Rookie Jets LB Blake Cashman Gambled on Himself and Won

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Olivia:

Unlike most players who receive the opportunity to play in the NFL, Blake Cashman continued to pave his path in football as a walk-on at the University of Minnesota. The 6’2”, 235-pound rookie Jets linebacker sparked interest mainly from Division II schools, making his options to participate in a Division 1 program limited. But despite the boundaries he was given, Cashman saw his situation as an opportunity to prove what he was capable of.

“I didn’t have any Division I offers — they were all preferred walk-ons. I had a lot of Division II interest from some very reputable schools,” said Cashman. “I always wanted to play in the NFL. I’m somebody that has big ambitions and likes to set his goals high, so I know that with my work ethic and how much effort I apply to everyday processes, that I could take advantage of being a walk-on and earning a scholarship and play at that level. I took a gamble on myself and it paid off.”

The Green & White’s 2019 fifth-round pick headed into his first season with the Golden Gophers as a preferred walk-on before eventually earning a scholarship and becoming a staple on both the defense and special teams units. In four seasons at Minnesota, Cashman totaled 183 tackles, 12 sacks, seven passes defenses and two forced fumbles. After the 2016 season that saw Cashman accumulate 10.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks, he thought about football beyond the Golden Gophers.

“I knew I’d always give the NFL an opportunity, but it didn’t really hit me to know how great my opportunity would be until my sophomore year at Minnesota,” said Cashman. “I had a pretty good year and I started playing more and more as the year went on. I ended up being our Defensive MVP for a bowl game, so that year kind of hit me that I would have an opportunity and that just continued to motivate me to work hard and dedicate the rest of my time at Minnesota to making that dream come true.”

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/rookie-jets-lb-blake-cashman-gambled-on-himself-and-won

Go Gophers!!

He'll have to work his way up the depth chart. But he is used to that.

I wish him success in the NFL.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Top Bottom