Fleck, who switched jobs 2 yrs after extension, thinks society has commitment problem

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Yahoo:

Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck believes college football players decommitting from schools is the reflection of a commitment problem in society.

Fleck, a man who left Western Michigan just two seasons after signing a six-year contract extension with the school, has had three players decommit from Minnesota recently. While that may seem like a big deal to Minnesota fans, high school players changing their mind is a common occurrence and coaches realize that.

The mind-changing is why verbal commitments to schools are non-binding. Players can keep their options open and coaches can keep trying persuade those players to change their mind. Fleck realizes that. And it’s preposterous to think that Fleck and his coaching staffs at Western Michigan and Minnesota haven’t tried to change the mind of a player who is verbally committed to another school or have dangled a non-binding scholarship offer in front of a player.

Those recent decommitments lead to comments Fleck made to Minnesota fans at a coaching caravan stop Wednesday night. From the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

"I have a rule: You commit to me, you can't go see another place," Fleck said. "Not because I'm insecure. But if you want to be committed, you're going to be committed. Too many people teach young people to be committed but also one foot in and one foot out. ... You’ve got to be all in."

Or as Fleck termed it: "We have a problem in our society. We don't have a problem in our program."

Fleck signed a six-year deal with Western Michigan in 2014
Here’s where Fleck’s lack of self-awareness comes in. After an 8-4 season in 2014, he agreed to new six-year contract extension with Western Michigan that tied him to the school through the 2020 season.

But not long after Western Michigan went undefeated in the 2016 regular season, Fleck was off to Minnesota to replace the fired Tracy Claeys. While any college sports fan knows that coaching contracts are far from binding, it’s quite rich for any college football coach — much less one that left a job a third of the way into a contract extension — to talk about a commitment issue in society without first pointing the finger at himself.

Especially one like Fleck, who had six players decommit from Western Michigan and follow him to Minnesota after he was hired by the Gophers. Were the players who followed him an example of an alleged commitment problem in society or were they, in Fleck’s eyes, simply staying committed to him? After all, he did use the phrase “you commit to me” in those comments Wednesday night.

There would be a lot less irony on college sports if all players were compensated fairly for their efforts and didn’t have to get transfer waivers or sit out a year when changing schools while coaches can break their contracts with relative ease. But the only way that irony disappears is if those who are in power in college sports — hint, they’re the ones making all the money — recognized the system was broken and decided to fix it.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...ciety-has-a-commitment-problem-160918128.html

Go Gophers!!

He had a contract, it stipulated what happened if he quit.

He has a deal with the players, they know what happens if they do a thing.

I am led to believe that this story bothers fans more than it does PJ Fleck and college recruits.

Does anyone know if he spoke to the U while committed to WMU? We know that is a no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem with this article or the point the writer is making. I'm pretty sure PJ has no problem with it either.

I am led to believe that this story bothers fans more than it does PJ Fleck and college recruits.

It’s clear it bothers one particular fan. Well actually everything Fleck does seems to bother that fan.

Have to confess I tune out when coaches start saying what's this or that about society. Dude bolted after a day or two upon taking a job at NIU.

The comments on the article are a little vicious and uninformed yet we saw similar uninformed venom here re: Durkin, Meyer, accused players.

Bad press, uh oh

Looks like he was at NIU for 3 seasons to me

On February 2, 2012, he was hired as the offensive coordinator at Northern Illinois University. Coach Dave Doeren said the following about Fleck's hiring, "We spoke at length about why this is the right place for him. It was very evident to me that he bleeds NIU, and he would have tremendous pride and passion working not just for me, but for the university to help continue what we started last year, and really what he started here as a player. His recruiting abilities and passing game expertise, working alongside Coach Carey as our run game coordinator, will be a great combination for our offense."[10] Just one day later, on February 3, 2012, Fleck abruptly resigned the Northern Illinois position to accept a position as wide receivers coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL. The move reunited him with Schiano, who had recently left Rutgers for the Buccaneers head coaching job.

It’s clear it bothers one particular fan. Well actually everything Fleck does seems to bother that fan.

Doesn’t bother me in the least. I find it more amusing than bothersome.

I would think you want guys to be in your program who want to be in it. Preventing them, forcing them not to consider other possibilities doesn't seem very secure in who you think you are...how elite your program is.

PJ definitely recruits players who have committed to other schools. He tries to flip them, yet he expects his "committed" guys not to even talk to other schools?

It's not the first time he has rules/principles/culture tenets that don't apply to him.

Plus, it ain't 1960. Discipline is one thing, trying to exert your power with threats ain't cool....especially guys not even on campus yet.

I also agree, PJ will not be successful unless he does it his way. Just seems like more guys transferring and decommitting in May than in his first couple years.

On February 2, 2012, he was hired as the offensive coordinator at Northern Illinois University. Coach Dave Doeren said the following about Fleck's hiring, "We spoke at length about why this is the right place for him. It was very evident to me that he bleeds NIU, and he would have tremendous pride and passion working not just for me, but for the university to help continue what we started last year, and really what he started here as a player. His recruiting abilities and passing game expertise, working alongside Coach Carey as our run game coordinator, will be a great combination for our offense."[10] Just one day later, on February 3, 2012, Fleck abruptly resigned the Northern Illinois position to accept a position as wide receivers coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL. The move reunited him with Schiano, who had recently left Rutgers for the Buccaneers head coaching job.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/amZfgEVrf84Xm" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/mic-drop-amZfgEVrf84Xm">via GIPHY</a></p>

He was there less than he was a grade school teacher...

Fleck’s team not only beat Wisconsin, they thoroughly dominated and embarrassed them in their own stadium. Seems what he’s doing in recruiting is smart to me. He’s finding guys that really want to be there. Don’t commit unless you’re 100% committed. May not be a spot if you commit before you’re certain and then want back in. If you’re considering other schools take those visits first.

He remembered it was in DeKalb and got the marriage annulled.

What he actually meant when he said that was......

With the rules the way they are, high school athletes cannot make a binding commitment to a college until they are able to sign their LOI. Recruiting happens months or years in advance of that date. All I see Fleck saying is that when a player verbally commits, he relies on their word. If they want to change their mind and explore other options, they have a right to do that, but he makes clear that doing so severs the commitment both ways. They might still be able to come back, but Fleck feels free to move on to another player if he chooses to do so. I think that is a healthy way to view the relationship. I'd prefer that he not allude to societal ills and stick to addressing how he runs his program, but I don't have a problem with the policy itself.

The analogy to employment contracts is not apt. The contracts have provisions in them that specifically detail what happens if the coach leaves voluntarily or involuntarily because everyone knows that very few head coaches ever fulfill the terms of their entire contract. Instead, they quit, retire, get let go or renegotiate.

With the rules the way they are, high school athletes cannot make a binding commitment to a college until they are able to sign their LOI. Recruiting happens months or years in advance of that date. All I see Fleck saying is that when a player verbally commits, he relies on their word. If they want to change their mind and explore other options, they have a right to do that, but he makes clear that doing so severs the commitment both ways. They might still be able to come back, but Fleck feels free to move on to another player if he chooses to do so. I think that is a healthy way to view the relationship. I'd prefer that he not allude to societal ills and stick to addressing how he runs his program, but I don't have a problem with the policy itself.

The analogy to employment contracts is not apt. The contracts have provisions in them that specifically detail what happens if the coach leaves voluntarily or involuntarily because everyone knows that very few head coaches ever fulfill the terms of their entire contract. Instead, they quit, retire, get let go or renegotiate.

I think the gist of these posts is "Walk the talk" or "practice what you preach".

I think the gist of these posts is "Walk the talk" or "practice what you preach".

It also really demonstrates how absurd it is to have an Athletic Director, with a straight face, tout recruiting rankings in April as tangible evidence of progress and real achievement.

Once again I'm left to wonder, is there a forum someplace for people who like Gopher sports?

JTG

I would think you want guys to be in your program who want to be in it. Preventing them, forcing them not to consider other possibilities doesn't seem very secure in who you think you are...how elite your program is.

PJ definitely recruits players who have committed to other schools. He tries to flip them, yet he expects his "committed" guys not to even talk to other schools?

It's not the first time he has rules/principles/culture tenets that don't apply to him.

Plus, it ain't 1960. Discipline is one thing, trying to exert your power with threats ain't cool....especially guys not even on campus yet.

I also agree, PJ will not be successful unless he does it his way. Just seems like more guys transferring and decommitting in May than in his first couple years.

I am still failing to see what is wrong with telling a recruit not to commit unless they are 100% on board and ready to shut down their recruiting. If they are not ready to do that it doesn't mean we won't continue to recruit them or will be pulling their offer.

Fleck wants his committed players to be truly committed not just committed until they get a better offer. This is a policy that will bug fans way more then recruits because fans tend to obsess about the class ranking and number of committed players.

I like it, make a verbal actually mean something because right now they are pretty worthless in that they mean next to nothing.

I don't get this rules thing.

He's telling them just like I could tell you "Hey man don't say you're coming to the bar tonight unless you're really coming."

That's all this is....

It is analogous to coaches constantly trolling for the next better job which every single one outside of a select few is doing. PJ even curiously states he encourages this as he wants his coaches to promote their careers, whereas most employers may start searching for one’s successor sooner rather than later if they find out one is looking to move on. Can a revolving door of recruiters affect recruiting? Is it hypocritical to preach commitment when the assistants are actively looking to leave the minute they walk in? Are they telling recruits they’re staying at MN?

Again, nothing wrong with the policy and let’s face it recruiting and selling of any product is full of half truths, white lies and everyone does it but it can’t be that hard to figure out why it’s hypocritical to get on a soapbox about it, is it?

If QB A is "committed", but looking around at other schools, and you have QB B that wants to commit to you right now, stop looking around, totally shut everything down, etc., should you accept the commitment from QB B and tell QB A he no longer has a scholarship offer? Assuming the talent level is similar, most people would say yes. QB A has a greater chance of decommitting, I'd rather have the guy that is 100% on board. But then if you do that, it looks bad because we (the public) see it as just pulling the offer from someone that is already "committed".

If someone is looking around, then to me, by definition, they aren't really committed.

It is analogous to coaches constantly trolling for the next better job which every single one outside of a select few is doing. PJ even curiously states he encourages this as he wants his coaches to promote their careers, whereas most employers may start searching for one’s successor sooner rather than later if they find out one is looking to move on. Can a revolving door of recruiters affect recruiting? Is it hypocritical to preach commitment when the assistants are actively looking to leave the minute they walk in? Are they telling recruits they’re staying at MN?

Again, nothing wrong with the policy and let’s face it recruiting and selling of any product is full of half truths, white lies and everyone does it but it can’t be that hard to figure out why it’s hypocritical to get on a soapbox about it, is it?

A better comparison would be that if Fleck had told Coyle he was leaving Western Michigan to become the next coach, but then he continued to do interviews with other programs.

Top Bottom