Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Big Ag Spraying Anti-biotics on Citrus Trees

Once again, Big Ag contributes to the destruction of life instead of nourishing it.

Florida and California farmers are allowed to spray their citrus trees with anti-biotics to try treat a bacterial infection in the trees. There is no evidence spraying even helps.

So the EPA allows unproven treatments of life-saving drugs so industry can stay rich. Everyone epse has to endure the drug resistant bacteria this will cause. This is incredibly short-sighted.

It should be a no-brainer not allow anti-biotic spraying. Of course, industry wins over all else. Disgusting. Crony-capitalism at its finest.

We need countervailing powers to stop this recklessness. I am about ready to endorse the complete end of Big Ag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    Once again, Big Ag contributes to the destruction of life instead of nourishing it.

Florida and California farmers are allowed to spray their citrus trees with anti-biotics to try treat a bacterial infection in the trees. There is no evidence spraying even helps.

So the EPA allows unproven treatments of life-saving drugs so industry can stay rich. Everyone epse has to endure the drug resistant bacteria this will cause. This is incredibly short-sighted.

It should be a no-brainer not allow anti-biotic spraying. Of course, industry wins over all else. Disgusting. Crony-capitalism at its finest.

We need countervailing powers to stop this recklessness. I am about ready to endorse the complete end of Big Ag.
    Yep. Big $$$ controls food, medical, pharmaceutical, university research, and more. Crony corporatism has controlled Washington and your life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Kingdom Warriors

Aren’t farmers allowed to not use antibiotics on their crops?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJake View Post
    Aren’t farmers allowed to not use antibiotics on their crops?
    Yes. You're also allowed to not be a jack@ss, but that doesn't stop you.

You've contributed absolutely nothing intellectually yet again. Why even post here anymore? We can tell you're bored with it.

Why are you concerned? The free market will fix this immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by cncmin View Post
    Why are you concerned? The free market will fix this immediately!
    Who hates iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    Yes. You're also allowed to not be a jack@ss, but that doesn't stop you.

You've contributed absolutely nothing intellectually yet again. Why even post here anymore? We can tell you're bored with it.
    He kind of made a good point though. No one is forcing the farmers to do this.
    Who hates iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    The market increases their monetary profits if they do so, therefore they do. Same thing with farmers everywhere, both livestock and crops. If it increases your margin (or keeps you afloat) to keep pigs on wooden slats their entire lives, feed them antiobiotics, and never let them outside of a barn, then you do. The problem isn't that all of the farmers want to do this, it's that some do, and those some force all of the others to do so, lest the rest be left behind to lose their business. And that, in a nutshell, is why we need laws and regulations - because the market is not correcting things, while people (and animals) are unnecessarily harmed on the pure basis of money.
    Last edited by cncmin; 05-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.

It's not a good point. Of course nobody is forcing them to. It should be illegal. They shouldn't have the ability to do it at all.

The market increases their monetary profits if they do so, therefore they do. Same thing with farmers everywhere, both livestock and crops. If it increases your margin (or keeps you afloat) to keep pigs on wooden slats their entire lives, feed them antiobiotics, and never let them outside of a barn, then you do. The problem isn't that all of the farmers want to do this, it's that some do, and those some force all of the others to do so, lest the rest be left behind to lose their business. And that, in a nutshell, is why we need laws and regulations.
    I'm sorry I'll try to be polite but every single thing you said here is wrong. No one is forcing farmers to do any of that. There are plenty of farmers that don't do the same thing every other farmer does. You can farm organic antibiotic free fruits/veggies/animals and lots of farmers do. And a lot of those farmers are making big bucks. They will continue to profit as more and more people like gopherguy realize just how bad for you the food they are eating is.
    Who hates iowa?

It's not a good point. Of course nobody is forcing them to. It should be illegal. They shouldn't have the ability to do it at all.
    D@mmit, I hate you for making me do this but I have to sound like S2 now. Sometimes more government intervention isn't always good. No body is should force farmers to farm a certain way either way. If a farmer wants to sell antibiotic sprayed crops they should be labeled as such and sold next to non antibiotic sprayed ones. Let the people decide what they want to eat.
    Who hates iowa?

I'm sorry I'll try to be polite but every single thing you said here is wrong. No one is forcing farmers to do any of that. There are plenty of farmers that don't do the same thing every other farmer does. You can farm organic antibiotic free fruits/veggies/animals and lots of farmers do. And a lot of those farmers are making big bucks. They will continue to profit as more and more people like gopherguy realize just how bad for you the food they are eating is.
    1. What I said was not wrong, and that said, neither was most of what you said (other than your first sentence).
    2. What you posed is a riskier short-term move for farmers to make (it's far easier to just use the chemicals), and often one that requires significant efforts and resources to accomplish, one that the average farmer clearly disagrees with you about, given the prevalence of the pesticide/antibiotic farming community versus the niche organic farming community.
    3. As "organic" farming increases in supply, the organic farming profit margins will decrease. They are profitable now because people buy the niche product. Still, there is a reason Walmart succeeded by selling Chinese crap at a slightly lower price than American-made goods to put American manufacturing and American-goods retailers out of business. Those that sell at the lower price will continue to generally have the larger market.
    Last edited by cncmin; 05-18-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    Yes.
    Great. Then why do we need government intervention?

1. What I said was not wrong, and that said, neither was most of what you said (other than your first sentence).
    2. What you posed is a riskier short-term move for farmers to make (it's far easier to just use the chemicals), and often one that requires significant efforts and resources to accomplish, one that the average farmer clearly disagrees with you about, given the prevalence of the pesticide/antibiotic farming community versus the niche organic farming community.
    3. As "organic" farming increases in supply, the organic farming profit margins will decrease. They are profitable now because people buy the niche product. Still, there is a reason Walmart succeeded by selling Chinese crap at a slightly lower price than American-made goods to put American manufacturing and American-goods retailers out of business. Those that sell at the lower price will continue to generally have the larger market.
    There are very large organic farming enterprises now, it's not just a "niche". Even walmart sells organic a long with every grocery store. Like I said as people become more aware of what they are doing to their bodies the market for better food will grow. I think you would be surprised how much money people can make having organic/antibiotic free farms. Big AG is in a war with them for a reason.
    Who hates iowa?

D@mmit, I hate you for making me do this but I have to sound like S2 now. Sometimes more government intervention isn't always good. No body is should force farmers to farm a certain way either way. If a farmer wants to sell antibiotic sprayed crops they should be labeled as such and sold next to non antibiotic sprayed ones. Let the people decide what they want to eat.
    Preventing anti-biotic resistant bacteria is more important than orange groves and short-term profit.