Big Ten 2019 strength of schedule rankings

BroncoRedux

Reaction score

The Gophers noncon is more complicated than it looks. South Dakota State should be an easy win, but a road trip to Fresno State won't be (remember, Fresno nearly won at Minnesota last season), and an option team like Georgia Southern always causes problems. Minnesota's conference schedule is broken into two parts. There's the more accessible part and the more difficult part. The easier part is the open of conference play, which sees the Gophers playing at Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, at Rutgers and Maryland over five weeks. Then, following a bye, comes the harder part: Penn State, at Iowa, at Northwestern and Wisconsin in the final month. The Gophers will need to get off to a good start if they want to go bowling in 2019.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...igan-wisconsin-facing-incredibly-tough-roads/

We want to be a good team. A B1G West title contender. That is our goal and that should be our goal.

If we're going to be a good team, we need to make some hay this year, playing this year's schedule. It is as friendly a schedule as we'll ever see.

SDSU, Fresno, and GaSo all blow.
3-0 or bust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gophers noncon is more complicated than it looks. South Dakota State should be an easy win, but a road trip to Fresno State won't be (remember, Fresno nearly won at Minnesota last season), and an option team like Georgia Southern always causes problems. Minnesota's conference schedule is broken into two parts. There's the more accessible part and the more difficult part. The easier part is the open of conference play, which sees the Gophers playing at Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, at Rutgers and Maryland over five weeks. Then, following a bye, comes the harder part: Penn State, at Iowa, at Northwestern and Wisconsin in the final month. The Gophers will need to get off to a good start if they want to go bowling in 2019.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...igan-wisconsin-facing-incredibly-tough-roads/

We were 1-3 last year against this year’s “easier part of the schedule” and it wasn’t even close in those 3 loses.

Barring playing every game in freezing driving rain, that’s more concerning to me than facing the Fresno State juggernaut or the tougher part of this year’s Big Ten slate.

We were 1-3 last year against this year’s “easier part of the schedule” and it wasn’t even close in those 3 loses.

Barring playing every game in freezing driving rain, that’s more concerning to me than facing the Fresno State juggernaut or the tougher part of this year’s Big Ten slate.

The first bolded part is ancient history. No relevance to 2019.

Regarding the second bolded part, there are going to be some bad weather days every season. Since all other teams automatically decide they don't want to be at the stadium in bad weather, and since Minnesota is the only team completely unaffected by rain or snow, we've got that magical advantage going for us.

I can’t wait until we treat beating Fresno like some big accomplishment. All the talk about how great they were last year and ignoring who they actually beat last year and all they lost off that team.

No doubt, it will be a day for the ages.

And SDSU with all their fans here.
And that difficult to prepare for GaSo offense.

This non-conference is going to be legendary.

I can’t wait until we treat beating Fresno like some big accomplishment. All the talk about how great they were last year and ignoring who they actually beat last year and all they lost off that team.

I would say SDSU is better than alot of the cream puffs our conference foes will face, but we should win comfortably. Agreed with Fresno, both teams have trended in opposite directions in talent and we beat them last year. After the bowl game last year, Georgia Southern doesn't worry me

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If you follow The Formula, you can be a Gopher football fan. The Formula is as follows:

In the run-up before the Gophers play an opponent, the opponent is always seen as very tough. Beating them would be a tall task. Don't count your chickens. Always keep your expectations low.

Afterwards, if the Gophers win, it was because of the weather. Or because we caught the opponent in a down year. Or the opponent felt slighted or disrespected. Or the opponent didn't want to be there.

The Formula: Low expectations + no over-the-top celebrations for wins = the Gopher Football Fan's Comfort Zone.

If you follow The Formula, you can be a Gopher football fan. The Formula is as follows:

In the run-up before the Gophers play an opponent, the opponent is always seen as very tough. Beating them would be a tall task. Don't count your chickens. Always keep your expectations low.

Afterwards, if the Gophers win, it was because of the weather. Or because we caught the opponent in a down year. Or the opponent felt slighted or disrespected. Or the opponent didn't want to be there.

The Formula: Low expectations + no over-the-top celebrations for wins = the Gopher Football Fan's Comfort Zone.

:clap:

The first bolded part is ancient history. No relevance to 2019.

Regarding the second bolded part, there are going to be some bad weather days every season. Since all other teams automatically decide they don't want to be at the stadium in bad weather, and since Minnesota is the only team completely unaffected by rain or snow, we've got that magical advantage going for us.

This year will be it's own year, I agree. Consistently struggling against teams playing the same offensive style maybe just goes away for you, I'll believe it when I see it.

The mental toughness the team showed against Purdue was impressive that night in the rain. If that's how we play in that weather, I'll take it every single game. One game does not a trend make, but that was perhaps the first time in the PJ Fleck era we out coached the competition and I'd love it if we had that every game. Perhaps too much to wish for for you?

This year will be it's own year, I agree. Consistently struggling against teams playing the same offensive style maybe just goes away for you, I'll believe it when I see it.

The mental toughness the team showed against Purdue was impressive that night in the rain. If that's how we play in that weather, I'll take it every single game. One game does not a trend make, but that was perhaps the first time in the PJ Fleck era we out coached the competition and I'd love it if we had that every game. Perhaps too much to wish for for you?

I'm not sure what your question means, or if it's directed at me. Are you asking if I wish we'd out coach the opposition every game?

I would say SDSU is better than alot of the cream puffs our conference foes will face, but we should win comfortably. Agreed with Fresno, both teams have trended in opposite directions in talent and we beat them last year. After the bowl game last year, Georgia Southern doesn't worry me

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gophs are in trouble if they don't run roughshod over the non-cons.

Gophs are in trouble if they don't run roughshod over the non-cons.

Maybe, maybe not. On paper probably, but it all depends on how prepared and motivated they are.

We must go 3-0 and move on from there.

Maybe, maybe not. On paper probably, but it all depends on how prepared and motivated they are.

We must go 3-0 and move on from there.

Pretty much my point. If they stumble there, which they should not, I would be concerned.

[QUOTE=BroncoRedux;1746160]13

"and an option team like Georgia Southern always causes problems Minnesota's conference schedule"

I guess I have to ask how many true Option/ Triple Option teams have the Gophers beaten in the past like GT!

Since you destroyed GT last year, why would this article even bring up a G5 option team like Georgia Southerm?

Last edited:

Y'all are way too low on Fresno.

The spread on that game is one point and if Fresno figures out a way to knock off SC in week one the the Gophers will be dogs by a touchdown.

That one point spread is factoring in a massive fall in offensive efficiency at Fresno.

If Tedford manages to coach his offense up then I would not be surprised to see a very good Gopher team sitting at 1-1.

Last edited:

HW- "If Tedford manages to coach his offense up then I would not be surprised to see a very good Gopher team sitting at 1-1. "

I'm hoping that the Gophers are 2-0 leading into the GSU game. A GSU win will move us up faster!!!!!

Hello - world, & everyone is way to low on GSU!

Last edited:

HW- "If Tedford manages to coach his offense up then I would not be surprised to see a very good Gopher team sitting at 1-1. "

I'm hoping that the Gophers are 2-0 leading into the GSU game. A GSU win will move us up faster!!!!!

Seriously, give it a break.

Will you go away after September 14th?

The spread on that game is one point and if Fresno figures out a way to knock off SC in week one the the Gophers will be dogs by a touchdown.

That one point spread is factoring in a massive fall in offensive efficiency at Fresno.

If Tedford manages to coach his offense up then I would not be surprised to see a very good Gopher team sitting at 1-1.

Where can you find action on this game in May? I'd love to get in on that.

[QUOTE=BroncoRedux;1746160]13

"and an option team like Georgia Southern always causes problems Minnesota's conference schedule"

I guess I have to ask how many true Option/ Triple Option teams have the Gophers beaten in the past like GT!

Since you destroyed GT last year, why would this article even bring up a G5 option team like Georgia Southerm?

Those are certainly words. The article is talking about the Minnesota Gophers non-conference schedule, and Georgia Southerm (sorry, Southern) is one of those teams. Why shouldn't an article on the Gophers non-conference schedule mention all the teams the Gophers will play in non-conference?

Didn't Fresno State graduate a lot of starters? Not that it will be an easy win but it's a different team than last year.

According to sbnation, Fresno State ranks 129th out of 130 teams in returning production.

Minnesota ranks 10th in the nation, which is the best in the B1G.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...9-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

Your Article from SBNATION -So what does this mean for 2019?

As with last year, I used categories like the ones above, weighted for largest effect — so returning quarterbacks, receivers, and defensive backs carry more heft — to create numbers for offense and defense. I have updated 2018’s rosters for 2019, accounting for NFL declarations and, as much as possible (since it’s impossible to keep up with all of them), transfers.

RANKED #10 - 78% of the Gophers starts returned
Ranked #19 - 75% of GSU starters return.

I guess a lot depends on the improvement the returning players made over the summer & what they truly prove to be over the course of 2019.

Don't worry about Fresno. they are a worm up game for GSU.

TALON:cool:

Your Article from SBNATION -So what does this mean for 2019?

As with last year, I used categories like the ones above, weighted for largest effect — so returning quarterbacks, receivers, and defensive backs carry more heft — to create numbers for offense and defense. I have updated 2018’s rosters for 2019, accounting for NFL declarations and, as much as possible (since it’s impossible to keep up with all of them), transfers.

RANKED #10 - 78% of the Gophers starts returned
Ranked #19 - 75% of GSU starters return.

I guess a lot depends on the improvement the returning players made over the summer & what they truly prove to be over the course of 2019.

Don't worry about Fresno. they are a worm up game for GSU.

TALON:cool:

So the"a" and "o" are on opposite sides of the keyboard...

Top Bottom