Fleck: Williamson Will Be Back Strong

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Koeing:

During Tuesday's Minnesota Gophers Coaches Caravan stop at Torey's Restaurant, football coach PJ Fleck gave an update on the recovery of Owatonna's Jason Williamson. The OHS senior early enrolled at the university in order to be part of spring football. Unfortunately, he suffered a torn ACL in a non-contact situation during practice.

Fleck said, "Jason Williamson's been a great addition to our football program. Obviously, going through an injury in the spring I think was devastating for him and his family. But he's going to play football again...He's going to recover. He's going to come back better than ever."

"If there's one time to possibly be hurt as a tailback, it might be this year...because we do have a lot of depth there and he probably would have been on special teams...He was going to play but probably more of a special teams role."

"Now maybe it's a blessing in disguise. He red-shirts, understands the offense, masters the offense, has a whole year to take it all it and then next year come back as a red-shirt freshman. And now Rodney (Smith)'s gone Shannon (Brooks)'s gone. And now you have a little bit better chance to probably play."

Regarding Williamson's recovery from the injury, Fleck said, "Progression is going really good...You have to attack the rehab process just like you are going to attack a game. He does that."

Williamson helped lead the Huskies to back-to-back state championships while becoming Owatonna's all-time leading rusher and the second leading ground gainer in the history of prep football in the state.

https://krforadio.com/fleck-williamson-will-be-back-strong/

Go Gophers!!

I'm rooting for him. He was fun to watch during the open practices. What I really liked though was his older teammates helping and giving him tips through the process. That says much about the culture at the U.

Heartbreaking injury to have like that. Hopefully it turns out well for him.

Thirty-forty years ago, this injury would have been almost career ending. Medical technology has come a long ways.

Fleck may be right that this is the perfect time if he was to have an injury like this.

I'm rooting for him. He was fun to watch during the open practices. What I really liked though was his older teammates helping and giving him tips through the process. That says much about the culture at the U.

Yeah, he stood out. I'm not sure what position he'll play, but he did stand out as an athlete.

I hated to see his injury because he was just one of those guys that I had a hunch would not only be a great player, but even surprise people and remain at RB. This is a setback, no doubt. But as was said, if he had to have this injury, this was the year to have it. Even if my hunch is incorrect, he will still be a great player at a different position. Just seems to be one of those guys that was born to play football.

Thirty-forty years ago, this injury would have been almost career ending. Medical technology has come a long ways.

Fleck may be right that this is the perfect time if he was to have an injury like this.

So, I have to ask, why 34 years? Why not 35 or 30?

Top Bottom