STrib: Jelly finds a new home: ex-Gophers PG Isaiah Washington transfers to Iona

I won't cheer for people who abandon the program ESPECIALLY those who dug their own grave.

I get it somewhat. His body language was frustrating. But no one is expecting you to be his biggest cheerleader, but to be so harsh seems odd to me. To wish him luck and hope he does well seems a little more appropriate. To each their own.

I get it somewhat. His body language was frustrating. But no one is expecting you to be his biggest cheerleader, but to be so harsh seems odd to me. To wish him luck and hope he does well seems a little more appropriate. To each their own.

Maybe I am coming across as too harsh. I won't cheer for him to fail but I'm not going to wish him well either.

He committed to this program and then abandoned it when things weren't going his way. I can't cheer or support that.

By extension you can apply this to all the high level kids in MN that don't commit here. People here love to vilify those kids which I think is absurd. If a MN kid doesn't commit here then I'd still cheer for the guy. I LOVE seeing kids that represent this state have success on the national level. Yet at the same time if we signed a highly touted kid from this state who eventually transferred then no way would I cheer for him.

Bottom line is that I don't like players who commit here and then back out of their promise because things weren't 100% going the right way or that they simply weren't given minutes instead of actually earning them.

Maybe I am coming across as too harsh. I won't cheer for him to fail but I'm not going to wish him well either.

He committed to this program and then abandoned it when things weren't going his way. I can't cheer or support that.

By extension you can apply this to all the high level kids in MN that don't commit here. People here love to vilify those kids which I think is absurd. If a MN kid doesn't commit here then I'd still cheer for the guy. I LOVE seeing kids that represent this state have success on the national level. Yet at the same time if we signed a highly touted kid from this state who eventually transferred then no way would I cheer for him.

Bottom line is that I don't like players who commit here and then back out of their promise because things weren't 100% going the right way or that they simply weren't given minutes instead of actually earning them.

He wasn’t getting playing time. Things didnt work out. He transferred. Kids transfer all the time

There is also the possibility that both sides realized that things were not working out to either sides satisfaction. Maybe what we need is not something you're able to do well and what you can do well, isn't really effective enough for our needs. Maybe your strengths in our areas of need, aren't enough to overcome your weaknesses in other areas of need. In IW's case, I feel like his defensive troubles and lack of consistency were problems that were not getting better. Since a lot of coaches base playing time on what they're seeing in practice every day, I would guess that Pitino was looking for 2-3 weeks of consistency and solid defensive performance in practice and wasn't seeing it, hence, not a lot of floor time (unless he spotted occasional match-ups or game pacing situations) for IW. For a lot of coaches, consistency is VERY important (I've had several coaches tell me, "I need to know what to expect from a player when I put them in a game. If I'm not sure, I'm hesitant to play them".) and practice is where you show that coach if you're earned playing time. It appeared to me that Pitino could never be sure of what IW would do on the floor.

Instead of trying to force a square into a round hole, it looks like they agreed to help each other get you into a situation where it's a better fit for both parties. I think both sides handled the situation with class. I watched 80% of the games this year, and I saw a guy who was disappointed in the situation, but was very supportive of his teammates and tried his best when he was given the chance.

Sometimes, talented individuals aren't a good fit with the overall needs of the team. Happens all the time in life, sports and business. Sometimes a new start is a good thing for everybody.

But aren't both sides better off that he moved on? I won't cheer for a MN kid playing elsewhere. I am Gopher fan. I don't wish bad upon them (unless they go to Wisc), but would certainly rather hope someone like Jelly has more success. He actually wanted to be a Gopher and things just didn't work out.

There is also the possibility that both sides realized that things were not working out to either sides satisfaction. Maybe what we need is not something you're able to do well and what you can do well, isn't really effective enough for our needs. Maybe your strengths in our areas of need, aren't enough to overcome your weaknesses in other areas of need. In IW's case, I feel like his defensive troubles and lack of consistency were problems that were not getting better. Since a lot of coaches base playing time on what they're seeing in practice every day, I would guess that Pitino was looking for 2-3 weeks of consistency and solid defensive performance in practice and wasn't seeing it, hence, not a lot of floor time (unless he spotted occasional match-ups or game pacing situations) for IW. For a lot of coaches, consistency is VERY important (I've had several coaches tell me, "I need to know what to expect from a player when I put them in a game. If I'm not sure, I'm hesitant to play them".) and practice is where you show that coach if you're earned playing time. It appeared to me that Pitino could never be sure of what IW would do on the floor.

Instead of trying to force a square into a round hole, it looks like they agreed to help each other get you into a situation where it's a better fit for both parties. I think both sides handled the situation with class. I watched 80% of the games this year, and I saw a guy who was disappointed in the situation, but was very supportive of his teammates and tried his best when he was given the chance.

Sometimes, talented individuals aren't a good fit with the overall needs of the team. Happens all the time in life, sports and business. Sometimes a new start is a good thing for everybody.
Fair, reasonable post.
Wish IW well, and hope he makes us wish he'd pulled it together while here.

Things can change on both sides. And there is nothing wrong with that.

I'll cheer for him in every game he is not playing against us.

He's 19 years old. He never pouted when he was on the bench. His interactions with his teammates looked positive. There were no reports of off the court problems. He didn't criticize the program, the school or the state when he announced that he was going to transfer. It wasn't the right fit, but that's not a reason not to wish him well.

He's 19 years old. He never pouted when he was on the bench. His interactions with his teammates looked positive. There were no reports of off the court problems. He didn't criticize the program, the school or the state when he announced that he was going to transfer. It wasn't the right fit, but that's not a reason not to wish him well.

Exactly right

Understand the “quit on the program” logic, but this was more of a win-win situation. He wasn’t going to fit, so he gets a chance to play and we get a player that fits. I wish it would have worked here, but will cheer for him to do well. Unlike MN players that go somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread needs to die.

Bottom line:

Kids have 4 years of eligibility to play college ball. That's pretty darn valuable, just like a scholarship is. Would you want to sit for four years when you could play elsewhere? He already has burned two years of eligibility and seemed to be a good teammate and I never heard of any academic problems. He didn't slam Pitino or the U on his exit.

Seems like a win-win. I hope he does well. He has a year to learn their system and two years to make something of it. Good Luck Jelly!

ESPN: College basketball transfer rankings for 2019-20 and 2020-21

43. Isaiah Washington, 6-1, 195 pounds, PG, Soph., Minnesota
Committed to Iona
Came into college with some hype due to his flashy play and top-100 ranking, but couldn't carve out a consistent role in two seasons. Averaged 4.3 points and 2.8 assists.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...-basketball-transfer-rankings-2019-20-2020-21

Go Gophers!!

He was selected to be Matz's "family" for senior night. Sounds like he was well liked by his teammates to me.

He never pouted when he was on the bench.

Still, Pitino also mentioned Stull was showing great effort in practice, which could be a sign Washington isn’t giving it his all behind the scenes. Body language has always been an issue for the playmaking New York native.

http://www.startribune.com/takeaways-from-gophers-basketball-s-big-win-at-wisconsin/503942992/

There was a stretch where RP said IW's body language had to improve.... and it did. He was unhappy and handled it pretty well, but there was definitely 'some' pouting.

I'm never going to be too mad at a kid for being not as good at a sport as I would like him to be. Evaluating and signing adequate talent is the coach's job. At the end of the day, IW gave us two years if his life, and never embarrassed us with scandal off the court. Wish it would have worked out better, and hope he finds success at Iona.

Top Bottom