What is Coffey going to do?

• Return to Minnesota

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Stay in the draft

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Go play in Europe

Votes: 20 23.0%

• Total voters

It is $ in this case. Not $$$. If you get injured in anonymity playing for $ you might as well get injured in the limelight of college basketball and play for some glory.
Plus his insurance policy at the U is north of six figures, should he get hurt

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I'm a little alarmed that he is projected to go as high as 46th, previously he was not on any mock draft board which made me feel safe about his return. However, it would seem foolish on his part to enter the draft knowing his max ceiling is the 46th pick. That would generally lead to a player returning for next season. How did he even get to a possible 46th pick? He wasn't invited to the combine, so he is somehow going to be rated higher than someone who was? I hope he realizes those projections are weak and makes his decision to return!

I'm a little alarmed that he is projected to go as high as 46th, previously he was not on any mock draft board which made me feel safe about his return. However, it would seem foolish on his part to enter the draft knowing his max ceiling is the 46th pick. That would generally lead to a player returning for next season. How did he even get to a possible 46th pick? He wasn't invited to the combine, so he is somehow going to be rated higher than someone who was? I hope he realizes those projections are weak and makes his decision to return!

That was only one site that predicted him 46th. The vast vast majority of sites predict he won’t be drafted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuller tweets that Amir was working out for the Sac Kings Today

Even more reason to return then. I have to believe that if he returns and has a full season like the latter part of this past season, his draft floor would at least be the end of the 2nd round. But if he was told he's already at his ceiling with current projections no matter what he does, there really would be no reason to return. Just depends if he listens to the noise right now or decides to bet on himself having an outstanding senior year.

Amir remaining in the draft.

Last edited:

Marcus just tweeted..... NBA bound

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Get the money when you can. Can’t fault the decision.

Best of luck to Amir, hope he gets drafted or worse case invited to a training camp where he can be an affiliated player. We become a bubble team now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Poor decision, IMO. And we just became a bubble team at best. Life as a Gopher fan. Enjoy Sioux Falls, Amir.

Last edited:

Once the weekend went by without a decision, I figured him coming back was less likely. Too bad, I really think next year's team could've been special with him back. Best of luck Amir.

Hope for the best for Amir but I just don't see the rationale behind the decision. From all reports it sounds like he really struggled with the decision and I think he will definitely have some regret when looking back on the decision next March.

I hope it was based on good advice and not some team blowing him smoke. But I suspect Rick Rickert part II.

Bad decision, hard to see him being drafted or playing in the nba. Sucks seeing so many others in the same position as him going back to school.

Because thats his ultimate goal.

Wouldn’t anyone rather play in the NBA, for the money anyway?. I suppose if your higher calling is to see the world and experience other cultures, then go to another county. My gut tells me most college players did not set as one of their high school goals to play division 1 BB so they could after make a leap to Europe or Pacific leagues.

So, I'm guessing the people that advised him make more money if he signs a pro contract. Funny that they'd advise him to turn pro.

JTG

So, I'm guessing the people that advised him make more money if he signs a pro contract. Funny that they'd advise him to turn pro.

JTG

If the people that advised him make a lot of money based on him signing a pro contract then they probably made the right call

If the people that advised him make a lot of money based on him signing a pro contract then they probably made the right call

And if they don't ... no skin off their nose. There's always another mark coming along.

JTG

And if they don't ... no skin off their nose. There's always another mark coming along.

JTG

Right. Cause an agency that represents multiple max contract players would do everything possible to get the 4% of what will be at best a NBA minimum deal or G-League contract.

Right. Cause an agency that represents multiple max contract players would do everything possible to get the 4% of what will be at best a NBA minimum deal or G-League contract.
??

You think that Amir's agent has multi max contract players?

??

You think that Amir's agent has multi max contract players?

The agency he went with also represents Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond, DeAndre Jordan, CJ McCollum, and LaMarcus Aldridge among others. Tiger Woods as well. Doesn't strike me as the type of company that is going to give bad advice to Amir so they can make an extra 1500 bucks. And many agents don't even take commissions on minimum level rookie deals.

The agency he went with also represents Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond, DeAndre Jordan, CJ McCollum, and LaMarcus Aldridge among others. Tiger Woods as well. Doesn't strike me as the type of company that is going to give bad advice to Amir so they can make an extra 1500 bucks. And many agents don't even take commissions on minimum level rookie deals.

I'm sure they got other fish to fry. However, an agency representing Kevin Love et al is highly unlikely paying attention to the AGENT working with Amir Coffey.

I don't think he got bad advice, his dad seems to be quite an intelligent fellow as does Amir. I'm just saying, the agency of record isn't going to insulate them from giving bad/selfish advice. That's a crazy assumption.

I'm sure they got other fish to fry. However, an agency representing Kevin Love et al is highly unlikely paying attention to the AGENT working with Amir Coffey.

I don't think he got bad advice, his dad seems to be quite an intelligent fellow as does Amir. I'm just saying, the agency of record isn't going to insulate them from giving bad/selfish advice. That's a crazy assumption.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a crazy assumption that they would give him bad advice vs do their job. I generally don't assume someone is doing something wrong unless I have good reason to think so.

The commission of the actual agent for Amir might end up being a few hundred bucks on a G-League deal after the agency takes their cut. What would be the long-term incentive for doing that?

And like I said, if the agent ends up making a lot of money off the deal then that means that Amir got a big contract and probably made the right choice.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a crazy assumption that they would give him bad advice vs do their job. I generally don't assume someone is doing something wrong unless I have good reason to think so.

The commission of the actual agent for Amir might end up being a few hundred bucks on a G-League deal after the agency takes their cut. What would be the long-term incentive for doing that?

And like I said, if the agent ends up making a lot of money off the deal then that means that Amir got a big contract and probably made the right choice.

I’m not sure what point you’re arguing.

The size/clout of the agency does not prevent bad/selfish/greedy actions of one of their employees.

That’s all I’m refuting. The agency having xyz superstar on their rolodex does not mean they are a good agency for Amir.

Top Bottom