Minnehaha Academy's Craig McDonald Ruled Ineligible to Play His Senior Year.

But again, it goes back to the original decision by the parents to start the kid in school at an earlier age.

I can appreciate that the kid is paying the price for a decision made by his parents - but it was their decision. They don't get to turn around now and say "oh, please excuse or ignore the rules in this case." that's not how it works.

Look, I am not a fan of the MSHSL. But in this case, the MSHSL is enforcing a rule that is in the books. you can't fault them for that.

If you start allowing kids an extra year because of "social development," then you're creating a loophole that some people will try to exploit for athletic reasons.

And BTW - when I was in HS, I knew a kid from another school who had to stop playing midway through his senior year - because he turned 20 years old. He had been held back twice for academic reasons. Dumb as a post - but a good basketball player.

But again, it goes back to the original decision by the parents to start the kid in school at an earlier age.

I can appreciate that the kid is paying the price for a decision made by his parents - but it was their decision. They don't get to turn around now and say "oh, please excuse or ignore the rules in this case." that's not how it works.

Look, I am not a fan of the MSHSL. But in this case, the MSHSL is enforcing a rule that is in the books. you can't fault them for that.

If you start allowing kids an extra year because of "social development," then you're creating a loophole that some people will try to exploit for athletic reasons.

And BTW - when I was in HS, I knew a kid from another school who had to stop playing midway through his senior year - because he turned 20 years old. He had been held back twice for academic reasons. Dumb as a post - but a good basketball player.

its a stupid rule. There are age limits in place. Kids only get 4 years of HS eligibility. If they fall within the age limits and don't go over their 4 years then what is the possible reason for punishing a kid. So its ok if a kid starts Kindergarten at 6 but not if they start at 5 then hold back a year? And its ok to stay back in terms of academics but not athletics? Its stupid

its a stupid rule. There are age limits in place. Kids only get 4 years of HS eligibility. If they fall within the age limits and don't go over their 4 years then what is the possible reason for punishing a kid. So its ok if a kid starts Kindergarten at 6 but not if they start at 5 then hold back a year? And its ok to stay back in terms of academics but not athletics? Its stupid

100% correct.

If he has only played 3 seasons with MSHSL member schools as a 9th grader or higher, and none in any other state in those grades, and is less than 19 years old ........ how on Earth is it physically, humanly possible for him to have an advantage?????

Incredibly stupid.

Makes you wonder if this was retribution for not signing with the Gophers, frankly.

Or on the flip side of the same coin, if he had signed with the Gophers, you wonder if whoever was sitting on this would've continued to sit on it.

100% correct.

If he has only played 3 seasons with MSHSL member schools as a 9th grader or higher, and none in any other state in those grades, and is less than 19 years old ........ how on Earth is it physically, humanly possible for him to have an advantage?????

Incredibly stupid.

Makes you wonder if this was retribution for not signing with the Gophers, frankly.

Yep. Meanwhile we have commits from two brothers in IL (from the town I used to live in), (fairly racist place btw) from two brothers in their sophomore year but one of them is already 17 and will graduate at 19 while the other is 15 and will graduate at 17. This is stupid

Serious question...do you think the family made the decision at the age of 13 with the intent of giving Craig an advantage athletically over his peers rather than improving his academic success? It seems implausible to me that was the intent but as I said before, my personal opinion on the topic has plenty of flaws.

I have no idea with this family. But, yes, I do think it happens all the time. I don't think the rule would be in place if it wasn't happening.

I have no idea with this family. But, yes, I do think it happens all the time. I don't think the rule would be in place if it wasn't happening.

You don't get it. If I don't like a thing .... it must be nonsensical, it couldn't possibly be that I don't understand it.

On the high school hockey board, there is a thread on a kid in the same spot this year. Did 8th grade twice and so as a senior he can't play varsity hockey. Granted for those kids they just go to juniors. Football has no such thing...
Can't they go to a Prep school, 13th grade type of thing like in hoops

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You don't get it. If I don't like a thing .... it must be nonsensical, it couldn't possibly be that I don't understand it.

It absolutely does happen but as a previous poster said, I don't have a problem with it if it's pre-HS. It should be all about what helps the student succeed academically (first and foremost) but also athletically.

I can't see how Craig McDonald being held back a grade in Jr. High hurt anyone.

100% correct.

Incredibly stupid.

Actually, what is important here is that the MSHSL retains the right to expel students from sports for any reason they see fit. Any hardship he faces now is not the fault of the MSHSL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you guys can find it, you need to watch a documentary titled Go Tigers. It's about HS football in Massilon, Ohio; that's where the Speilman boys grew up, and home to Paul Brown. It's well worth the watch. Anyway, they interview a few teachers talking about how many 8th graders are held back for simply football reasons. They don't even try to hide it.

here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmABDakTmI

That is an outstanding documentary. Used to own the DVD now can watch again.
Much appreciated!!

I’ll assume this instance falls under MSHSL General Eligibility Rule 8.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Actually, what is important here is that the MSHSL retains the right to expel students from sports for any reason they see fit.

They've never had that right.

For example, they can't declare a player ineligible because he is black. Why you want them to be able to do that, I have no idea.

Actually, what is important here is that the MSHSL retains the right to expel students from sports for any reason they see fit. Any hardship he faces now is not the fault of the MSHSL.

Too funny!
G4L won’t understand

hahahahahha. G4L didn't even get the joke. This was a solid zing, well done.

Why is it a funny joke that Spoofin wants the MSHSL to be able to rule a player ineligible because of race?? Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

He said “any reason”, so that’s literally what he meant. Contrast that to the other thread, where I was whipping you all like the red-headed stepchildren you were, that has a highly specific, logical reason.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. When you’ve been defeated in argument and can’t think of anything else to counter with, call the other person stupid. The GH way: coward out of the debate.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. When you’ve been defeated in argument and can’t think of anything else to counter with, call the other person stupid. The GH way: coward out of the debate.

Is calling someone a simpleton calling them stupid?

Why is it a funny joke that Spoofin wants the MSHSL to be able to rule a player ineligible because of race?? Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

He said “any reason”, so that’s literally what he meant. Contrast that to the other thread, where I was whipping you all like the red-headed stepchildren you were, that has a highly specific, logical reason.

You must be a AOC fan!

Great insult you added. Couldn't come up with that the first time and had to edit your post huh? Too bad I quoted your post before you added it. Spoof got you so good I can see why you would be so butt hurt. Being the gender confused progressive you are I'm sure you are on your 2nd box of kleenex. Let me know if you need a cream recommendation for that burn.

You must’ve missed he part where I explained why his carelessness in using “any reason” completely invalidates his supposedly “clever” retort.

Oh man he got you so good, I may never let you live this down. That burn will live on as long as you continue to be the dumbest poster here. Oh by the way why aren't you answering my question? Is calling someone a simpleton calling them stupid? Pretty sure by your logic you lost all your arguments long ago.

Top Bottom