Gophers receive commitment from Michigan Grad Transfer Ben St-Juste

How does a grad transfer have 3-years of eligibility? Dude will need to slow his academic pace down or he will run out of school eligibility before football eligibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does a grad transfer have 3-years of eligibility? Dude will need to slow his academic pace down or he will run out of school eligibility before football eligibility.

Graduated in 2 years at Michigan somehow and was granted an extra year by NCAA. Grad transfer allows immediate eligibility with 3 years to play.

<b>Graduated in 2 years at Michigan somehow </b>and was granted an extra year by NCAA. Grad transfer allows immediate eligibility with 3 years to play.

Wow. Smart dude. Welcome Aboard!

Graduated in 2 years at Michigan somehow and was granted an extra year by NCAA. Grad transfer allows immediate eligibility with 3 years to play.

He was early enrollee so 2.5 years to graduate.

Benjamin St-Juste
CLASS Sophomore
POSITION DB
HEIGHT 6-3
WEIGHT 196
HOMETOWN Rosemere, Quebec
Honors and Rankings
• ESPN three-star prospect, rated the No. 2 player in Canada and the No. 84 cornerback in the country
• 247.com four-star prospect, ranked the No. 38 cornerback and No. 1 player in Quebec
• Scout three-star prospect and rated as the No. 39 cornerback nationally
• PrepStar four-star recruit and ranked No. 338 overall prospect nationally
• PrepStar Top 350 All-American selection
• Quebec Student Sports Federation Division I All-Star as a cornerback
• Ranked the No. 7 player in Canada by CanadaFootballChat.com
• Attended the 2016 The Opening in Beaverton, Oregon
• Recognized as a Division I (highest division) All-Star at cornerback by CanadaFootballChat.com

Personal
• Benjamin St. Juste was born Sept. 8, 1997
• Enrolled in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts

Coach Michael Zordich on Ben St-Juste
"Ben is a kid we are excited to have. He's a big kid who can go up there and get the ball, and he can be aggressive playing press-man coverage. He has good feet for a guy his size, and he can turn and run with receivers.

"Ben is a great kid from a good family, and I am looking forward to working with him, as is the rest of our staff. He is extremely long, very talented, has great hips, great movement, and we are excited to have him at Michigan."

In the Words of the St-Juste Family
"If we had to choose one word to describe Benjamin St-Juste, it would be determination. When we summarize what he did for the past two years, only this word comes to our mind.

"Benjamin started playing football at the age of nine years old. He played for the elite teams in Québec, and he was talented and passionate about football. All those years his father kept telling him 'Even if you are talented, you have to train and work harder if you want to go further in football.' One day he realized what his father kept telling him was true.

"In the summer of 2014, Benjamin was selected to do training camp of the National Quebec Team. Unfortunately, he did not make the final cut of the roster. That moment was very heartbreaking for Benjamin because all his friends and teammates did make the cut. After that happened, Benjamin changed his approach to obtain his goal, and he didn't let that obstacle get in the way of his dream of playing in the National Football League.

"I used to tell him to do football camp in the USA, so that he could get a chance to evaluate himself against better competition and maybe earn a full scholarship. He won the MVP of his first camp in New York, Albany, and he also met an excellent coach who told him to keep attending football camps because he had something special that nobody could teach him. That motivated Benjamin to attend the Michigan Wolverines summer football camp in June 2015 where he received his first full scholarship from Jim Harbaugh. The unknown, French-Canadian kid was rewarded for all his hard work.

"But this was not the end of his achievement; he felt that people still doubted him because he was from Montreal, Canada.

"Two years earlier, he was at home watching videos of Nike's The Opening camp and told himself 'I want to do this camp.' Well, he eventually received the invitation for Nike's The Opening and Rivals' camp in New Jersey. He performed very well at these camps. He then received an invitation to the prestigious Nike Opening finals in Oregon. He gave his best performance anywhere against the top players in the United States. The unknown Canadian went from being a one star to four stars in less than a year.

Nice pick up. Any word on why he wanted out at Michigan?

Interesting prospect but sounds like a helluva hamstring issue. Roll of the dice.

The third year Wolverine suffered a hamstring injury at the end of his first year, and it ended up being costly. He missed the team’s inclusion in the Outback Bowl and subsequently sat out for the entirety of the 2018 season. He expected to return this spring, feeling healthy, but he was not cleared by team doctors.

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com...-cb-benjamin-st-juste-transfers-to-minnesota/

Perhaps not being cleared by team doctors is The Michigan Way to lighten their roster for incoming recruits. I can't envision locking up a scholarship for a player that a) Michigan can't recommend and b) the MN team doctor hasn't consulted about with his Michigan counterpart. Obviously there are nuances to this story neither fanbase seems to know about.

• ESPN three-star prospect, rated the No. 2 player in Canada and the No. 84 cornerback in the country

confused-baby.jpg

Congratulations Ben!

I hope the hamstring is fully healed. Tough break at Michigan.

It appears that he is the replacement for Clemmons. The staff seems to be determined to add a veteran corner (JUCO or transfer) to this class, which is a little surprising given all of the returning CBs we have on the roster. Williamson, Durr, Thomas and Smith seem to make a solid top 4. Makes me wonder if someone will be leaving...

Perhaps not being cleared by team doctors is The Michigan Way to lighten their roster for incoming recruits. I can't envision locking up a scholarship for a player that a) Michigan can't recommend and b) the MN team doctor hasn't consulted about with his Michigan counterpart. Obviously there are nuances to this story neither fanbase seems to know about.

Sounds like Michigan was trying to get him to take a medical waiver and retire which would free his scholarship. It doesn't seem like a hamstring injury would typically force a player into retirement.

Perhaps not being cleared by team doctors is The Michigan Way to lighten their roster for incoming recruits.

Sounds like Michigan was trying to get him to take a medical waiver and retire which would free his scholarship.

Sorry guys. I read somewhere that kind of thing never happens.

Sorry guys. I read somewhere that kind of thing never happens.

No one said it never happens.

Many said it doesn't happen to multiple players on each team every year to make the numbers work.

Case in point, when it did happen to St-Juste, we all heard about it.

Sounds like Michigan was trying to get him to take a medical waiver and retire which would free his scholarship. It doesn't seem like a hamstring injury would typically force a player into retirement.

This is unjuste.

Will turn 22 in early September...defense just got even older than it was!

If healthy a 4 star in high school, 6'3" corners don't grow on trees, nice!

per Megan:

The Gophers garnered a new commitment Tuesday evening.

Michigan graduate transfer Benjamin St-Juste is a 6-3, 196-pound cornerback from Montreal and announced his decision on Twitter. He was a four-star 2017 recruit.

His freshman year at Michigan, he played in 12 games, mainly on special teams. He missed all of last season with an injury, and with a NCAA waiver, has three years of eligibility still remaining. He's also eligible to play immediately this 2019 season since he has graduated.

http://www.startribune.com/michigan...in-st-juste-commits-to-the-gophers/510248942/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It appears that he is the replacement for Clemmons. The staff seems to be determined to add a veteran corner (JUCO or transfer) to this class, which is a little surprising given all of the returning CBs we have on the roster. Williamson, Durr, Thomas and Smith seem to make a solid top 4. Makes me wonder if someone will be leaving...

Maybe they see him as a potential safety? I can totally understand wanting to add depth whenever possible regardless of what you currently have. Kid was really highly thought of coming out of high school and was good enough to see the field as a freshman at Michigan so seems like a good gamble as long as the hamstring issues are truly behind him.

One thing about the injury is kinda weird. There is an impression that Michigan just wouldn't clear him ... but at some point for a hamstring don't you talk to the kid about the risks and say "hey let's just play and see how it goes"? We're not talking concussions here where you have to be ultra conservative, if it doesn't work out then bummer but that is better than just ending his career ... just by not clearing a guy ever for a hamstring.

Top Bottom