Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default STrib: Jelly finds a new home: ex-Gophers PG Isaiah Washington transfers to Iona

per Marcus:

Former Gophers point guard Isaiah Washington will transfer to Iona College for next season, the Star Tribune confirmed Wednesday night.

Washington, a former four-star recruit, announced he was leaving Minnesota’s program last month after he struggled to find playing time during his sophomore season.

His scoring dropped from 8.7 points as a freshman to 4.3 this year, but he also averaged career-best 2.8 assists in 16.1 minutes per game.

The former New York prep player of the year and co-founder of the “Jelly Fam” brand arrived in Minnesota from St. Raymond’s High School in the Bronx with high expectations in 2017. After having a tough time in the Big Ten living up his social media stardom and hype, he’ll be playing closer to home in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

CBSSports’ Jon Rothstein first reported Washington’s transfer Wednesday night to play for the Iona Gaels. Washington later followed with a tweet: “Go gaels…jelly home.”

http://www.startribune.com/jelly-fin...ona/510000452/

Go Gophers!!

Oof - going from Power 5 school to Iona!

A far cry from the B1G, but hopefully a better fit for the young man. Close to home. Four straight NCAA appearances -- although they're 1-13 in the Dance, and only have three victories against ranked opponents, the last coming in 2005.

JTG

Blog Entries

Good for Jelly.

Pretty decent chance he'll get to play in another NCAA Tournament or two. Iona has played in last 4 NCAA tourneys, and 5 of the last 7.

Good luck IW. Iona is one of the winningest mid-majors of recent memory. I'll be cheering for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nooram View Post

I'm sure he will get it..or maybe.... well...who the heck knows... coin flips are 50/50
    signed
    NCAA

Think this is a great spot for him. Close to home, Cluess is a pretty good coach and he can be a big fish in a small pond. I’m sure he wants to play right away but a year away to work on his fundamentals and jumper may not be the worst thing for him. Hopefully it works out for him.

This is nothing against Isaiah but if he gets a waiver the NCAA may as well just make everyone instantly eligible because the only hardship was that he wasn't good enough to earn regular minutes here.

I hope it works out for him at Iona but he should be required to sit for a year before being eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    This is nothing against Isaiah but if he gets a waiver the NCAA may as well just make everyone instantly eligible because the only hardship was that he wasn't good enough to earn regular minutes here.

I hope it works out for him at Iona but he should be required to sit for a year before being eligible.
    He has sick grandparents that live in/near NYC. So I think that is the reasoning for the hardship waiver, if he gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post

He'll get it, has a sick grandma and Minnesota is gonna try to help him get it.

I got a feeling it isn't going to work out well at Iona. I figured he would end up at a small MAAC or Northeast Conference school, but Iona is a successful team. He would fit better on a team that loses a bunch but he gets to shoot 25 times and play half-hearted defense.

Quote Originally Posted by whalenfan View Post
    He'll get it, has a sick grandma and Minnesota is gonna try to help him get it.
    That shows class by Pitino and the U. Unlike Pitt did for our player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping he would go to Annapolis so he would become Naval Jelly.

Good for him, I'm glad he is landing on his feet.
    Who hates iowa?