Report: Gophers guard Amir Coffey officially declares for the NBA Draft

But he was a different player game after game at the end of the season. I don’t feel that he had anything but monster games the last five or seven last year.
Saying monster games a bit of a stretch, but he did average 23.5 a game his last eight and was over 30 in a couple. A pretty healthy stretch.

Saying monster games a bit of a stretch, but he did average 23.5 a game his last eight and was over 30 in a couple. A pretty healthy stretch.

Not invisible in any of his last eight. Agreed he was invisible in many games earlier in the year. But he did elevate his game at the end of the year.

Well, now the team does should get another player. I was OK with one open space on the roster but now we really do need another guard.

If Coffey says he's coming back, people would be praising him.

He says he's not coming back, and immediately people are on here predicting failure.

It's his life. It's his choice. I think I can say with close to 100% certainty that Coffey's decision-making process did NOT include how Gopher Hole would react.

I hope he goes on to have a solid career. But, if it doesn't happen, I will not be on here ripping him.

Don’t think most are ripping him- just stating they don’t think he’s ready for the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

His life, his decision.

Best of luck to him. Hope he realizes his dreams. I appreciate all of his efforts for the Gophers, always looked to be giving 100%.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Totally agree!

He says he's not coming back, and immediately people are on here predicting failure.

It's his life. It's his choice. I think I can say with close to 100% certainty that Coffey's decision-making process did NOT include how Gopher Hole would react.

I hope he goes on to have a solid career. But, if it doesn't happen, I will not be on here ripping him.

Well said. :clap: :clap:

Don’t think most are ripping him- just stating they don’t think he’s ready for the next level.

This is true. Believe many of the pro scouts agree with us as well. Maybe one year in the D-league. I'm sure arrangements have been made with a team to at least get him on a team for a year.

I can't help but believe this is a decision Coffey will regret.

But he's done here. Next up.

JTG

You may be correct but I will always be left wondering that if he came back and had a full season of games like his last seven or eight this year then what would his draft position be next Year?

Unless he develops a much better jumper, and more importantly an off hand...he isn’t nearly good enough to get NBA minutes.
He is an above average defender.
A below average shooter.
A below average ball handler for a guard.

His athleticism is off the charts for college but average for the NBA.

I don’t think he improves the shooting and off hand dribbling enough to make the NBA whether he plays for Minnesota or some Australian team next year

Did you ever notice....
7f1f1b91dee6e317f64bf4c1111e6fe0.gif

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I hope Amir does well as a pro. If he really doesn't want to be a Gopher, it's better for the entire program that he leave to pursue his dreams.
This decision gives our new guys a chance to show what they have to offer.

There are two cases where I would never hold it against a guy to leave early: If they are a lottery pick (or even a first round pick at all) or if their family situation means that even G-League or European money would be life changing.

Neither of these apply to Amir. It's obviously his life and his choice. I wish him no ill will but I also don't think we're required to cheer on a poor choice that leaves his former team in the lurch and damages their next season.

Last edited:

I wish Amir all the success in pursuing his career in the NBA.

Obviously, Amir was hearing some positive feedback from his tryouts that lead him to believe that he has a legitimate shot at making the NBA. It would be ridiculous to skip your senior and reduce your chances to make the NBA unless he was told that their is interest right now.

As much as some of you want to turn it into some sort of spat with Pitino, it would be childish to throw away at shot at the NBA fir lack of development. You can be sure that his dad would have him “man-up” and spend another year at the Gophers if Amir needed it in the eyes of the NBA!

I would trust what I heard directly from the NBA teams than the Internet pundits.

As others have said, a lot of sour grapes on this thread. One thing that won't change for Amir by staying in college, his body type and athleticism. One thing that will change.. his age. As much as a big part of me hoped he would come back, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

He finished the year well and at least got on the radar of NBA teams. Just because he is not drafted in round 1 (better to go undrafted than round 2), doesn't mean its a bad choice. He will play someone long term, maybe NBA or maybe Europe. He may as well start now. Sure, a all american type senior year where he shoots 42%+ from 3 would help his stock, but a lot can go wrong. He was never destined to be a lottery pick either way, so best of luck to him.

The returning roster is very talented, but raw. Expectations change next year, but I am still excited for future.

There are two cases where I would never hold it against a guy to leave early: If they are a lottery pick (or even a first round pick at all) or if their family situation means that even G-League or European money would be life changing.

Neither of these apply to Amir. It's obviously his life and his choice. I wish him no ill will but I also don't think we're required to cheer on a poor choice that leaves his former team in the lurch and damages their next season.

Leaving his team in a lurch? Or leaving you, a jilted fan, in a lurch?

Seriously, how old are you?

It’ll be interesting to follow his development with good coaching.

Well, didn't see this coming. I hope he has a guarantee from someone.

Hopefully Ihnen is a German monster and will be able to fill his minutes.

Interested to see if Pitino can pull some more recruiting rabbits out of his hat.

Just remember where this all comes from Richard Coffey!! From day one he thought Amir was the best player in college basketball! Then he sat and bitch one full season about nate mason on Twitter. Then he forced Richard to play Amir at PG because he now thought was Amir only way to get drafted. That was a train wreck. Now i am sure Richard is blaming Richard for his kid not being the number 1 pick. Amir is a great kid. Richard Coffey is a ...

Well, he'll get to see Europe.

Sad to see him go. Hopefully he gets drafted in the 2nd round and makes a team. It can only help the program with player(s) in the NBA.

My arm chair GM take is that Amir could’ve used another year to develop and he will not be more than a G Leauge player/ bench player. I wholeheartedly hope I am wrong and he develops into a starter. It would be nice to have a gopher in the NBA. I wish he would’ve stayed, this team will take a hit without him next year. Pressure is on Pitino now

I wish Amir all the success in pursuing his career in the NBA.

Obviously, Amir was hearing some positive feedback from his tryouts that lead him to believe that he has a legitimate shot at making the NBA. It would be ridiculous to skip your senior and reduce your chances to make the NBA unless he was told that their is interest right now.

As much as some of you want to turn it into some sort of spat with Pitino, it would be childish to throw away at shot at the NBA fir lack of development. You can be sure that his dad would have him “man-up” and spend another year at the Gophers if Amir needed it in the eyes of the NBA!

I would trust what I heard directly from the NBA teams than the Internet pundits.

I have to assume Team A has told Coffey, "If you're there in the second round, we're going to draft you." But if you think that Coffey is the only player that received that "promise" from Team A, you're fooling yourself.

Questionable decision, but no one here knows what he's hearing from NBA people. I wish him the best. He might have a few teams who have given him the impression they'll take him in round 2. I just hope it's not the Wolves, taking him with a "courtesy pick" for a hometown guy. His skill set does not fit with any of the Wolves needs like outside shooting and ball handling.

I don't see a lot of people ripping him. I see disappointment from the fan base which would be predictable given a good player won't be back and I see a number of people with the opinion that he may struggle to make it at the next level (he is predicted to go undrafted so don't see this as ripping him at all).

And most have put in that they wish him the best. Don't think any true fan would want to see him fail at the next level because it is good for the program when players go on to the NBA and succeed.

Hopefully he gets drafted or finds his way onto a roster. He has never lived up to his full potential and he is going to have to find a way to get there is he wants to make it in the NBA. He clearly has the talent but he was never able to find the consistency during his time here. he would dominate one night and then be totally invisible for stretches.

I would have loved to see him play his Senior Year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I really don't care that he entered. He came to the U at a time where we were coming off back to back seasons where we won less than 6 games in the Big Ten. He led us to 2 NCAA appearances. He was a kid that was a 5 star rated prospect before tearing his ACL and had interest for North Carolina and other blue bloods before the injury. He is at a point where unless he shot 40% from 3 his stock wouldn't have rose if at all. As a Gopher fan I wish he would have stayed, but I don't think we would have finished better than 6 with him so I understand his thought process

As others have said, a lot of sour grapes on this thread. One thing that won't change for Amir by staying in college, his body type and athleticism. One thing that will change.. his age. As much as a big part of me hoped he would come back, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

He finished the year well and at least got on the radar of NBA teams. Just because he is not drafted in round 1 (better to go undrafted than round 2), doesn't mean its a bad choice. He will play someone long term, maybe NBA or maybe Europe. He may as well start now. Sure, a all american type senior year where he shoots 42%+ from 3 would help his stock, but a lot can go wrong. He was never destined to be a lottery pick either way, so best of luck to him.

The returning roster is very talented, but raw. Expectations change next year, but I am still excited for future.

I don't follow the draft, but others have suggested that this is a weak year and probably his best chance at getting drafted. I wonder if that has any influence on his decision. He has a pro future in front of him somewhere. Hard for me to see the NBA at this point, but it certainly is possible. He is healthier now than he has been in two years, and it's not surprising he got some good feedback in his tryouts. As a fan I am disappointed, but you can't wish ill will on him. I do wish the rules would change that would have these decisions made much sooner than the end of May. Why they can't go the baseball route of immediate pro or a three year commitment, I'll never know. This system creates borderline chaos for middling programs like ours that will likely have borderline pros all the time.

The more I think about this, the more I get confused. If Coffey was given assurances, can you really believe an NBA team that promises to draft you in the second round? Don't you think NBA teams are telling that to a bunch of players? I'm having my doubts that Coffey was definitively told he would be drafted or even be signed to a two-way contract, which makes this a very risky move on his part. He has to know that there's a 99% chance that he'll be in the G-League or overseas next season. I know college basketball has changed, and many kids simply don't care enough anymore about staying four years, but if you would give me the option of G-League/overseas vs. potential Big Ten Player of the Year/possible second weekend NCAA tournament team, I would take the latter without much hesitation. The overseas option will always be there for him. This can't be about money, as the Coffey family is doing just fine. There were no reports of riffs between Amir and his teammates. He was on-track to graduate. He had the chance to be the alpha male on the team next year, with a very solid lineup around him. Without Murphy, there would be more open space for him to create and show his skills. I know the current NBA likes potential much more than graduating seniors, but you'd have to believe he'd have a better chance of getting drafted next June if he put up big numbers this year, while gathering accolades and getting more exposure in the NCAA tournament.

All of this brings me to one point: maybe Coffey wasn't exactly enjoying his Gopher experience (or knew he wouldn't enjoy it as much next year) or he butted heads with Pitino. Obviously this is just speculation and guessing, and I don't believe Korzo one bit that his sources told him Coffey would never return. He pulled that out of a hat. Amir wouldn't have waited until the very last day to make a final decision if that was the case. Now I do admit that after the MSU loss in the NCAA tournament, Coffey had the look of a "senior," like that was his last college basketball game. My family and I noticed it right away.

I wish Amir the best of luck. I really hope he gets drafted for his sake, and because it will benefit the Gopher program from a recruiting standpoint. I will be cheering for him no matter where he ends up.

Last edited:

Questionable decision, but no one here knows what he's hearing from NBA people. I wish him the best. He might have a few teams who have given him the impression they'll take him in round 2. I just hope it's not the Wolves, taking him with a "courtesy pick" for a hometown guy. His skill set does not fit with any of the Wolves needs like outside shooting and ball handling.

This better not happen as to the Wolves. If they do, same old, same old approach with them finishing towards the bottom of the division.

Top Bottom