STrib: Former Gopher Ryan Saunders gets Timberwolves coaching job

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Wolves President of Basketball Operations Gersson Rosas has made one of his most pressing decisions in his new job – and he is keeping Ryan Saunders as head coach.

A source confirmed to the Star Tribune that Rosas and Saunders are finalizing a deal for Saunders to become the Wolves’ coach going forward.

Saunders became the interim head coach after owner Glen Taylor fired former coach and President Tom Thibodeau on Jan. 6. Under Saunders, the Wolves went 17-25 and missed the playoffs, but Saunders has strong relationships with players like Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins along with Taylor, who also owns the Star Tribune.

It was expected Saunders, 33, would become the head coach on a permanent basis, but that decision was up to Rosas. He interviewed several outside candidates for the job.

http://www.startribune.com/ryan-sau...es-head-coaching-job-nba-confirmed/510158302/

Go Gophers!!

Be interesting to find out if Rosas really did interview any other candidates with an open mind or if that was simply for show. There's a really good chance nothing has changed with one of the worst run pro teams over the years. Supposedly, several guys with solid credentials from playoff teams had been mentioned. Feel good story, but Ryan didn't impress even taking into account the injuries.

Last edited:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The NBA is a players league, that's true of any coach. People were even turning on Pop over Kawaii. I think the biggest key for Ryan's success is finding a good staff. It'd be really nice if he could find an assistant with HC experience and someone to run or be focused on the defense. Joeger would be a dream as he could truly do both. JB would've been nice too, but he's taken. Bzdelik would be worth a look too as a "DC". I think it was helpful and did well in Houston. Ryan will flourish in the player relations side of things. Guys will have his back and he's a great communicator. I also think he does a good job analytically and will be fun to see his stamp on our offense as he gets a whole summer to make his changes. I'm not saying Wiggins will ever earn his max salary, but he will do better with Ryan. Also guys who like Tyus who deserved more minutes from an efficiency standpoint should good more too.

in one sense, this is the easy way out for Rosas. He gives the owners' preferred choice the job. Now, it's all on Saunders. If he doesn't cut it, then Rosas can fire him and bring in "his" coach. Just like the Twins - Falvey and Levine had to keep Molitor as manager because the owner said so. when things didn't work out, Falvey and Levine were able to bring in the coach they wanted.

IMHO, Saunders is starting the season on double-secret probation. He needs to win, and win now, to keep the job.

Maybe Saunders was Rosas choice all long? Seems doubtful and seems more like the owner already made that decision.

If the owner did make the decision he has already handcuffed Rosas. If you hire the guy as the POBO let him actually make this coaching decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way for the wolves to build success is if young talent buys into playing defense.

Last year, Saunders didn’t get them to buy in to playing defense. Which led me to hoping they went a different direction.

The only way for the wolves to build success is if young talent buys into playing defense.

Last year, Saunders didn’t get them to buy in to playing defense. Which led me to hoping they went a different direction.

You mean like hiring a defensive minded coach like Thibs? How'd that work out?

Saunders had to finish the season with all Thibs coaches. There is no time to practice new schemes. You need to look at different areas of the game to see what he did. Check out the efficiency of Towns, Jones, Okogie, Gorgi Deng and even Wiggens since Saunders took over. Towns production was amazing after Saunders took over, as was the rest of these guys. John Wall gives all credit to Saunders for his game when Saunders was with the Wizzards. Until Saunders came in there was virtually no improvement in the last three years with the players on this team. Saunders is huge in analytics (modern basketball). He will be way different coach than we've had. Great Hire.

You mean like hiring a defensive minded coach like Thibs? How'd that work out?
Tough to D up over 82 games, when you run your starters into ground. I also think Rondo, Pierce, KG and the bench players on those Celtics teams made Things look good. End of the day it's about Jimmy's and Joe's more so than the Xs and Os in the NBA

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Saunders had to finish the season with all Thibs coaches. There is no time to practice new schemes. You need to look at different areas of the game to see what he did. Check out the efficiency of Towns, Jones, Okogie, Gorgi Deng and even Wiggens since Saunders took over. Towns production was amazing after Saunders took over, as was the rest of these guys. John Wall gives all credit to Saunders for his game when Saunders was with the Wizzards. Until Saunders came in there was virtually no improvement in the last three years with the players on this team. Saunders is huge in analytics (modern basketball). He will be way different coach than we've had. Great Hire.

Correct, NBA teams can't just change things on the fly and typically have any results. Saunders works extremely hard and is well thought of with his peers. I hope he can do a good job. Again, it's really going to be fun with new POBO too. His two hires so far have been good. Assistant GM is well versed internationally and Ryan will bring a willingness to grow and change. We shouldn't be "behind" the curve as much anymore.

Tough to D up over 82 games, when you run your starters into ground. I also think Rondo, Pierce, KG and the bench players on those Celtics teams made Things look good. End of the day it's about Jimmy's and Joe's more so than the Xs and Os in the NBA

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The biggest issue for Thibs was the he sold that he was a "new and changed" man. He went on a sabbatical and learned new ways. None of this was true. His ICE D principals were innovative and strong against Pick and Roll/Isolation offenses. Problem is teams started going more open, free flowing, and more spaced. His principals basically had become outdated and he didn't adjust. Also Thib's biggest issue wasn't just an outdated knowledge set, he couldn't relate to literally anyone. Players, Management, and coaches.

Top Bottom