Sid: Fleck sees growth in Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Fleck sees growth in Gophers

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck recently said one positive he witnessed during spring football was that he saw a lot of talent both in upperclassmen and in some surprising freshmen.

“I thought [defensive lineman] Boye Mafe had a tremendous spring,” Fleck said. I thought [linebacker] Thomas Rush had a tremendous spring. [Linebacker] Mariano Sori-Marin. The next guys.

“Everybody expects [linebacker] Kamal Martin to play well and [linebacker] Carter Coughlin and [defensive back] Antoine Winfield Jr., and you know those types of guys. But it’s the guys that are going to be the backups to those guys — the third-down roles or certain roles with the football team that we need to continue to grow and raise to the level of starters. I was really proud of a lot of their progress.”

The season is still three months away, but several national projections believe the Gophers will finish second in the Big Ten West behind only Nebraska. CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd placed the Gophers at No. 23 in his post-spring practice rankings.

Fleck said that one of the benefits of having low expectations last season means the team understands why they are picked where they are and how they can go about proving experts either right or wrong.

“People are expecting things, we’re the second-youngest team in America, but what we are is experienced,” Fleck said. “Now we can fall back on those experiences, educate them about the pressures and expectations that they’re going to have from the outside. No one is sitting there saying that this team is going to win the national championship from the outside, but there are expectations rising.”

http://www.startribune.com/anthony-barr-will-remain-at-linebacker-for-vikings-this-season/510432352/

Go Gophers!!

we’re the second-youngest team in America, but what we are is experienced

All in the same sentence. Grab the popcorn, the fireworks show is about to begin in GH.

we’re the second-youngest team in America, but what we are is experienced

All in the same sentence. Grab the popcorn, the fireworks show is about to begin in GH.

The crusader is getting his sword and shield ready right now to unmask the true P.J. Fleck.

If you assume Fleck knows what he's doing, then at some level, these choices are deliberate. He is choosing to say these things for a reason. It's not like someone is holding a gun to his head and forcing him to say "2nd youngest team in America." he is choosing to say that.

So, when people raise questions or poke fun at the Coach for the things he says, there's no point in being upset. He said what he said, and he chose to say it.

In the end, it still comes down to winning. If the team wins, he can recite "Jabberwocky" and no one will care. If the team loses, it doesn't matter what he says - he'll be gone.

Don't understand the chubby for Nebraska. I would put Iowa and Northwestern ahead of them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

“I thought [defensive lineman] Boye Mafe had a tremendous spring,” Fleck said. I thought [linebacker] Thomas Rush had a tremendous spring.

Hmmm. (Ducks thrown shoes)

We have to appreciate the beauty of coach-speak. If we win with the second youngest team in America PJ is a saint and if we lose well...second youngest team in America. Personally I don’t really care if our cadre or walk ons make us a young team I’m more interested in the two deeps, quality of our kickers, talent but YMMV and probably does.

Hmmm. (Ducks thrown shoes)

We have to appreciate the beauty of coach-speak. If we win with the second youngest team in America PJ is a saint and if we lose well...second youngest team in America. Personally I don’t really care if our cadre or walk ons make us a young team I’m more interested in the two deeps, quality of our kickers, talent but YMMV and probably does.

Where does tremendous rank in comparison to ELITE?

So, when people raise questions or poke fun at the Coach for the things he says, there's no point in being upset. He said what he said, and he chose to say it.

It doesn’t matter what the Coach says. Yet we have you and a few others questioning all things Fleck no matter how meaningless. So take your on advice, “there’s no point in being upset”.

It doesn’t matter what the Coach says. Yet we have you and a few others questioning all things Fleck no matter how meaningless. So take your on advice, “there’s no point in being upset”.

In regards to the media, I view Fleck like I view most current politicians. I don't care what they say (I don't even listen to what they say), I just care what they do.

In that respect, I think the program is in fantastic shape and I'm more optimistic about where it is going than I have been in a very, very long time.

In regards to the media, I view Fleck like I view most current politicians. I don't care what they say (I don't even listen to what they say), I just care what they do.

In that respect, I think the program is in fantastic shape and I'm more optimistic about where it is going than I have been in a very, very long time.

I think we’re in agreement. And, like in politics if you question some small thing/fibs out loud the true believers will go off the deep end and imagine we are an agent of the opposition, hate the coach, hate the team, hate the present situation. It’s more about changing one’s best and making one more defensible and easy to get behind.

This is spot on. Results are what counts. I read what the politicians say as a result of the last session and they are so far off base if you follow the process. I believe Fleck has the boat going in the right direction. The players culture has changed, unfortunately the fan base hasn't. Although once a troll always a troll, like a cheater is always a cheater.

This is spot on. Results are what counts. I read what the politicians say as a result of the last session and they are so far off base if you follow the process. I believe Fleck has the boat going in the right direction. The players culture has changed, unfortunately the fan base hasn't. Although once a troll always a troll, like a cheater is always a cheater.

What a BS post. He's under .500 and has a .280 winning % in the B1G. He needs a big season in 2019. Things are in place for that to happen. If it doesn't and he has another mediocre result, recruiting will tick down, and attendance will drop yet again.

Top Bottom