Former Mankato linebacker Isaac Kolstad defying the odds on the road to recovery

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox 9:

Former Minnesota State University-Mankato football player Isaac Kolstad is still defying the odds.

Kolstad is pushing himself through new therapies and enjoying greater independence after suffering a traumatic brain injury that nearly killed him.

He was severely injured in an altercation involving former Gophers starting quarterback Philip Nelson in downtown Mankato in May 2014. The violent encounter was captured on surveillance video and lasted just a few seconds, but the fallout from it continues to be felt five years later.

Kolstad is making his latest strides in a five-year medical odyssey at the Minnesota Concussion and Chiropractic Arts in St. Louis Park under the care of Dr. David Stussy.

Kolstad, now 29, was a former linebacker at MSU-Mankato until the alcohol-fueled fight during graduation weekend in 2014.

In the surveillance video, you can see Kolstad decking the former Gophers Quarterback when a third man, Trevor Shelley, jumps into the fray with a vicious punch that appeared to knock Kolstad out cold.

He fell back and slammed into the pavement with nothing to break his fall when Nelson kicked him in the head.

The once celebrated quarterback and hometown hero pled guilty to lesser charges while Shelley was sentenced to 150 days in jail as one expert believed Shelley inflicted the greatest damage.

“Whatever it was, 3 seconds, 8 seconds, multiple lives were changed in an instant,” said Judge Bradley Walker of the sentencing.

Kolstad was just lucky to survive his traumatic brain injury, given only a 3 percent chance of ever waking up.

“Hearing like, they’re going to pull the plug, the doctors in Rochester said, ‘Why are you trying this? You’re wasting your time,” Kolstad recalled.

Per doctor’s orders, Kolstad is now able to live alone. Sadly, his relationship with his wife Molly didn’t survive the struggles of his daunting recovery and they divorced.

“We’re all different,” he said. “Everybody close to me from my injury. So we’re getting back to normal. Normal Life. Enjoying life again.”

http://www.fox9.com/news/former-man...stad-defying-the-odds-on-the-road-to-recovery

Go Gophers!!

per Fox 9:

Former Minnesota State University-Mankato football player Isaac Kolstad is still defying the odds.

Kolstad is pushing himself through new therapies and enjoying greater independence after suffering a traumatic brain injury that nearly killed him.

He was severely injured in an altercation involving former Gophers starting quarterback Philip Nelson in downtown Mankato in May 2014. The violent encounter was captured on surveillance video and lasted just a few seconds, but the fallout from it continues to be felt five years later.

Kolstad is making his latest strides in a five-year medical odyssey at the Minnesota Concussion and Chiropractic Arts in St. Louis Park under the care of Dr. David Stussy.

Kolstad, now 29, was a former linebacker at MSU-Mankato until the alcohol-fueled fight during graduation weekend in 2014.

In the surveillance video, you can see Kolstad decking the former Gophers Quarterback when a third man, Trevor Shelley, jumps into the fray with a vicious punch that appeared to knock Kolstad out cold.

He fell back and slammed into the pavement with nothing to break his fall when Nelson kicked him in the head.

The once celebrated quarterback and hometown hero pled guilty to lesser charges while Shelley was sentenced to 150 days in jail as one expert believed Shelley inflicted the greatest damage.

“Whatever it was, 3 seconds, 8 seconds, multiple lives were changed in an instant,” said Judge Bradley Walker of the sentencing.

Kolstad was just lucky to survive his traumatic brain injury, given only a 3 percent chance of ever waking up.

“Hearing like, they’re going to pull the plug, the doctors in Rochester said, ‘Why are you trying this? You’re wasting your time,” Kolstad recalled.

Per doctor’s orders, Kolstad is now able to live alone. Sadly, his relationship with his wife Molly didn’t survive the struggles of his daunting recovery and they divorced.

“We’re all different,” he said. “Everybody close to me from my injury. So we’re getting back to normal. Normal Life. Enjoying life again.”

http://www.fox9.com/news/former-man...stad-defying-the-odds-on-the-road-to-recovery

Go Gophers!!

Two things. One: That sentence regarding Nelson seems inaccurate.

Two: I wonder if it wasn't a medical necessity(Medical bankruptcy)?

Ah, alcohol-induced bravado. Men, please preach to your sons that there is nothing wrong with just walking away. And when you’re done preaching to them, preach to them some more.

Ah, alcohol-induced bravado. Men, please preach to your sons that there is nothing wrong with just walking away. And when you’re done preaching to them, preach to them some more.

Good words my friend.!

That's kinda a tough line to put in there about his wife, not sure that is fair. Hard to know what goes on in a marriage.

But that guy over there said something ....

That's kinda a tough line to put in there about his wife, not sure that is fair. Hard to know what goes on in a marriage.

The statement about his marriage is the one that hit me the most. Hoping they are friends and can move on in a good way. Hard to say what was going on in the marriage that caused the divorce. Hopefully we'll never know and just allow him to live his life accordingly.

Yep! I was taught that a good run beats a bad stand any day.

Best wishes to Isaac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom