Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by macgopher View Post
    But he was a different player game after game at the end of the season. I don’t feel that he had anything but monster games the last five or seven last year.
    Saying monster games a bit of a stretch, but he did average 23.5 a game his last eight and was over 30 in a couple. A pretty healthy stretch.

Saying monster games a bit of a stretch, but he did average 23.5 a game his last eight and was over 30 in a couple. A pretty healthy stretch.

Not invisible in any of his last eight. Agreed he was invisible in many games earlier in the year. But he did elevate his game at the end of the year.

Well, now the team does should get another player. I was OK with one open space on the roster but now we really do need another guard.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    If Coffey says he's coming back, people would be praising him.

He says he's not coming back, and immediately people are on here predicting failure.

It's his life. It's his choice. I think I can say with close to 100% certainty that Coffey's decision-making process did NOT include how Gopher Hole would react.

I hope he goes on to have a solid career. But, if it doesn't happen, I will not be on here ripping him.
    Don’t think most are ripping him- just stating they don’t think he’s ready for the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher in Texas View Post
    +1

His life, his decision.

Best of luck to him. Hope he realizes his dreams. I appreciate all of his efforts for the Gophers, always looked to be giving 100%.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    If Coffey says he's coming back, people would be praising him.

He says he's not coming back, and immediately people are on here predicting failure.

It's his life. It's his choice. I think I can say with close to 100% certainty that Coffey's decision-making process did NOT include how Gopher Hole would react.

I hope he goes on to have a solid career. But, if it doesn't happen, I will not be on here ripping him.
    Well said.

#NothingShortOfGreatness #RowTheBoat #RowsBowl

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Gopher View Post
    Don’t think most are ripping him- just stating they don’t think he’s ready for the next level.

This is true. Believe many of the pro scouts agree with us as well. Maybe one year in the D-league. I'm sure arrangements have been made with a team to at least get him on a team for a year.

I can't help but believe this is a decision Coffey will regret.

But he's done here. Next up.

JTG

You may be correct but I will always be left wondering that if he came back and had a full season of games like his last seven or eight this year then what would his draft position be next Year?
    Unless he develops a much better jumper, and more importantly an off hand...he isn’t nearly good enough to get NBA minutes.
    He is an above average defender.
    A below average shooter.
    A below average ball handler for a guard.

His athleticism is off the charts for college but average for the NBA.

I don’t think he improves the shooting and off hand dribbling enough to make the NBA whether he plays for Minnesota or some Australian team next year

Did you ever notice....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I hope Amir does well as a pro. If he really doesn't want to be a Gopher, it's better for the entire program that he leave to pursue his dreams.
    This decision gives our new guys a chance to show what they have to offer.

Blog Entries

There are two cases where I would never hold it against a guy to leave early: If they are a lottery pick (or even a first round pick at all) or if their family situation means that even G-League or European money would be life changing.

Neither of these apply to Amir. It's obviously his life and his choice. I wish him no ill will but I also don't think we're required to cheer on a poor choice that leaves his former team in the lurch and damages their next season.
    Last edited by howeda7; 05-29-2019 at 11:00 PM.

I wish Amir all the success in pursuing his career in the NBA.

Obviously, Amir was hearing some positive feedback from his tryouts that lead him to believe that he has a legitimate shot at making the NBA. It would be ridiculous to skip your senior and reduce your chances to make the NBA unless he was told that their is interest right now.

As much as some of you want to turn it into some sort of spat with Pitino, it would be childish to throw away at shot at the NBA fir lack of development. You can be sure that his dad would have him “man-up” and spend another year at the Gophers if Amir needed it in the eyes of the NBA!

I would trust what I heard directly from the NBA teams than the Internet pundits.

As others have said, a lot of sour grapes on this thread. One thing that won't change for Amir by staying in college, his body type and athleticism. One thing that will change.. his age. As much as a big part of me hoped he would come back, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

He finished the year well and at least got on the radar of NBA teams. Just because he is not drafted in round 1 (better to go undrafted than round 2), doesn't mean its a bad choice. He will play someone long term, maybe NBA or maybe Europe. He may as well start now. Sure, a all american type senior year where he shoots 42%+ from 3 would help his stock, but a lot can go wrong. He was never destined to be a lottery pick either way, so best of luck to him.

The returning roster is very talented, but raw. Expectations change next year, but I am still excited for future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    There are two cases where I would never hold it against a guy to leave early: If they are a lottery pick (or even a first round pick at all) or if their family situation means that even G-League or European money would be life changing.

Neither of these apply to Amir. It's obviously his life and his choice. I wish him no ill will but I also don't think we're required to cheer on a poor choice that leaves his former team in the lurch and damages their next season.
    Leaving his team in a lurch? Or leaving you, a jilted fan, in a lurch?

Seriously, how old are you?