Asbury Park Press: In an absolute stunner, Eugene Omoruyi to transfer

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Asbury Park Press:

The post went up in the wee hours of Wednesday morning, just after midnight, on the Instagram page of Rutgers basketball standout Eugene Omoruyi.

Its content is stunning: a transfer announcement from the rising senior and team captain, with Rutgers head coach Steve Pikiell’s last name badly misspelled.

Here is the full entry:

“I would first like to thank Rutgers University for the good memories that I had over the past 3 years. I’d like to thank the coaching staff for allowing me to grow as a young man on and off the court. In addition, I would like to thank my teammates for accepting who I am and always having my back. We built great memories and relationships that will last forever.”

“Rutgers will always be a special place to me. But with that being said, I have decided to transfer, and have asked Coach Pikeil and the coaching staff for my release from the program. Thank you.”

Gannett New Jersey has confirmed the post's authenticity, and that Omoruyi informed Pikiell Tuesday night of his intention to enter the transfer portal. It is perhaps the most stunning player departure in the modern history of the program — and there have been more than a few high-impact defections over the years, from Dahntay Jones to Todd Billet to Mike Rosario, Greg Echenique and Eli Carter.

Players are home on break right now and due to report back to campus in a few weeks for summer session. Rutgers now has two open scholarships for next season and a need for a frontcourt warrior.

The circumstances of this move are highly unusual. May 29 is late for a transfer. Rising seniors with one year of eligibility left rarely switch schools unless they’ve graduated early and can seek a postgrad season without sitting out (not the case with Omoruyi). And Omoruyi has been Rutgers’ undisputed leader, a model teammate who seemed to be flourishing on the banks.

The 6-foot-7 combo forward was the Scarlet Knights’ best player in 2018-19, averaging 13.8 points, 7.2 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 29 minutes per game. He improved his range, hitting 14 3-pointers as a junior after making zero as a freshman and sophomore, and shot a reliable 71 percent from the free-throw line. He was named honorable mention All-Big Ten and second-team All-Metropolitan.

Perhaps Omoruyi’s most telling statistic: he’s taken 58 career charges, a sky-high number.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2019/05/29/rutgers-basketball-eugene-omoruyi/1268151001/

Go Gophers!!

Ouch. Rutgers basketball: one step forward, two steps back. This team was competitive in a lot of games last year. Felt like they were finally on the upswing...

Heard he saw what Pitino did with Murpy and thinks he should come here...has a cousin who lives in Minnesota that had a bad cold last year. Immediately eligible.

Heard he saw what Pitino did with Murpy and thinks he should come here...has a cousin who lives in Minnesota that had a bad cold last year. Immediately eligible.

Barkeep, serve me whatever UpAndUnder43's drinking!

Top Bottom