Fleck's rule: 'You commit to me, you can't go see another place'

Double-Digits in 2017 alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm. Question for you:
Are both of these "pulling scholarships?"

"Hey Timmy, I know you committed to the previous staff. We will honor your commitment, however, we would like to be honest and tell you that you were recruited for a position and a system that we aren't running. So it would be best for you to find a better fit. We are not pulling your scholarship, just being honest"

"Hey Johnny, we don't want you, you no longer have a scholly offer."

I agree, but then he's not honoring "his code" with those who are committed elsewhere.
But then all coaches do that.

I don't think he ever said anything about other teams recruiting committed players. A player can just ignore it. But if they're listening, going on visits to other schools, etc, then they probably shouldn't be committed to any school. That's appears to be his point.

Just thought of a good analogy for all this and if someone else came up with it early I apologize because I have not read the entire thread.

You ask your girlfriend to marry you and she says yes.

Your Fiancée then informs you that although she still wants to marry you she is going to go out with some other guys and keep on seeing other people.

Do you stay engaged and hope she stays committed to you or do you end the engagement until she figures out what she wants?

Just thought of a good analogy for all this and if someone else came up with it early I apologize because I have not read the entire thread.

You ask your girlfriend to marry you and she says yes.

Your Fiancée then informs you that although she still wants to marry you she is going to go out with some other guys and keep on seeing other people.

Do you stay engaged and hope she stays committed to you or do you end the engagement until she figures out what she wants?

Not really a good analogy unless you would add that you continue to look and actively go out with other girls while your engaged, because PJ is still actively recruiting others that could play the same position.

Not really a good analogy unless you would add that you continue to look and actively go out with other girls while your engaged, because PJ is still actively recruiting others that could play the same position.

You still have 24 other spots to fill in a typical class so of course the team is still out recruiting other players. The only way your scenario blows up mine is if you pull the offer from a player that is committed because you find a better option and I don't believe Fleck would do that.

I fully believe that if a player is 100% committed to us, Fleck will be 100% committed to them having that spot in the recruiting class.

You still have 24 other spots to fill in a typical class so of course the team is still out recruiting other players. The only way your scenario blows up mine is if you pull the offer from a player that is committed because you find a better option and I don't believe Fleck would do that.

I fully believe that if a player is 100% committed to us, Fleck will be 100% committed to them having that spot in the recruiting class.

No disagreement there. PJ will keep that spot for the committed player.
Where your analogy doesn't really fit though is PJ throws out offers left and right to numerous players at the same position and takes the one who will commit first.
Along with that he really puts pressure on them to make that commitment, sometimes before they are ready. Thus the de-commits that have been happening.
I don't believe when asking someone to marry you, you would propose to multiple woman at the same time and then see which one will take the offer first. :p
Having said that, most all coaches operate the same way.

Take verbals with a grain a salt. Some kids obviously hold true to theirs more than others, but we have no idea which commitments mean anything and which ones will change over time.
Just wait for signing day.

I'm assuming he meant players that Fleck recruited.

Does it matter? If honoring commitments is a value PJ wants to hold and teach his players, then he shouldn’t choose when he does or doesn’t need to practice it.

Hmmm. Question for you:

"Hey Timmy, I know you committed to the previous staff. We will honor your commitment, however, we would like to be honest and tell you that you were recruited for a position and a system that we aren't running. So it would be best for you to find a better fit. We are not pulling your scholarship, just being honest"

Scenario 1 wouldn’t be. However, I highly doubt that is what happened. He turned over the roster in one evening - leaving the MN recruits alone. He selectively chose where to honor the U’s past commitments and where not to.

I don’t have an issue with the approach. Most would have done the same. It is, however, yet one more example of how most of what PJ says is pure gibberish. And yet some on here still wonder why he gets compared to a used car salesman at times.

Same rule 90% of college football coaches have. Pretty simple: If you're not committed, then don't commit.

Anyone who questions PJ's style is talking out of their ass.

There are plenty of things to dislike about the guy, but his fashion sense isn't one of them.

lol, and what style is that?

he wears a windsor knot and a cutaway collar. you don't see that look anywhere other than espn and on espn fanboys.

The problem is you have a high pressure salesman as coach. So he gets kids to commit earlier than they plan to. And then they want to look around. Seems like that story is going to be repeated every single year.

Was going to post my own thoughts, but found them on page one. Well said.

Hmmm. Question for you:

Yeah, it’s almost like there are different variations and ways it plays out with each player.

Does it matter? If honoring commitments is a value PJ wants to hold and teach his players, then he shouldn’t choose when he does or doesn’t need to practice it.

How does it not matter? As much as we want to think that players commit to the school, many times it’s more the coach/philosophy. In that instance, they didn’t commit to him.

How does it not matter? As much as we want to think that players commit to the school, many times it’s more the coach/philosophy. In that instance, they didn’t commit to him.

Is there a disconnect if they are committing to the coach(es) and they have one step out the door? Are the coaches committed to the players?

So is honoring commitments important or not? The U committed to the kids - it seems strange to hold it as a value and then choose that it doesn’t apply in this case. It’s only important to follow a value when you want to follow it? That isn’t really a value then.

Top Bottom