Shama: U at 858 New Football Season Tickets

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

With more than three months until the University of Minnesota’s first 2019 home football game, it’s uncertain whether the sale of public season tickets will surpass last year’s total of 21,663.

Based on a request made by Sports Headliners, the University reported 20,297 season tickets had been sold as of May 13. Included in the total are 858 new sales. Two years ago the U sold 817 new season tickets through May 1.

The Golden Gophers’ impressive 2019 late season results on the field has prompted some increased interest in the program. Playing against four quality opponents, Minnesota went 3-1 while averaging 31.5 points per game and giving up 14.75 points. Among the wins was the program’s first since 2003 over Wisconsin. U marketers have used the reclaiming of Paul Bunyan’s Axe as a centerpiece in promoting the team during the offseason.

The U also reported that 89.73 percent of last year’s season tickets have been renewed. Tickets have been available for renewal since late November of last year.

Interest in Gophers football has declined since popular and successful head coach Jerry Kill resigned during the 2015 season. The Gophers sold 27,885 public season tickets in 2015, a year when Kill resigned after seven games because of health issues. He was succeeded by defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys who was fired after the team’s surprising bowl win in December of 2016. The public season ticket totals in 2016 and 2017 were 22,785 and 22,131 respectively.

Despite a flexible selling approach by the U, there are many challenges in season ticket sales. Team performance over the years has often been disappointing and Fleck’s personality resonates with some followers but not others. Game parking and traffic near the stadium is a common consumer complaint. Those facts discourage some fans from investing a lot of money and time in the purchase of season tickets and attending games.

Then, too, potential customers, whether serious or casual followers of the program, know that in a 50,805 seat capacity TCF Bank Stadium there will be single game ticket availability. And another option is to watch all games at home on HDTV and avoid the expense and hassle of going to campus.

The Gophers also have a challenge with the weather for about half of their home season. At the Purdue game last November, temps were frigid and the actual turnstile count at TCF Bank Stadium was 14,950. Rain, snow, wind and cold are problematic for ticket sales at Minnesota’s outdoor stadium. For almost 30 years fans were weather-proofed inside the Metrodome. Now the Gophers don’t offer that comfort, while their football ticket selling rival, the Vikings, play indoors at a stadium within walking distance of the U’s West Bank.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Any long term pickup is going to take time.

After 14 we saw real interest rise and 15 had a great schedule ... but sadly 15 also was a brutal season and I think an opportunity was lost.

I think after last season (Wisc and bowl game in particular) they've laid some of the ground work for more interest, but it will take more consistency to really get results ticket wise.

Any long term pickup is going to take time.

After 14 we saw real interest rise and 15 had a great schedule ... but sadly 15 also was a brutal season and I think an opportunity was lost.

I think after last season (Wisc and bowl game in particular) they've laid some of the ground work for more interest, but it will take more consistency to really get results ticket wise.
League also got greedy to early in 15, needed to sustain that for a couple more years before rolling that plan out

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

League also got greedy to early in 15, needed to sustain that for a couple more years before rolling that plan out

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I always suspected that Mega Tounge rolled it out just to cover for his own lack of bringing in money above all else. He was brought in as supposedly a world class fundraiser, but I don't think quite lived up to that name.

I’ve gone back and forth so many times on getting season tickets.

Love the Gophers but weekends in the fall are tough.

I’m in two weddings that fall on home games. Resale market is bad. Just a tough trigger to pull.

My guess is total season tickets will be about the same. Currently, according to the figures reported, tickets are 1,366 lower than last year's total. Thus, I would guess they'll add some more between now and the season starting and be about the same.

I don't know about pizza offers, but Union Gospel Mission is doing a fundraiser with Thrivent, and if you donate nonperishable food or $35.00 this week you get two Gopher football tickets and a MyPillow.

If Coyle hadn't suspended the scholarship increases, we may have dropped season tickets by now. But, we're happily back for next week - it's going to be great!

attendance is not just a local problem. IMHO it wont be too long before the helmet schools start to have similar issues.
its still a great product whether the team is winning or losing but time and cost and attention span have pushed a lot of people away across the country
it is so easy to watch on a smart phone or tablet and still do other things

I’ve gone back and forth so many times on getting season tickets.

Love the Gophers but weekends in the fall are tough.

I’m in two weddings that fall on home games. Resale market is bad. Just a tough trigger to pull.

So you have to buy two dresses?:)

Napkin math says we are down about 2,300 season ticket holders who haven’t renewed, so unless the renew process gets cracking it’s still going to be a net loss of butts in seats.

For games that don’t sell out PAYG with apps is still superior. Cubs tickets tonight at Wrigley against the first place Phillies are way under face and cheaper than seeing either the Iowa or South Bend Cubs tonight. Just get what you need right before the game.

Every time an attendance article is written, I check it out to see if they mention the biggest reason season ticket sales have declined: Scholarship seating fees. For some reason I can't figure out, most of these articles completely fail to mention that. This one even mentions the weather! It also mentions traffic, nice TV's, team performance, declining interest, and parking. All a factor, no doubt. But, it leaves the BIGGEST reason unmentioned. Does anyone know why there is a continual writer's block in terms of the biggest reason for decline in Gopher football season tickets?

Every time an attendance article is written, I check it out to see if they mention the biggest reason season ticket sales have declined: Scholarship seating fees. For some reason I can't figure out, most of these articles completely fail to mention that. This one even mentions the weather! It also mentions traffic, nice TV's, team performance, declining interest, and parking. All a factor, no doubt. But, it leaves the BIGGEST reason unmentioned. Does anyone know why there is a continual writer's block in terms of the biggest reason for decline in Gopher football season tickets?

Probably because they don’t read GH?

Top Bottom