It's all about family as versatile Troy Stoudermire settles in with Redblacks

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Baines:

A month before training camp began for the Ottawa Redblacks, Troy Stoudermire had already driven north with his fiancée, Whitney, and their three boys: Troy (6), Kashton (3) and London, who turned one Tuesday.

With a new opportunity in hand, Stoudermire wanted to make sure he was at his best, and it would be much easier to do what he does with his family close by. Plus the group wioll grow by one in a bit more than a month, with Whitney expecting on July 1, Troy’s birthday. Another daughter, Taryiah, is still in school and at home with her mother.

“Family is the reason I come out here and play like Superman,” Stoudermire said Tuesday. “When you have things to take care of at home, it shows on the field; you can play as fast as you want. I wanted to be 100 per cent locked-in on football, I don’t want to have to worry about anything else, so I made sure my family was A-OK.”

Stoudermire brings plenty of versatility to the Redblacks. Through his football days, he has been a receiver, defensive back and a successful kickoff/punt returner.

During his college days with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers, Stoudermire set an NCAA FBS record with 3,615 career return yards. He also set a single-season record for Minnesota with 1,083 kickoff-return yards in 2008. Stoudermire started his collegiate career as a receiver, making 35 receptions for 433 yards and three touchdowns in his first three seasons, before being shifted to defensive back. He had 149 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 11 pass breakups and three interceptions.

“I’m a bit of everything,” Stoudermire said. “My whole career, I’ve been doing everything. Even in Winnipeg, I remember playing against the Stamps: I was returning punts, playing defence and receiver in that game. Wherever coach needs me to play, I’m here.”

Asked if he had a preference where he lined up, Stoudermire, smiled, then laughed, before saying: “Wherever I can get on the field.”

https://beta.canada.com/sports/foot.../wcm/fa6cdc5a-d18c-46bf-a0b0-06c6c11f49d3/amp

Go Gophers!!

Clearly one of my all time Gopher favorites. I'll never forget the time he kind of had a tough game. Later in the game he caught a nice pass, the crowd erupts in joy while he stands up with his hands in the air in obvious mockery at himself. Meanwhile Barney fife throws a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct or something.

Clearly one of my all time Gopher favorites. I'll never forget the time he kind of had a tough game. Later in the game he caught a nice pass, the crowd erupts in joy while he stands up with his hands in the air in obvious mockery at himself. Meanwhile Barney fife throws a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct or something.

I was there for that. Stoudermire was called for taunting the crowd. At a home game.

Nothing much gets past Barney.

The hit he put on Marcus Coker to basically end the Gophers 27-24 win in 2010 was one of my all time favorite tackles. Coker had broken into the open, never knew what hit him. Fumble, game over.

One of my favorite memories of Troy was when he leveled Iowa's RB to cause a fumble and seal the win against the Hawkeyes. I believe it was 2010 - Horton was the interim coach and it was Weber's last game.

Top Bottom