unexpected losses that I know of, but this is currently not a good roster.
Wisconsin - No unexpected losses, but there isn't a draft-worthy player on this roster.

Love your breakdown, well done.

Agree with you about the Big Ten taking a big hit with the recent developments. Prior to the Cook/Moss/Bohannon, Iggy/Poole/Beilein/Wilson, Coffey, and Bolton (transfer) developments, I thought the Big Ten was headed toward a 9-bid season, and likely bragging rights for the deepest conference in America. Though I'm currently rojecting 8 teams into the NCAA Tournament, I think in the end it more likely ends up at 6 or 7. Teams that looked like they had really solid NCAA-type rosters now have huge holes to fill, with a lot of unknowns. ... Iowa, Michigan, Gophers, and Penn State.

Now I'd probably rank the SEC ahead of the Big Ten. ... I still think they're gonna' be 1 and 2. ACC after the first 4 or 5 looks pretty unproven to me. Might be a bit of a down year there after the usual suspects (Duke, UNC, UVa, Louisville).

Last edited:

Love your breakdown, well done.

Agree with you about the Big Ten taking a big hit with the recent developments. Prior to the Cook/Moss/Bohannon, Iggy/Poole/Beilein/Wilson, Coffey, and Bolton (transfer) developments, I thought the Big Ten was headed toward a 9-bid season, and likely bragging rights for the deepest conference in America. Though I'm currently rojecting 8 teams into the NCAA Tournament, I think in the end it more likely ends up at 6 or 7. Teams that looked like they had really solid NCAA-type rosters now have huge holes to fill, with a lot of unknowns. ... Iowa, Michigan, Gophers, and Penn State.

Now I'd probably rank the SEC ahead of the Big Ten. ... I still think they're gonna' be 1 and 2. ACC after the first 4 or 5 looks pretty unproven to me. Might be a bit of a down year there after the usual suspects (Duke, UNC, UVa, Louisville).

Ah, that's right. Forgot about Moss transferring. It will be very interesting seeing how Iowa and Michigan respond. Those two were hit the hardest by far. And I'm in total agreement that the SEC probably jumps the Big Ten now. If the ACC and Big Ten underperform and if the Pac-12 stays mostly irrelevant, there are quite a few non-power teams that can take advantage next year. Davidson, VCU, St. Mary's, BYU, Utah St, and Harvard, to name a handfull, should have strong teams next year.

Ah, that's right. Forgot about Moss transferring. It will be very interesting seeing how Iowa and Michigan respond. Those two were hit the hardest by far. And I'm in total agreement that the SEC probably jumps the Big Ten now. If the ACC and Big Ten underperform and if the Pac-12 stays mostly irrelevant, there are quite a few non-power teams that can take advantage next year. Davidson, VCU, St. Mary's, BYU, Utah St, and Harvard, to name a handfull, should have strong teams next year.

I'd add Dayton and perhaps Vermont to that mix, but the Catamounts despite scheduling well out of conference never seem to make a legit push at a potential at-large bid. A-10 and WCC should be much improved.

Didn't know Bolton left PSU. That changes how I feel about them.

1) Sparty
2) MD
3) OSU
4)Illini
5)Mich
6)IU
7) Minny
8) Purdue
9) Wisconsin
10)PSU
11) Iowa
12) RU
13) Neb
14)NW

I am gonna go with top seven in the dance, 8-10 in the NIT

Conference Schedule Rank Based On Average NET Rank Of Opponents

Based on last year's final NET rankings, here's how conference schedules rank from most difficult to least difficult. (yes, I realize some teams will be quite a bit better or worse than last season)

Most Difficult to Least Difficult B1G Schedules
1 Illinois (41.65)
2 Rutgers (41.9)
3 Indiana (43.5)
4 Northwestern (43.8)
5 Ohio State (43.85)
6 GOPHERS (45.9)
7 Iowa (46.45)
8 Wisconsin (46.45)
9 Nebraska (48.7)
10 Penn State (50.3)
11 Michigan State (50.5)
12 Michigan (50.65)
13 Purdue (53.35)
14 Maryland (54)

I'm not committing till I see how the new Gophers do in the HP Pro-Am.....

In the point .02 percent chance you are serious, there is no HP Pro-Am, there is a TC Pro-Am... No current gophers are playing, but plenty of former gophers and local talent to watch.

Top Bottom