Pitino: Curry would probably not be able to be cleared to play until the fall

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

-- Pitino said Tuesday that redshirt sophomore big man Eric Curry would probably not be able to be cleared to play until the fall. That was to be expected for Curry, who had surgery in March to repair ligament damage in his foot. The 6-9 Memphis native also missed the first 12 games of the 2018-19 season after his second knee surgery. “We’re not going to rush anything,” Pitino said on Curry.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-play-for-german-u20-national-team/510386072/

Go Gophers!!

Though expected news, apparently, that's not good. Too bad, EC had such a promising freshman campaign.

Exactly why we couldn't bank on him being the starter next year and why adding at least one grad transfer frontcourt player was necessary

Could use another MD redshirt and play 4 out of 6

Sucks. Feel bad for him. I'm not sure he will ever be back to where he was. I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah this one definitely hurts. Curry was absolutely FILTHY as a freshman, looked very promising. Hopefully our 2020 recruiting class can turn around all the bad luck we've been getting as of late (imagine our team with a healthy Eric Curry right now).

I think we're giving up too early on Curry. The foot and ACL injuries are not necessarily additive and I am still hopeful he will be one of our best players next year. Lot to like about Curry.

I think we're giving up too early on Curry. The foot and ACL injuries are not necessarily additive and I am still hopeful he will be one of our best players next year. Lot to like about Curry.

I agree, I thought Davonte Fitzgerald was done, he ended up having a solid final season.

Yeah this one definitely hurts. Curry was absolutely FILTHY as a freshman, looked very promising. Hopefully our 2020 recruiting class can turn around all the bad luck we've been getting as of late (imagine our team with a healthy Eric Curry right now).

I saw some promise but never saw him as filthy. Shot poorly and defended only one position. Liked his effort and awareness, really wants to compete. Keeps the ball high, sees the court well.

I saw some promise but never saw him as filthy. Shot poorly and defended only one position. Liked his effort and awareness, really wants to compete. Keeps the ball high, sees the court well.

Shot poorly yes, a lot of misses around the basket if I remember correctly. He also showed that he might be able to develop a mid range jumper that he could hit at an okay clip. Great, no, but somewhat promising for a freshman big hitting those jumpers.

Shot poorly yes, a lot of misses around the basket if I remember correctly. He also showed that he might be able to develop a mid range jumper that he could hit at an okay clip. Great, no, but somewhat promising for a freshman big hitting those jumpers.

Said i liked him but for me he was not filthy.

Agree most of this, though I think he can guard both fours and fives. Honestly with Curry I really like his IQ and his ability to pass in the post to the open man, he can help this team in alot of ways if he's healthy enough.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

He was a solid big man for a freshman, but I will say I think many had an injury free curry overrated

He was a solid big man for a freshman, but I will say I think many had an injury free curry overrated
Yeah there's a back up qb mythology to him. I do think he would've been solid

Filthy is an exaggeration, but he showed a lot of promise. I think the reason people thought so highly of him was because of how good he was at creating his shot for a freshman PF. He had smooth post moves and seemed to get a shot off at will, but he had trouble finishing. He had soft touch and his misses were so close that it just felt like bad luck, and I think a lot of people (myself included) assumed those close misses would be makes the following year, which would have given his stats a pretty big boost. Pitino also said prior to his injury that he had improved the most of anyone that offseason, so that raised expectations even more.

Filthy is an exaggeration, but he showed a lot of promise. I think the reason people thought so highly of him was because of how good he was at creating his shot for a freshman PF. He had smooth post moves and seemed to get a shot off at will, but he had trouble finishing. He had soft touch and his misses were so close that it just felt like bad luck, and I think a lot of people (myself included) assumed those close misses would be makes the following year, which would have given his stats a pretty big boost. Pitino also said prior to his injury that he had improved the most of anyone that offseason, so that raised expectations even more.

Also was known in the new jargon as a guy who makes "winning plays." That can't be coached. He made the huge play on the tap to beat Indiana at the buzzer, and hit a huge three at Purdue in overtime. Those are the things I remember when I think highly of his potential. Agreed that there is a bit of "the guy who isn't there is the one who makes the difference" mentality. Sadly, the likelihood that he sees the floor for significant minutes in the future is dwindling.

Also was known in the new jargon as a guy who makes "winning plays." That can't be coached. He made the huge play on the tap to beat Indiana at the buzzer, and hit a huge three at Purdue in overtime. Those are the things I remember when I think highly of his potential. Agreed that there is a bit of "the guy who isn't there is the one who makes the difference" mentality. Sadly, the likelihood that he sees the floor for significant minutes in the future is dwindling.
That Purdue game was filthy. He played with senior like experience that game. And Purdue was trying to key on him as he was the last big in that game. Others had fouled out.

Why does Marcus say he "would" not be cleared until the fall? Doesn't he mean "will" not be cleared until the fall?

I agree.

Good backup big. If he had to be a starter I would’ve been skeptical about consistency

Just for fun I looked up a couple of his best games against quality competition from his freshman year:

Arkansas (26-10): 26 MIN, 2-4 FG, 8-8 FT, 4 REB, 1 AST, 2 STL, 12 PTS
@Purdue (27-8): 17 MIN, 4-9 FG, 2-5 3P, 7 REB, 2 BLK, 1 TO, 10 PTS
Michigan (26-12): 35 MIN, 5-6 FG, 2-4 FT, 5 REB, 0 TO, 12 PTS
Maryland (24-9): 22 MIN, 2-5 FG, 1-2 FT, 10 REB, 3 AST, 2 BLK, 1 TO, 5 PTS
Middle Tennessee State (31-5): 21 MIN, 4-7 FG, 3-3 FT, 3 REB, 0 TO, 11 PTS

Obviously those were the highs...IMO that is pretty impressive for a freshman big man, though. Would love to see better rebounding numbers, and a better 3P% than 17% if he is going to consistently chuck them...but I am hopeful about what he could be this year.

I'd say clutch, not filthy. Whenever Lynch would get his 4th or 5th foul, Curry would come in in the last 4-6 minutes and always be in the right place at the right time. He might end up with 2 points and 4 rebounds, and a big deflection, but it seemed like more because they were all huge.

Top Bottom