Fleck's rule: 'You commit to me, you can't go see another place'

I’m not even sure what this means. Or how it’s a story. What would be a story is a coach that accepted verbal commitments and then had no problem with a player continuing to take visits. Do any of those coaches exist?

PJ doesn’t even follow what the article is stating. Nolan Edmonds committed, decommitted and looked around, and then was welcomed back. I’d imagine there are a few more examples like this.

"But Fleck said if commits come to him and say they're interested in visiting other schools, he tells them that's fine, but they have to decommit first. That doesn't necessarily mean they can't recommit again if the scholarship is still there in a few months or whatnot." And then the article goes on about some other stuff, including a video about hair loss that was really hard to hear.

I don't think 18 years of age is too young to understand the value of your word. Without your word being your bond, you really have nothing. I'm pleased this is PJ's policy, but I think its also the policy of most successful head coaches.

I’m not even sure what this means. Or how it’s a story. What would be a story is a coach that accepted verbal commitments and then had no problem with a player continuing to take visits. Do any of those coaches exist?

PJ doesn’t even follow what the article is stating. Nolan Edmonds committed, decommitted and looked around, and then was welcomed back. I’d imagine there are a few more examples like this.

You cant be serious. Yes most coaches know they have no control over kids exploring their options. Fleck is driving recruits away and keeping some from committing all together by employing an outdated stupid rule that has proven to be a failure. I realize the koolaid is flowing around here but how can you support such a flawed outdated philosophy. You just had 3 recruits decommit due to it and they arent coming back now for sure because he forced it on them.

This is a blue print for keeping blue chip players away. Other coaches will totally use it against him. On top of his odd reputation in the coaching community, this only makes him look insecure and controlling.

It sounds good on the surface but there is a small risk of hypocrisy if the staff is still recruiting option B,C,D at the same position. Obviously the latter is the smart thing to do but one cannot do that and then tell a recruit to avoid looking for a plan B in the event of staff turnover, firings, or the staff finds a better player.

PJ let go of all of the out of state recruits after his hiring, no?

You cant be serious. Yes most coaches know they have no control over kids exploring their options. Fleck is driving recruits away and keeping some from committing all together by employing an outdated stupid rule that has proven to be a failure. I realize the koolaid is flowing around here but how can you support such a flawed outdated philosophy. You just had 3 recruits decommit due to it and they arent coming back now for sure because he forced it on them.

This is a blue print for keeping blue chip players away. Other coaches will totally use it against him. On top of his odd reputation in the coaching community, this only makes him look insecure and controlling.

evidence that it's outdated?

You're really trying too hard.

1. You have no idea if "Fleck is driving recruits away."
2. You have no idea if he is "keeping some from committing all together [sic]."
3. You have no evidence that the policy "has proven to be a failure."
4. You have no idea if the three recruits decommitted because of that policy, or if it was because of one of a hundred other reasons.
5. As stated before, claiming that "they aren't coming back now for sure" is not only a ridiculous blanket statement, it likely was already disproven last year.

I don't doubt that other coaches would use this against Minnesota, much like they use it against Kirk Ferentz and Iowa, most notably. This hasn't stopped Iowa from putting a disproportionate number of players into the NFL. I don't think Fleck cares. In fact, he even advertises this policy himself. Why would you act like it's a huge scandal/secret that he's trying to keep quiet? He's doing just the opposite.

Anyway, continue on with making declarative statements that make you look foolish. Good luck on October 12th.

It sounds good on the surface but there is a small risk of hypocrisy if the staff is still recruiting option B,C,D at the same position. Obviously the latter is the smart thing to do but one cannot do that and then tell a recruit to avoid looking for a plan B in the event of staff turnover, firings, or the staff finds a better player.

PJ let go of all of the out of state recruits after his hiring, no?

Those guys didn't commit to PJ though. :p

I agree with you, if PJ continues to recruit players at the same position of an already committed player, then he's talking out of both sides of his mouth. Granted with around 25 recruits per year, there will be some positions that have multiples players (get recruited and sign), buy if a they expect a kid to stop looking once he commits, then the kid should expect the same thing.

It doesn't say it on the job posting for college football coaches, but aren't those two things that pretty much all college coaches are?

So Scott Frost allows recruits to commit and then doesn’t care if they visit other schools?

My question is why do people even consider taking PJ at his word by this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Fleck will commit to stay until the end of his contract even if a better job is offered to him then I have no problem with this.

Hopefully he doesn’t take a pay cut to go elsewhere. :cool:

Yeah, I like Fleck but I agree that this kind of policy seems hypocritical of coaches today. I totally agree with the philosophy, the problem is that the coaches don’t live by it themselves.

Hopefully he doesn’t take another pay cut to go elsewhere. :cool:

Yeah, I like Fleck but I agree that this kind of policy seems hypocritical of coaches today. I totally agree with the philosophy, the problem is that the coaches don’t live by it themselves.

FIFY...:clap:

How has it proven to be a failure? Seems like it's working pretty well compared to past gopher class rankings.

Commitment phobia? Well, stay tuned. There will be plenty of that.

Teams have more to worry about than losing early commitments now. This transfer portal will be interesting to watch in the coming years. A highly developed or star player from a middling team may get enticed to move on to top P5 teams who want to fill a spot with an already established player.

Conversely, if you are a four star player who is third string or a non-starter you may look at opportunities to develop and get playing time elsewhere. The success of players who transferred from the Bamas and NDs of this world to a program like the Gophers will be watched carefully. If more of them ended up getting drafted, the Gophers may develop a reputation (as I have previously stated in another thread) of developing and catapulting players into the NFL.

So, for PJ Fleck it works both ways. He is taking a stance on commitment from players, and he is showing he is committed to them.

The final accounting will be in win and loses. If the Gophers start winning seven or more games a season and putting multiple players in the NFL, they'll get more attention.

I am not a bit worried.

Last edited:

Hopefully he doesn’t take a pay cut to go elsewhere. :cool:

I think this is a little bit apples and oranges but can see why some people make the comparison. That said, I dont follow recruiting as closely as many on here but has Fleck ever pulled a scholarship from a kid who has committed? I just dont happen to know. If so, then hes wrong to make the statement he did. I believe, in the Big Ten, the scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years (I may be wrong on that), so if I kid commits, and Fleck always honors that, the kid is guaranteed a 4 year ride if he chooses to stay. I'd say that is living up to the U's commitment to the kid. So, in essence, a one-way street. Also, Fleck is certainly not the only coach with this policy. He just gets blasted for stating it and being Fleck.

On the coach side, if a coach couldn't get fired before his contract ran out, I would say he is obligated to stay until that point. But, that doesn't work for a variety of reasons, therefore, it's almost inevitable that coaches move in the middle of contracts. Really no other way.

My solution to the whole thing is, if a coach leaves on his own accord, players he recruited may transfer also with no repercussions. If you haven't guessed, I support Fleck's policy, for good and bad. If you're wishy washy, people will take advantage. Bed time. Good night.

I agree with the philosophy that a commit shouldn't be able to take visits elsewhere in theory. The problem is PJ (and probably others around the country who take a similar stance) are not consistent with it. Keonte Schad was allowed to take other visits as a commitment, I don't believe the Gophers pulled the offer this year of the LB who de-committed but visited Arkansas and Texas before doing so either. On the flip side, PJ did pull the offer from the kicker who tried to visit Oregon behind his back last year and a DB who visited Iowa during his first season. If you don't hold everyone to the same standard you end up with issues. On the flip side, if you give all the power to the recruit (it's ok we'll wait for you if you want to visit schools X,Y, and Z even if it's October or November and we've turned down several other kids at your position who've now committed elsewhere because you had that spot) then how do you really coach that kid when they do get to campus?

I think it's tough to know what the most effective policy is as there seems to be clear drawbacks to however you approach it.

I dont follow recruiting as closely as many on here but has Fleck ever pulled a scholarship from a kid who has committed?

Double-Digits in 2017 alone.

I'm guessing that Fleck would want no part to do with this ASU commit.

The bottom of his tweet is not showing, you'll have to click on it, it lists his final 4.

Last edited:

So basically the policy that the majority of coaches employ? Groundbreaking story here

So PJ pressures kids, does nothing but lies, is a terrible dresser, is a hypocrite...did I forget anything else from this thread? Some people wouldn’t know a good thing if it smacked them upside the head. PJ is a good thing! So he holds kids accountable from day one. What is wrong with that? It sets the tone for what will be expected for a kids entire career here and only makes the culture stronger. It’s only May but games can’t come fast enough.

Last edited:

Anyone who questions PJ's style is talking out of their ass.

There are plenty of things to dislike about the guy, but his fashion sense isn't one of them.

Just assume than anyone complaining has got this look going on...
dadjeansshoes.jpg

When a player verbally commits to another program does PJ stop recruiting that players?

Last edited:

I am going to trust PJ's recruiting tactics until proven he's failing at it.

I think people need to just stop looking at and thinking about "verbal" commitments. Nothing is final until the school receives a signed LOI.

I'm old enough to remember the days when - outside of a few local kids - nobody really followed recruiting, and you literally didn't know who the recruits were until they signed LOI's. And - I think I liked that better. There was something fun about seeing some kid in the first game of the season, not knowing anything about them, and seeing them turn into a player. "hey, who's that?" "where'd he come from?"

Sometimes, I think we have too much information about these recruits, and we expect too much from them as a result.

And, all this back-and-forth on recruits committing and de-committing takes some of the fun out of the game for me. It makes it seem like too much of a business.

damn, it's just no fun getting old.

Top Bottom