Michigan Hires Juwan Howard as Next Head Basketball Coach

WindyCityGopher

Reaction score
I think this will either be spectacularly successful or spectacularly awful for Michigan. Nothing in the middle.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think there is a good chance for spectacularly average based on Michigan measures.

I think this will either be spectacularly successful or spectacularly awful for Michigan. Nothing in the middle.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can he pull recruits like Penny? Much more difficult to get into Michigan and Penny also loaded his staff with Mitchell and Miller. Shall be interesting. I still can't believe Beilein went to the Cavs.

I like Howard. I think he’ll do just fine. Maybe he can convince Jalen Rose to leave ESPN and be an assistant, pull in Webber too. The fab five gave college basketball swag.

I like Howard. I think he’ll do just fine. Maybe he can convince Jalen Rose to leave ESPN and be an assistant, pull in Webber too. The fab five gave college basketball swag.

Webber in charge of keeping track of TO's?

I think average could take hold, which would actually be worst case scenario in Ann Arbor. I suppose it will depend on the staff he hires-this isn't Penny with the AAU background/connections, this is an NBA assistant who left Michigan 25 years ago. He also doesn't have the base like Memphis to recruit from, and he's got a behemoth in the same state to recruit against, with OSU perhaps coming out it's recent slumber. Maybe he'll have some inroads with the Chicago prep scene, which is notoriously shady (and is the territory often tread by the likes of Bill Self and John Calipari).

So. . .what if he's average and middling? Does a former legend get pushed out, to the certain media excoriation from the likes of Rose and Webber? Do they ride it out while the rest of the Big Ten, especially in Michigan's backyard, move past them? I don't think he's a Mullin or Drexler hire, but I'm skeptical about it being a slam dunk hire.

Michigan May bring in Sir Charles Barkley as AD. Stay tuned.

Probably a paycut since the last time he was at Michigan.

Howard made a great move by hiring Phil Martelli as a assistant today.

Howard made a great move by hiring Phil Martelli as a assistant today.

Agreed. He seems like a good dude and obviously knows basketball but he's going to need some guys who know NCAA basketball from an administrator's perspective.

Top Bottom