Iowa and Iowa State Twitter Accounts Suspended

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...cyclones-onlie-suspended-ia-teams/3719893002/

https://247sports.com/Article/Iowa-football-Iowa-State-Twitter--132148647/

"Two University of Iowa Athletics Department official twitter accounts have been suspended due to music copyright infringement in a limited number of posts in 2018," Iowa spokesperson Steve Roe told the Des Moines Register. "We are in the process of working with Twitter to resolve the issues and to ensure future posts are in compliance, and as a result, one of the accounts has been reactivated. We appreciate everyone’s patience and support of the UI Athletics Department social media accounts."

Iowa State spokesman Mike Green also said the university is "currently looking into the matter with Twitter.”

I wonder where the disconnect on the music rights happens. Is the record company flagging them incorrectly or are the media folks for the teams not using music from an approved library?

I wonder where the disconnect on the music rights happens. Is the record company flagging them incorrectly or are the media folks for the teams not using music from an approved library?

Possibly, although plenty of times these are bots flagging things so maybe they had the rights and a bot just reported them anyway.

You don't have to be right to file a DMCA request and there's generally no consequences to being wrong / twitter / youtube won't do anything about bad reports.

For all we know some jerk bot is out there going after anyone playing game highlights...

Last edited:

BMI and ASCAP do not fool around when they find violations of music usage rights. There can be some serious fines when someone uses unlicensed music.

Possibly, although plenty of times these are bots flagging things so maybe they had the rights and a bot just reported them anyway.
Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an overzealous bot/algorithm reporting these, although it wouldn't surprise me if a media intern added some music without understanding the DMCA landscape too.

Top Bottom