ESPN: Jalen Myrick in inaugural 40 Yards of Gold, a tournament-style speed contest

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The title of fastest player in the NFL will be on the line as part of a new competition slated for next month.

New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara and receiver Ted Ginn Jr. are among a host of NFL players slated to compete in the inaugural 40 Yards of Gold, a tournament-style speed contest set for June 29. The event is not affiliated with the NFL.

Twelve offensive players and 12 defensive players will compete head-to-head; the winner of each division will face off in the final, with the title of fastest player at stake. Twenty-two players have been announced for the event, with two "mystery participants" also involved. The field includes:

Offense: Ginn, Kamara, Jeff Badet, Corey Coleman, Robby Anderson, Richie James, Damiere Byrd, Mark Ingram, Kevin Snead, Christian Blake, Jacoby Ford, mystery participant

Defense: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Trae Waynes, John Franklin III, Kevin Byard, Quinton Dunbar, Rashard Robinson, Terrell Sinkfield, Jerome Baker, Jalen Myrick, Budda Baker, Donte Jackson, Charles James II, mystery participant.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26815593/ginn-nflers-race-40-yards-gold

Go Gophers!!

4 out of 22 participants from the B1G + N. Illinois and N. Iowa. I think we can make a case for northern schools closing the gap when it comes to athleticism.

Darrell Green and Randy Moss are the mystery contestants! Lol

Darrell Green and Randy Moss are the mystery contestants! Lol

I honestly thought of Randy when I saw they mystery participants. He allegedly could still fly as of a couple years ago when he was working with Antonio Brown and a couple other big timers. Story got around that he beat them in a race, but Moss clarified that while he did win a race, it was after those guys had worked out and he was fresh.

I would think guys like Myrick and Sinkfield (I think he's a Minnesota native) have a nice edge over the established NFL guys in this competition. A Waynes or Kamara has to be under a lot of pressure to not pull a hamstring in something like this. In contrast, the guys who currently are not on a roster can train specifically for this and hopefully get a little buzz from it (even though the NFL knows they are fast already).

Terrell Sinkfield went to Hopkins HS and Northern Iowa. He ran a ridiculous 40 at the Gophers pro day several years ago and had some hype heading into the draft but wasn't able to latch on anywhere. I don't think he's on an NFL roster, and a Google search shows he most recently played WR in the CFL and AAF. I'm not sure how this tournament thing works, but whatever...cool pub for him and for Myrick, and I wish them luck.

Terrell Sinkfield went to Hopkins HS and Northern Iowa. He ran a ridiculous 40 at the Gophers pro day several years ago and had some hype heading into the draft but wasn't able to latch on anywhere. I don't think he's on an NFL roster, and a Google search shows he most recently played WR in the CFL and AAF. I'm not sure how this tournament thing works, but whatever...cool pub for him and for Myrick, and I wish them luck.

It's almost like 40 time is a poor indicator of NFL success...

Top Bottom